Super newbie F-4 question

Well......yes......sort of. But that's a lot of work.

It would be much simpler to trade one of them for a C. More people would be after the non slatted E.

Oh, postage from Canada to New Zealand is far too expensive.

Edited by phantom
On 3/28/2021 at 12:22 AM, phantom said:

Well......yes......sort of. But that's a lot of work.

It would be much simpler to trade one of them for a C. More people would be after the non slatted E.

Oh, postage from Canada to New Zealand is far too expensive.

Thanks, I thought that might be the case.

It would probably be cheaper for me to fly to Canada than pay for any postage.

What scale are we talking about?  If it’s 1/48 scale, the F-4B is a raised panel line kit, while the F-4E is a recessed panel line kit.  I think there may also be some slight dimensional differences that make mixing wings and fuselages not completely straightforward.

Short answer - No.  Get a 1/48 F-4C/D kit instead of kit-bashing from 2 F-4 kits.

Long answer - Not without some degree of work.  If you overlay the Hasegawa F-4B and F-4E wings, you'll see that the dimensions of the parts are slightly different.  This is noticeable at the wingroots where the intakes, wings, and AIM-7 wells all come together.  If you do mind the mix of raised and recessed panel lines, you'd end up rescribing the F-4B wings to make them match. Rather than kit-bash them, it would be a shorter path to trade both the kits you have for a 1/48 F-4C/D kit.  Hasegawa F-4C/D and Monogram F-4C/D kits are commanding much lower prices on the second-hand market now that there are newer kits.   If you are someone who prefers recessed panel lines and don't mind buying aftermarket engines & cockpit parts, the old ESCI F-4C/D is also an alternative.

There are plenty of folks in this forum with experience building F-4C/D kits from the different manufacturers, I'm sure they can chime in on specific questions for each kit.  Don't hesitate to ask.  I'm sure other have many of the same questions you would have.

Good luck, be safe and keep building!

Edited by John B