Hello ARC!  Here is my first completion for 2021.

Spitfire Mk XVI LF, TE199, flown by Air Officer Commanding of RAF No.21 Group, Swinderby AB, September 1948

Rrh4btF.jpg

It is the 1/48 Eduard Mk XVI with Barracudacast snapshot cockpit upgrade, Maketar paint masks for the roundels/fin flash, and Brassin landing gear, and Brassin wheels.  Most paints MRP, except Gold (Gunze MC217), with the top coat MRP Jet Black.

This is the first black airplane I’ve modeled.  I tried to make it visually interesting, while staying true to form and not exaggerating things too much.   I also went with the lighter roundel color and gold surrounds as suggested by the LifeLike decal sheet, as it appears TE199 may have had these at least for a short time in her life.   

Thanks for looking!

Steve

2pAaQK0.jpg

MbJVwYD.jpg

5dxm1hO.jpg

UABXrcy.jpg

Edited by Falconxlvi
3 hours ago, cruiz said:

I really liked the work you did; an overall black finish could be tricky to make interesting, but you nailed it.

Congratulations, and thanks for sharing.

Thanks Carlos!  I think the preshading really helped on this one.  I used a lot of greys and blues on the top and greys and browns on the bottom.   

Steve

• 1 month later...

Super cool job, Steve!  Fabulous job on the panel lines, and the subtle weathering!  That must have been a touch finish to do well, but you nailed it.  There's something I like about a plainly marked airplane.  In fact, I've got a second 1/48 Eduard Mk. VIII on the way (the first one was my very first airplane model from a few years back, and I finished that one in the high altitude, extended wing tip, Medium Sea Gray top and Prussian Blue underside) and the new one I want to do in the MD280 , No. 155 Squadron RAF, Burma, 1945 scheme, which reminds me the tiniest bit of what you did here, although with one big white stripe around each wing and on the elevators.  Again, great job!! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2021 at 9:16 PM, ChernayaAkula said:

Beautiful Spit! 😍 The black came out great. :thumbsup:

Thanks!  Yes, it was fun to try and make black interesting.  I’m glad you like it 👍🏻

On 4/28/2021 at 9:15 PM, Curt B said:

Super cool job, Steve!  Fabulous job on the panel lines, and the subtle weathering!  That must have been a touch finish to do well, but you nailed it.  There's something I like about a plainly marked airplane.  In fact, I've got a second 1/48 Eduard Mk. VIII on the way (the first one was my very first airplane model from a few years back, and I finished that one in the high altitude, extended wing tip, Medium Sea Gray top and Prussian Blue underside) and the new one I want to do in the MD280 , No. 155 Squadron RAF, Burma, 1945 scheme, which reminds me the tiniest bit of what you did here, although with one big white stripe around each wing and on the elevators.  Again, great job!! 

Thanks for stopping by Curt!  I’m looking forward to seeing your second Spitfire!  These 1/48 Eduard Spitfires are absolute gems to build 👍🏻

Steve

On 5/11/2021 at 3:30 PM, Falconxlvi said:

Thanks!  Yes, it was fun to try and make black interesting.  I’m glad you like it 👍🏻

Thanks for stopping by Curt!  I’m looking forward to seeing your second Spitfire!  These 1/48 Eduard Spitfires are absolute gems to build 👍🏻

Steve

Hey, Steve!  While I got that second Eduard Mk VIII, and a hard to find Eduard Kit No. 1191 – Spitfire Mk.IX ‘The Longest Day’ Limited Edition, which I found in a hobby store in Canada (this one is all D Day invasion stripe Spitfires), I'm actually working on my Eduard 8282 Spitfire Mk IXc Early Version, which I'm going to do in U.S. markings in Tunisia (middle stone and dark earth camo).  It will be a great compliment to my Airfix Hurricane, also done in Tunisian camo!  I'll take picture of both when I finish the Spitfire!

Edited by Curt B
48 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Hey, Steve!  While I got that second Eduard Mk VIII, and a hard to find Eduard Kit No. 1191 – Spitfire Mk.IX ‘The Longest Day’ Limited Edition, which I found in a hobby store in Canada (this one is all D Day invasion stripe Spitfires), but I'm actually working on my Eduard 8282 Spitfire Mk IXc Early Version, which I'm going to do in U.S. markings in Tunisia (middle stone and dark earth camo).  It will be a great compliment to my Airfix Hurricane, also done in Tunisian camo!  I'll take picture of both when I finish the Spitfire!

Oooo, that’s a great scheme!   Good choice 😊