Building a Su-37 using Academy Su-27B: Question about Engines

Hello all,

This is less about researching an aircraft and more about researching kits. I hope that's ok.

I have managed to pick up a Wolfpack conversion kit that is supposed to build into an early version of T-10M-11 Su-35 (711 White) prior to being converted into the Su-37 Technology demonstrator. Since the conversion set for the Su-37 itself is unavailable anywhere, I am left to fend for myself with the engines. The conversion set I have seems to cover everything on the front end, as well as the vertical stabilizers, and nose gear. There are thrust vectoring options out there for Su-35 kits, so I am wondering if anyone can tell me if aftermarket nozzles for either the Great Wall or Kitty Hawk kits would fit an Academy kit.

I think I read someplace that the thrust vectoring nozzles on the Su-37 have a more limited range of motion compared to production Su-35 nozzles, but I suspect I can pose the aftermarket parts to look a lot closer than what comes out of the Academy box.

Has anyone got some insight on this?

Thanks a bunch!

Edited by Specter1075
Clarified what I am working with

Ah, I see what you mean. I wonder if an aftermarket set could be altered to get us closer to that?

Edit:
Looking at pictures, it seems like the nozzles attach inside an almost smooth round housing. That could be scratch-built, assuming I can mate the aftermarket nozzles inside and mate the housing to the main body. May need to look at dimensions to see how feasible this is...

Edited by Specter1075

I tried to reply yesterday but then the site crashed.

Are you sure about the Su-34 nozzles? By early Su-34, I assume you mean the AL-31FM1? From what I've read, production Su-34s use the FM2 which does not have TVC, and the aftermarket nozzles available for the Su-34 represent this variant, not the thrust vectoring version. While the Su-35S' AL-31F1S is a new engine, its the only TVC set I can get as aftermarket parts, and according to Yefim Gordon and Dmitriy Komissarov's book, is derived from the AL-31FP/FU used on the Su-37 demonstrator. If anyone made Su-30 nozzles, they would apparently work too.

For anyone researching this topic in the future, I put together these two pictures of the Su-35S and Su-37 nozzles to compare. They seem pretty close, but welcome anyone pointing out the differences they see. The big obvious thing is how the nozzles sit inside the stationary part of the engine on the -37, and that ring is different than other versions of the AL-31. I should have made note, but I also believe the Su-35S engine has a higher degree of travel compared to the one used on the Su-37.

Comparison.jpg

Edited by Specter1075
  • 3 weeks later...
On 3/28/2021 at 10:11 PM, Specter1075 said:

I tried to reply yesterday but then the site crashed.

Are you sure about the Su-34 nozzles? By early Su-34, I assume you mean the AL-31FM1? From what I've read, production Su-34s use the FM2 which does not have TVC, and the aftermarket nozzles available for the Su-34 represent this variant, not the thrust vectoring version. While the Su-35S' AL-31F1S is a new engine, its the only TVC set I can get as aftermarket parts, and according to Yefim Gordon and Dmitriy Komissarov's book, is derived from the AL-31FP/FU used on the Su-37 demonstrator. If anyone made Su-30 nozzles, they would apparently work too.

There is quite a bit of information claiming that Su-34 uses FM1 and even FM2 but they in fact use vanilla Al-31F still. Maybe that will change with Su-34M, who knows, especially now that Su-30SM is getting Izd.117S. I think it is probably correct that Al-31F nozzles are closer to Su-37's than Al-41F1S, but that would require more modification obviously.

On 3/29/2021 at 5:45 AM, Helmsman said:

IIRC, Su-37 nozzles could move in vertical plane only i.e., up and down while new Su-30sm/Su-35 nozzles move in all 3 planes.

Yes and no. Su-37 nozzles do move directly up and down but Su-30SM and Su-35S nozzles also move up and down only, but they affect 3D space. This is because they are slightly rotated and if you were to draw their movement it would be V shaped. As far as i know Al-41F1S, Al-31FP/FU all have the same degree of movement, about 15 degrees.

Edited by Berkut