Looks like the HKM 1/48 B-17F is out

Oh man I'm gonna see me missing a lot of meals in the future. That $99 price tag is not all that bad. Spru Brothers gets $118 for the B17G, and I got mine on the deal of the day for $83. Down side is that the landing gear are too long, but Eduard has a set for $44. Let hope they redesigned the landing gear for this kit. Never like the SAC legs, and keep hoping that SOW does a set. I'm good for two of the F model for sure. Now lets hope for an E model!!

gary

No, the landing gear is still ugly. I'd be robbing a pair of Monogram legs from the spares box but that would violate the terms & conditions of the comparison build I'm doing (Revell vs. HK). I also have the G Early in the stash so it'll likely happen with that build.

A couple of things I do like about the kit; it comes with parts for an astrodome (the kit OOB is Memphis Belle which didn't have one) and it also comes with another, single gun nose cone for the secondary decal option. Also includes that four legged frame that holds the gun in place. Gives the builder more options as that twin gun nose Belle wore wasn't as common. Disappointed they didn't include the Lockheed/Vega nose window configuration but maybe a resin supplier will whip one up for it.

The flaws have been discussed ad nauseam on the interwebs so I'm not going to rehash them here but if I was to pick the one that annoys me particularly hard, it's those perky outboard engine nacelles.

17 hours ago, WymanV said:

No, the landing gear is still ugly. I'd be robbing a pair of Monogram legs from the spares box but that would violate the terms & conditions of the comparison build I'm doing (Revell vs. HK). I also have the G Early in the stash so it'll likely happen with that build.

A couple of things I do like about the kit; it comes with parts for an astrodome (the kit OOB is Memphis Belle which didn't have one) and it also comes with another, single gun nose cone for the secondary decal option. Also includes that four legged frame that holds the gun in place. Gives the builder more options as that twin gun nose Belle wore wasn't as common. Disappointed they didn't include the Lockheed/Vega nose window configuration but maybe a resin supplier will whip one up for it.

The flaws have been discussed ad nauseam on the interwebs so I'm not going to rehash them here but if I was to pick the one that annoys me particularly hard, it's those perky outboard engine nacelles.

Eduard sells a metal landing gear set for this kit. They're proud of it ($44), and I hoping SOW gets involved. I've never really noticed the nose issue as others have, but not denying it either. The one thing that got me to buy the B17g was the surface detail. Just looks the part to me. The out board engines don't slightly look as bad as some folks claim, but with a disclaimer I have not seriously looked at them from a vertical view. That'll come later with something in real life to compare it to.

gary

2 hours ago, ChesshireCat said:

Eduard sells a metal landing gear set for this kit. They're proud of it ($44), and I hoping SOW gets involved. I've never really noticed the nose issue as others have, but not denying it either. The one thing that got me to buy the B17g was the surface detail. Just looks the part to me. The out board engines don't slightly look as bad as some folks claim, but with a disclaimer I have not seriously looked at them from a vertical view. That'll come later with something in real life to compare it to.

gary

I’ve asked this question in several forums in regards to the length of the Eduard gear and haven’t got an answer, but looking at images I think it may only be a copy.

Edited by Scooby
26 minutes ago, Scooby said:

I’ve asked this question in several forums and haven’t got an answer, but looking at images I think it may only be a copy.

It still has a "fat" fuselage from nose to tail but the flat area in front of the windscreen has been addressed.

1/48 HK B-17 Interior Parts

If you look at the instrument panel bulkhead you can see that it's indeed flattened whereas on the 1/32 kit its a completely circular shape. 

6 minutes ago, zerosystem said:

It still has a "fat" fuselage from nose to tail but the flat area in front of the windscreen has been addressed.

1/48 HK B-17 Interior Parts

If you look at the instrument panel bulkhead you can see that it's indeed flattened whereas on the 1/32 kit its a completely circular shape. 

I was replying to the question about the Eduard brass landing gear, if they shortened the oleo extension. Based on pictures I don’t think they did.

Edit: I see I forgot to specify that.

Edited by Scooby
20 hours ago, Scooby said:

I’ve asked this question in several forums in regards to the length of the Eduard gear and haven’t got an answer, but looking at images I think it may only be a copy.

you might have just saved me forty four dollars! I thought about reworking the kit landing gear, but the oleo sorta scares me. SAC makes a set, but they don't really look great in photos that I've seen. I think our best hope is that SOW gets involved (think he already does the 1/32 kit legs). Now if we could get Revell to revise their (Monogram) B17's with all the data they gleaned for the 1/72 kits. The basic kit is great, but as I said before; the surface finish on the HK kit is want sold me. Should Revell choose to upgrade their old B17 with more detailed parts inside and outside they'd have a winner.

gary

On 3/18/2021 at 5:40 PM, K5054NZ said:

Tom Cleaver has written a build review and says the nose issue is fixed.

Among the observations I stirred up on the FB page where I'm posting progress pics is that while the top of the nose had the "round" taken out of it in front of the windscreen the sides where the windows are look "pinched" and was described as looking like hollowed cheeks. Haven't gotten far enough in this build to pull the nose pieces out of the bags and compare them to the Revell kit but I certainly will be 👍

On 3/18/2021 at 7:08 PM, zerosystem said:

They corrected it on the 1/48 early -G kit, can't imagine that they went back to the incorrect frame profile for this one.

What exactly did they correct?

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/19/2021 at 1:54 PM, ChesshireCat said:

you might have just saved me forty four dollars! I thought about reworking the kit landing gear, but the oleo sorta scares me. SAC makes a set, but they don't really look great in photos that I've seen. I think our best hope is that SOW gets involved (think he already does the 1/32 kit legs). Now if we could get Revell to revise their (Monogram) B17's with all the data they gleaned for the 1/72 kits. The basic kit is great, but as I said before; the surface finish on the HK kit is want sold me. Should Revell choose to upgrade their old B17 with more detailed parts inside and outside they'd have a winner.

gary

I didn’t save you $40.00, the Eduard Brassin set is corrected, they are not at full extension, I have now seen them in person.

On 3/18/2021 at 7:20 PM, Scooby said:

lets hope not. Making a tool to shorten the stance is not hard if you have a lathe, but the oleos are another story. SAC also does a set for less than half of the Eduard price, but once again are they correct? I keep thinking SOW will someday, as he already does the 1/32 kit legs.

gary