OK everyone, I finally got started on my Tomcat. I have a couple of Hasegawa 'cats in the stash, but I decided to use this pig's ear for this GB. I think Tomcats look best in Jolly Rogers or Wolfpack markings, but I don't plan on "wasting" either of my VF-1 or VF-84 sheets on this kit. I've decided to go with some "special" markings, but you're going to have to wait and see what I have in store. 

I'm going to build this kit mostly OOB, and I got started with the cockpit. The only extra that I added to the office was a small disk of iridescent film that I punched for the HUD.

LRhdc1K.jpg

The airframe I'm building is based on a few pictures I saw in a book. The airframe is on the ramp undergoing maintenance but is "kneeling." In order to get that same stance with my kit, I stole the lower part of the NLG from one of my Hasegawa kits and grafted it onto the Academy nose gear. I cut up the Academy part and removed the "knob" from the Hasegawa part. From there it was a simple as drilling up into the Academy part to accept the modified Hase part. In the end, it all worked out perfectly.

iLDOFgy.jpg

tejXSOx.jpg

gkHFV7J.jpg

4i5Qo6r.jpg

OK, I don't know if I'll be able to pump out a product with the same quality results as the other 'cats I'm seeing in this GB, but I think this will be a good learning experience for me. I hope that at the end of it all, what I turn out will look enough like a Tomcat to pass.

That's it for now. I'll post more progress when there's more progress to post.

Cheers!

-O

Oh man. I remember how much time I spent deliberating if I should cough up my pocket money on Academy F-14 in 1/48. I loved the one in 1/72 and thought this one would be at least three times the fun. Never got one though. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for You.