It looks like CH-46 is one type that I have not touched yet - I will start doing some research for a new sheet. Realistically speaking, this is probably for early 2022.

It appears that there have been several nice sheets, mostly covering the USMC career of the type post Desert Storm. I am drawn to the high-vis Navy and early USMC schemes, and perhaps foreign KV-107s. What would you be interested in seeing on a new CH-46 sheet?

45 minutes ago, KursadA said:

It looks like CH-46 is one type that I have not touched yet - I will start doing some research for a new sheet. Realistically speaking, this is probably for early 2022.

It appears that there have been several nice sheets, mostly covering the USMC career of the type post Desert Storm. I am drawn to the high-vis Navy and early USMC schemes, and perhaps foreign KV-107s. What would you be interested in seeing on a new CH-46 sheet?

To be honest I am very interested in D Storm and have never been able to find a CH-46 sheet especially in 1/72, so if you could I would be very grateful.

@KursadA. YES! FINALLY! 

Academy kit in 1/48 scale; Fujimi / Testors kit in 1/72 are the best kits. You may need to acquire both the large sponson and regular sponson kits to do both US and foreign machines.

I have 2 or 3 excellent resources that I will lend you.

Let's see!  Besides the usual Navy Utility [HC] squadrons & station/ship rescue flights, USMC Medium Helicopter Squadrons [HMM, HMX-1] & station rescue flights, there is: early RCAF & Cdn ARMY, early & late CAF, JASDF, JGSDF, JMSDF, Saudi Ministry of Interior GCDA, Swedish Air Force & Navy!  And, though it would require modifying the windows and installing an airline interior, I would love to see the New York Airways Pepsi scheme, Tokyo Police, 4 or 5 Japanese airlines [variations on a basic scheme.], and Columbia Helicopters as well, but that may have to wait for when you launch your airline decals. 

Check out the www.Helis.com/database Boeing-Vertol 107II site. I entered every Boeing-Vertol & Kawasaki-Vertol 107 into the db.

K/r,

Dutch

[One of my personal favorites, KV-107IIA-SM-1, cn4139, KSA, GCDA MOI 14 shown at the Kawasaki plant with temporary Japanese registration JQ4139 undergoing overhaul circa mid 1990s.]

8309_KV-107IIA-SM-1_MOI14_JQ4139_31May84.thumb.jpg.af6d956dd6ebfb6f236f9316471f4f3a.jpg 

Edited by Dutch
add photo.

I'll toss you some ideas for some USN helos in the old Engine Gray schemes, East Coast, West Coast, and Guam based squadrons. All the CH-46 squadrons had cool tail markings and the amount of special Det markings and ship names is innumerable. Looking forward to this sheet!

East coast , NAS Norfolk HC-8 Dragon Whales:
HC-8-squadron-photo-039.jpg

HC-8 older scheme with "tail flash"

HC-8-squadron-photo-047.jpg

West coast NAS N. Island, HC-11 Gun Bearers:

HC-11-squadron-photo-039.jpg

Guam based HC-5 Providers, NAS Agana:

HC-5-squadron-photo-035.jpg

Edited by 82Whitey51

What was the Marine squadron with eyes? HMM-163?

Phrogs looked cool with those eyes on the nose. It just really fits that aircraft well, like the RAF/AVG sharks mouth on the P-40.

I don't think I've ever seen decals with the early scheme from that squadron, like the solid dark green or the green/gray camo.

1024px-CH-46E_HMM-163_1989.JPEG

aHun-24.jpg

Edited by dmk0210

I would like to suggest:

CH-46D 153389 "Blood Sweat and Tears" HMA-263

On January, 1970, US Marine Corps Pfc. Mike Clausen, Jr. earned the Medal of Honor as a crew chief on this helicopter.

The actual aircraft is now preserved at the Carolinas Aviation Museum.

Carolinas Aviation Museum - Press - CH-46 Blood, Sweat & Tears" Arrives at Museum (chacweb.com)

Carolinas Aviation Museum CH-46 Sea Knight "Blood, Sweat & Tears" (flyian.net)

CH-46D 153389 1.jpg

CH-46D 153389 2.jpg

CH-46D 153389 3.jpg

Hi, nice idea af H-46. I was researching it a bit. No idea when they started using composite blades on them, but unless you can scratchbuild it (pretty easy from pics I have seen), you can not build one OOB as no kit (HB or Fujimi in 1:72) has those composite blades. And all Hobby Boss kits except CH-46E 87223 are missing the pointed EAPS screens. I know this table is mainly for Gulf war, but you will get the picture for 72 and for 48 kits ..

https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/build_instructions/h-46_en.html

Edited by JakubJakepilot
  • 3 weeks later...

Folks, I have to confess that I have been trying to figure out this "stencil" for the last couple of days - it finally dawned on me that this looks like the pre-1993 US Postal Service logo - probably a joke that refers to these Sea Knights' role in delivering mail (among other things) to Navy ships. What do you think?

ch46q1.jpg 

ch46q2.jpg  

2 hours ago, Hajo L. said:

Isn´t that some sort of copyright-violation by the US Navy then?? 😉

HAJO

How so? Both are mostly government agencies. If one unit/bird I was thinking someone had a friend as a Postmaster but being different units/dets and carrying US Mail the USPS probably gave them to the USN.

• 1 month later...