Dumb bombs used by Saudi's in the first gulf wqr

Yes thanks for that. I've seen it.  I was wanting to know if the M-117 bombs were just the normal dumb dumb withe normal tail and are these the same bombs that come in the 1/32 Revell RAF tornado kit?  I see the Saudis carried a dual rack that held 2 bombs on each rack and they carried a total of eight bombs (4 racks with 2 bombs on each dual rack)

Maurizio at videoaviation has the M/117 resin bombs in 1/32 scale so I'll get some from him to put on my Saudi tornado

Edited by Modelkeenfan
  • 2 weeks later...

I would be SHOCKED if the Saudis used M117s. AFAIK, only the B-52s dropped M117s during ODS. I do remember seeing a video showing a Saudi IDS carrying Mk 84s on the outboard fuselage stations.

The British used Mk 117/13 dumb bombs since the 50s.  That is what the RAF started op GRANBY with and it was about a week or so into the war that they started using the paveway As they only introduced the TIALD targeting pods at the same time.  But the RAF only had about 5 TIALD pods, so one tornado carried the TIALD pod and he did all he target paining for the rest of the tornados with the Paveways.

6 hours ago, Modelkeenfan said:

The British used Mk 117/13 dumb bombs since the 50s.  That is what the RAF started op GRANBY with and it was about a week or so into the war that they started using the paveway As they only introduced the TIALD targeting pods at the same time.  But the RAF only had about 5 TIALD pods, so one tornado carried the TIALD pod and he did all he target paining for the rest of the tornados with the Paveways.

Also the Buccaneers that carried the Pave Spike had also arrived in theatre to lase for the Tornados.

Also this might help with your original quest:- https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/loadout/tornado.html

Edited by Jabba29
On 3/27/2021 at 4:32 AM, Modelkeenfan said:

A slight correction here the RAF only had 2 TIALD pods, named Tracey and Sandra from Viz comics, but they did have 5 aircraft modded to be fitted with these pods.