Minibase 1/48 su-33

Good day everyone,

While I wait to take more pictures of my recently finished f-16 aggressor build I started on the complex Minibase su-33.

So far extras include just the resin harnesses from SP model. These are 3d printed and have a very lovely fabric ripple effect. This was where I started.  The harness was a good practice in painting and weathering.  The stock PE from thr examples online look fantastic but of course present a different challenge. 

RnIqih6.jpg

ASaHyv8.jpg

After I had finished the belt n harness I slowly built the rest of the seat. With so many different parts and kit decals for every detail it was a treat. 

TMwFAUp.jpg

jO9bl8x.jpg

5aU58sJ.jpg

cVrMX4l.jpg

WwguCSB.jpg

Looking forward into the instructions I foresee this to be a long drawn out build. This of course would be rewarded with 1:1 scale likeness unheard of in the realm of 1/48 modelling. 

Enjoy this new build!

Konbini

Edited by konbini
Changed sb to sp model
1 hour ago, rom said:

Very nice seat!

Thanks rom!   Of course the kit multipart mini -model of a seat helped big time. 

1 hour ago, crackerjazz said:

That 3D-printed harness looks amazing.  And it doesn't seem to have any visible lines.   What did you paint and weather it with?

There are very fine 3d print lines but for the most part they disappeared under a layer or two of mr surfacer (i used 1500). 

They are more apparent on the seat "cushion" because of the lack of gradient (yes, it's strange). With the ripples and many folds the print lines disappear but with less gradient the steps do become more apparent. I got around this by spraying surfacer then sanding the steps. This took about 3 tries. 

After the initial surfacer coats I hand painted mr color lacquers and mixing them on a plastic "palette" until I like the shade. Some of the more browner elements were done using tamiya acrylics.   Weathering was done using a mix of tamiya panel line enamels dark brown and black, dry brushing with tamiya acrylic buff and grey, then sealing it up using matte topcoat for the harnesses, and semi-gloss for the seat itself. 

Hope this helps!

• 1 year later...

Hello! It's been a while,

I have made some progress after taking the kit out of storage. I primarily worked on the cockpit. 

FYTYpQt.jpg

DbLCC5x.jpg

The side panels were done mostly OOB, painted first with Akan's cockpit grey blue acrylic, then the main black dials painted before slowly sliding on the kit decals. It helped for me to pre-perforate some parts of the decals as the panels were 3D and helped the decals to settle down nicely. 

5YQRHMo.jpg

Ig6wQi3.jpg

The instrument panel and sidewall was completed using Quinta decals, and the blue areas painted over using Akan acrylics to match the colors. 

uKqIGj6.jpg

I came across a bit of a fitting issue when buttoning the tub + sidewalls together. The kit tolerances (OOB would have been fabulous) were slightly off because of the raised Quinta decals. My workaround was where appropriate, I sanded plastic off so that the tolerances were brought back to where it was. I did trim the Quinta decals from the sidewall to sidewall mating area so that it was plastic meeting plastic, otherwise I risk scraping the Quinta decals off because of the tight tolerances. With all that's said here, for me, dry fitting was key. 

kmbgUt9.jpg

Qg6jjt0.jpg

gkDD2xV.jpg

After finally gluing the tub/walls together, the final dryfit was good. 

I will make one more comment here, for the Akan paints, this particular one didn't agree with the Mr Color gloss lacquer so when I painted the tub, it puckered up and oh it was a disaster. I got around this by spraying on a clear layer of acrylic, waited, then sprayed with my choice of lacquer before using enamels for any washes. Many thanks peeps and I will keep you posted. 

Konbini