spraying clear over finished car

when applying clear coats my question is should i do it before mounting headlights transparent acrylic  parts such as light covers , windscreen  etc or can you go over everything ?

Edited by Dog1

i decided to go ahead after placing the decals but not the chrome parts headlights etc since i have the intention of polishing later with Tamiya coarse fine and finish .  I applied the first coat of mr super clear mr hobby and all was fine but after applying the second coat 1 hr later there are blotches of the clear coat on the surface and decals .How do i go about removing these blotches ? the paint color is semi black gloss .  the model is the 1/12 Ford GT 40 Trumpeter 1966 Le man winner. Last coat applied 1 hr ago from this posting , cheers  

Edited by Dog1

Did you spray Mr. Hobby Super Clear from a spray can or from an airbrush?  You can carefully remove those blotches with a Q-tip moistened with lacquer thinner.  Might need to spray a light coat of clear over those areas again.

i used a spray can and the first coat looked great , an hour later i applied the second . I will apply your method and hope for the best . I just realized i sprayed the car with Tamiya acrylic semi gloss black since the surface was large  and then i used Mr Color gloss spray, does it matter ? i  mean is gloss spray finish for any color acrylic or lacquer ?    

Edited by Dog1
5 minutes ago, Dog1 said:

i  mean is gloss spray finish for any color acrylic or lacquer ?    

Yes, as long as the semi gloss black has sufficient time to cure, say at least a couple of days.  Here is how I always spray gloss coats, albeit from an airbrush:  lay down a very light tacky first coat, wait five minutes, lay down a medium second coat, wait five minutes, lay down the wet final coat.  To me, an hour is too long of a wait before applying the second coat.

Here is an example of Mr. Color GX100 Super Clear airbrushed over Tamiya acrylic XF-1 flat black using the method outlined above:

MrGX100.jpg.61e80b426b261bc433c74e286250120a.jpg

It is extremely smooth and glossy, as evidenced by the sharp reflections from the three overhead lights.  If flat black can be made this smooth and shiny, then it should be easier to do the same to semi gloss black.

From spray can to airbrush

If  i want to finish the body work  for the remaining unpainted primed external parts with the airbrush using semi gloss black from Mr Color will that  show differences between the parts altready painted with the tamiya spray can once joined together to complete the build ?

what is a good cheap lacquer paint remover for cleaning plastic droppers and paint plastic trays for after work clean up ? 

Edited by Dog1