AMT's 1/650 TOS USS Enterprise

Was given this model a so gift so I wanted to try building it.  The plastic is something else and it's alignment in some parts is virtually non existent.   Anyone who has build something from the 60's, more power to you! 🙂  Scalemates show the box image as from 1983, yet the copyright says 1968.  Fun build so far, in the process of puttying the seams right now.

20210313_180837

20210313_180818

20210313_180821

20210313_180824 20210313_180829

Small box release of the original tool long box kit. The pylon alignment is going to be a chore because AMT cut the slots incorrectly. So if you square them up to the slots the engines will splay outwards. So you have to angle them in a bit.

On mine I built it as a studio scale USS Constellation replica (droopy pylon and all).

connie8.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 5:35 AM, Jay Chladek said:

Small box release of the original tool long box kit. The pylon alignment is going to be a chore because AMT cut the slots incorrectly. So if you square them up to the slots the engines will splay outwards. So you have to angle them in a bit.

On mine I built it as a studio scale USS Constellation replica (droopy pylon and all).

connie8.jpg

Wow. She's a beauty. Could pass for the studio model. They did use a AMT kit.

On 4/17/2021 at 7:41 AM, midnightprowler said:

Wow. She's a beauty. Could pass for the studio model. They did use a AMT kit.

Yup, and that is why I did it the way I did. The burn marks and damage mirror what the actual studio model had, even down to using about the same pieces of cut and bent sprue in spots. Only thing that wasn't studio model based were the markings, which came from a Round 2 release Enterprise kit. I figure if TOS had the resources in 68, they would have marked it better than they did.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Slowly but surely coming along.  It's taking so long due to the paint I am using clogging my airbrush.  Once I get some coverage, then it's clogged.

SAM_8334 SAM_8335 SAM_8336 SAM_8337 SAM_8340

SAM_8338 SAM_8339 SAM_8341

,,,and then we come to the deflector dish.  I am not happy with how the coverage came along, so I am going to redo this.

SAM_8342

As a kid, I had an original issue, complete with the light on the saucer.

My big brother, who was an excellent builder, (skills he would later use as an architect), did a great job on it, painting the ship a pale blue...the way it looked on our TV.

Yes, the pylons looked off, but I don't recall any major seam issues.

Ther are all sorts of seam issues on every version of that old war horse ever put out. I built a first edition as well, and didn't care lol. In fact that lighted edition, the engineering hull was designed to come apart, to replace the batteries for the saucer and warp engine lights.

Edited by midnightprowler
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Back to my build.  Paint is almost done, just some touch ups.  Forgot my own warning about the plastic and the lacquer thinner.  Almost melted the deflector dish.  Ran into one of the nacelles breaking off, so had to repair that.  Made harder since the internal brace broke off during the build.  A very interesting model for certain.

SAM_8360

SAM_8361

SAM_8368

SAM_8370

SAM_8353

SAM_8354

SAM_8355

SAM_8356

SAM_8357

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...