my paint is old and has stratified

Hi guys,

Im new here, i have a model of the TU-154M (Zvezda made it). The box has been on my shelf for about 10 years, untouched. I have finally decided to dedicate some time to it and finally build it... but when i opened it... the paint has stratified, apart from that everything else looks okay.

This is my first time building a model plane... or any model for that matter, could you send me some videos on model building 101s and let me know if there is any hope for my paint.

Thank you!

Hi and welcome to our site.

For the paint ideally you should sand it down and restart it. I recently experienced a similar the same issues when relocating some of my model were barely damaged. You can follow some of my building video but they are on fast mode but you should be able to learn a few tricks from other modellers. We will help you in any case.

One more question for your paint, will you use a paint brush or a air brush ? this will make a significant difference in the final result of your model.

Here is the link on the the restauration 😉

Thank you for the video!

My paint is still in its little bottle, i havent applied it yet. Seeing that my paint has stratified, a year ago i took a spray can and painted the body white, i can sand it down since i didnt do it right (picture below).

I plan on using a paint brush, two came with the kit, i dont have an air brush, just a can of white spray paint.

20210326_141626.jpg

If you want a suggestion, sand the paint down and build you kit, then apply the paint with the spray, you will avoid to show the separation between the half of the fuselage, but to fill the gap you will need some putty as well, do you have some ?

Cheers

OK, so what you can do is not putting the windows on you kit build the fuselage, paint it, then fill the window with micro Cristal clear. It look like a white glue, but it will become transparent when dry.

Sure, but the issue is that you may have some paint remain where you have to put glue, so this will melt and do more mess on you model.

To get the best result (for me ) is start the build fuselage, wings and engines, then when gap are filled, I paint the model, then do the finition gear, gear door, etc...