PC Upgraded! - Flight Sim Question

I've been looking seriously at the Authentikit line.  Free diy files.  Know anyone with a 3D printer?  I wish I did!  Some of the local libraries have 3d printers, but most have a 2 hour limit.

First is a Spitfire column and throttle,  and I believe P-40 is next on the list.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCR7_bfqW6cxA6Z0sBTWxQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGQyJNLBbkY

https://authentikit.org/

I could eventually see having a collection of sticks/throttles per plane. 

• 1 month later...

I just bought a Thrustmaster T-Flight headset, US Air Force Edition. Very nice. They imitate the look of a set of David Clark headsets. The replaceable graphics are kind of cheesy other than that very nice. 

• 2 weeks later...

Spending some time on FS2020 and have to say, it's amazing.   Back in the day, I took many flights from Hyannis, MA to Nantucket when I was doing a job on the island (housing / hotels are too expensive, most workers fly back and forth each day on Cape Air).    I decided to replicate those flights.  The graphics are spot-on.   You even get a bit of turbulence as you cross over the beach on final approach to runway 06 at ACK.    Simply amazing, probably the most immersive thing I've ever seen on a PC. 

Good to hear!  It's pretty amazing what modern computers are capable of.  I haven't actually tried FS2020 yet, since I guess I prefer being destructive with combat aircraft.  🙂

I've been digging into the F-16C in DCs, trying to work my way into it.  And it is inspiring me to start building one of the 1/48 Academy F-16Cs in my stash...

1 hour ago, Ken Cartwright said:

Good to hear!  It's pretty amazing what modern computers are capable of.  I haven't actually tried FS2020 yet, since I guess I prefer being destructive with combat aircraft.  🙂

I've been digging into the F-16C in DCs, trying to work my way into it.  And it is inspiring me to start building one of the 1/48 Academy F-16Cs in my stash...

You’re a better man than me.   I’m completely unable to devote the time to master a modern jet.   That being said, I’ve got the F-86 and MiG-15 and find both of them to be quite simple to fly, even compared to some WW2 planes that require a high level of engine management.  

I am taking it in small steps and I think it helps to have a full HOTAS setup.  I have a Logitech G13, the Thrustmaster MFD buttons, and a Thrustmaster Warthog.  Since the MFD buttons match the "menus" on the sim displays, it makes it easier - I just press the button that lines up with the button on the screen.

So far I have simply figured out how to use what I need for each of the free-flight and training missions I fly, but I hope I can build on that as I go, taking my time. 

On 6/26/2021 at 11:38 PM, Ken Cartwright said:

I am taking it in small steps and I think it helps to have a full HOTAS setup.  I have a Logitech G13, the Thrustmaster MFD buttons, and a Thrustmaster Warthog.  Since the MFD buttons match the "menus" on the sim displays, it makes it easier - I just press the button that lines up with the button on the screen.

So far I have simply figured out how to use what I need for each of the free-flight and training missions I fly, but I hope I can build on that as I go, taking my time. 

To be honest, when you finish all those training missions, you know just basic stuff. But like with everything, practice makes perfect. It also helps if you join multiplayer and find yourself a nice MP community, virtual squadron or a wing, because those guys will teach you the trade better than anything else.

32 minutes ago, Sebastijan said:

To be honest, when you finish all those training missions, you know just basic stuff. But like with everything, practice makes perfect. It also helps if you join multiplayer and find yourself a nice MP community, virtual squadron or a wing, because those guys will teach you the trade better than anything else.

Thanks, I had joined an online squadron a few years ago for Falcon, who then transitioned to BMS, and went through some training with them.  I have been simming for a long time and have developed some of the basic skills, but now I need to learn the ins and outs of DCS F-16C. 

I'm thinking of jumping back into BMS and going back to that online group as well.  Programming my HOTAS was easier for DCS than BMS, so I am trying to get the controls down there to make the move to BMS easier before taking up the time of the folks at the virtual squadron.  I like the dynamic campaign in BMS better than the missions in DCS, even though it doesn't look quite as good.

On 6/28/2021 at 9:08 AM, Ken Cartwright said:

I like the dynamic campaign in BMS better than the missions in DCS, even though it doesn't look quite as good.

There are several great campaigns (both free and payware) for DCS and the team is now actively developing dynamic campaign generator, which should, if I remember correctly, be released sometime later this year in its basic form, so some really fun times ahead.

But flying in a virtual wing beats any single player (dynamic) campaign. I remember one mission, when us (Tomcats) were tasked with CAP on a night mission, with Hornets coming in behind us for a strike, while I could see in the distance AAA and SAM launches further up the coast, where I knew A-10s had their share of fun. So immersive and especially knowing that each aircraft was piloted by a colleague. We've got around 35 pilots up for each combat event plus a few guys doing the ATC and AWACS.

Agreed, flying multiplayer is a totally different experience.  It's difficult to quantify, but there is just something about flying with other actual people that feels different than AI.  I did a few BMS missions with a group in the past and it just feels like a different dimension has been added to the experience.

I have heard that DCS is working on a dynamic campaign, but I am not holding my breath 🙂

My understanding is that the BMS dynamic campaign can be played multiplayer, so I think you can have a great combination with that.

Was your multiplayer mission in DCS?  I wasn't sure if Tomcats were what you were flying or if that's your group name.  I assume it's DCS if you were flying Tomcats...

Edited by Ken Cartwright
On 6/29/2021 at 10:07 PM, Ken Cartwright said:

Agreed, flying multiplayer is a totally different experience.  It's difficult to quantify, but there is just something about flying with other actual people that feels different than AI.  I did a few BMS missions with a group in the past and it just feels like a different dimension has been added to the experience.

I have heard that DCS is working on a dynamic campaign, but I am not holding my breath 🙂

My understanding is that the BMS dynamic campaign can be played multiplayer, so I think you can have a great combination with that.

Was your multiplayer mission in DCS?  I wasn't sure if Tomcats were what you were flying or if that's your group name.  I assume it's DCS if you were flying Tomcats...

yeah, ED used to be pretty slow in bringing changes and updates, but recently they picked up a pace a bit. Looks like new management is doing the right work. And now you have free Mariana's map in this weeks Open Beta patch!

I am flying F-14B in 108th 'Specters' Tomcat squadron, part of a 132nd virtual Wing. http://132virtualwing.org/

• 2 months later...

Was up surfing YouTube last night and I stumbled upon a very cool video showing the "Expressway Visual RWY 31 Approach" into LaGuardia.   Essentially, you fly a radial towards LGA, upon coming to a couple of large white fuel tanks, you disengage the autopilot and hand fly the aircraft, following the Long Island Expressway.  As you fly past the old Shea Stadium, you bank hard left and align with RWY31.     Here's the video:

Landing at La Guardia Airport - Expressway Visual Approach Runway 31 - Airbus A320 - YouTube

I decided to "fly" this approach in MSFS, using the Citation CJ4.  Was amazed at how well the sim replicated all the landmarks, including the Home Depot that you over fly at a few hundred feet as you align with the runway.   This sim is truly amazing. 

On 3/29/2021 at 11:35 PM, fulcrum1 said:

After almost 10 years running a i5 2500k I finally built a new PC in the fall and figured I'd get a new RTX GPU in a couple months when supply caught up. Yup, got that one wrong. Might have been better off with a prebuilt. 

Never buy a prebuilt. Gamers Nexus on YouTube is reviewing prebuilts. I'll just say I was surprised at the short cuts taken, even by the big names in the business like Dell. I've built my own since the mid 90's. You know what's in the box that way. 

7 hours ago, Jon Krol said:

Never buy a prebuilt. Gamers Nexus on YouTube is reviewing prebuilts. I'll just say I was surprised at the short cuts taken, even by the big names in the business like Dell. I've built my own since the mid 90's. You know what's in the box that way. 

The issue is graphics card. It's been almost a year and I still haven't been able to pick one up. With some of the prebuilts today I could see taking one and using some of the parts and selling the rest. I haven't bought a prebuilt gaming PC in 15-17 years....but some of them don't look half bad. 

43 minutes ago, fulcrum1 said:

The issue is graphics card. It's been almost a year and I still haven't been able to pick one up. With some of the prebuilts today I could see taking one and using some of the parts and selling the rest. I haven't bought a prebuilt gaming PC in 15-17 years....but some of them don't look half bad. 

All I can say is that I’m extremely happy with my Alienware rig.  Great performance, great tech support.   Best of all, I designed the rig to meet my budget and had it on my doorstep 10 days later.   They have a very active users forum, if you have any questions or concerns, you’ll get straight answers there.  Good luck.  

• 3 weeks later...

For those who may be interested DCS:

Avro Vulcan on the way with AI Victor

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/261146-avro-vulcan-xh558-mod-by-t-pap/

DH Mosquito was released. it looks sweet.

Over on SAS1946 for il-2 1946 they added the Vulcan and the Victor Pretty nice for a 10+ year old game.

Victor

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,67011.0.html

Vulcan

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,66523.0.html

And just so people see this:

As for Battle of X(Stalingrad, etc) some interesting stuff:

Looks like they have made changes to the pilot physiology extending the time it takes to wear the pilot out and also changes to weapons.  2 steps in the right direction hopefully.

Edited by NoSG0
  • 2 months later...

I decided to purchase the Aerosoft CRJ700 since I've spent a fair amount of time in the back of those (while I despised the CRJ200, the later versions are halfway decent).  Also sprung for aftermarket KLGA and DCA airports.  Just a fantastic aircraft, that comes with close to 500 pages worth of manuals, most of which mirror the real thing.  Flying out of LGA, I've got an accurate NYC skyline to look at as I turn south.   Flying with realtime weather, passing through some very realistic looking clouds as I descend in the DC area, flying the Potomic River visual approach to RWY 19, great views of all the DC landmarks as you come in.  While taxing to the gate, I'm guided in by one of the ground crew, while others wait nearby to offload the luggage.  After shutdown, I used the drone cam feature to explore the interior of Reagan National.  It's complete with people, arrival / departure boards and TV's with CNN on (looks like Biden has a slight lead over Trump in the polls).     It was an incredible experience.   If I could figure out how to save screenshots, I'd put some up to show you how good this thing actually looks. 

I've been playing around with the MS Flight Sim series for ages, this new one isn't just an improvement on the last, it's a revolutionary step forward.   For those that are on the fence on this, I highly recommend giving it a try (just have the PC that can handle it).    I think Ms Bee might be getting me a pair of VR goggles for Xmas, can't wait to see how this thing looks with those on.   

1 hour ago, 11bee said:

I decided to purchase the Aerosoft CRJ700 since I've spent a fair amount of time in the back of those (while I despised the CRJ200, the later versions are halfway decent).  Also sprung for aftermarket KLGA and DCA airports.  Just a fantastic aircraft, that comes with close to 500 pages worth of manuals, most of which mirror the real thing.  Flying out of LGA, I've got an accurate NYC skyline to look at as I turn south.   Flying with realtime weather, passing through some very realistic looking clouds as I descend in the DC area, flying the Potomic River visual approach to RWY 19, great views of all the DC landmarks as you come in.  While taxing to the gate, I'm guided in by one of the ground crew, while others wait nearby to offload the luggage.  After shutdown, I used the drone cam feature to explore the interior of Reagan National.  It's complete with people, arrival / departure boards and TV's with CNN on (looks like Biden has a slight lead over Trump in the polls).     It was an incredible experience.   If I could figure out how to save screenshots, I'd put some up to show you how good this thing actually looks. 

I've been playing around with the MS Flight Sim series for ages, this new one isn't just an improvement on the last, it's a revolutionary step forward.   For those that are on the fence on this, I highly recommend giving it a try (just have the PC that can handle it).    I think Ms Bee might be getting me a pair of VR goggles for Xmas, can't wait to see how this thing looks with those on.   

Take a look in to the FBW A32NX. It’s a freeware project. It started as tweaking the default A320 in MSFS, but turned in to a standalone aircraft. It is quite frankly well ahead of the CRJ. The flight dynamics are a bit off in the CRJ and it’s autoflight systems still run in to bugs. 

And if you’re in to the DC area, there are two separate add ons you can purchase, both made by Drziewicki Designs. One is for DCA airport itself. The other are all the landmark of the DC area. The landmarks are actually a decent upgrade over what’s in the sim already and adds even more the the runway 19 river visual. 

36 minutes ago, ESzczesniak said:

Take a look in to the FBW A32NX. It’s a freeware project. It started as tweaking the default A320 in MSFS, but turned in to a standalone aircraft. It is quite frankly well ahead of the CRJ. The flight dynamics are a bit off in the CRJ and it’s autoflight systems still run in to bugs. 

And if you’re in to the DC area, there are two separate add ons you can purchase, both made by Drziewicki Designs. One is for DCA airport itself. The other are all the landmark of the DC area. The landmarks are actually a decent upgrade over what’s in the sim already and adds even more the the runway 19 river visual. 

Thanks for the info.   I've got the DD KDCA, I'll have to check out their DC Landmarks.   They do some amazing work, now if they would just do BOS and PVD, my Northeast CRJ flying network would be completed (have aftermarket LGA, Bangor and the base sim comes with an upgraded JFK).    I've heard a great deal about the FBW Airbus, it's supposed to be amazing.  I'll probably go for it since the price is right but I'm still mastering the CRJ.   

With regard to issues with the Aerosoft CRJ, not sure about the flight dynamics, it seems to handle ok (I'm no expert) but the autoflight system seems to be spot on.   The FMS appears to be current with it's database of nav aids, STARS/SIDS, etc.   It typically gets me from point a to point be with no issues.   It's a bit challenging to master because the CRJ (unlike every other commercial jet out there) doesn't come with an autothrottle.   Speed management is a challenge (and to be honest, it's quite fun at this stage).   The only other aircraft I'm waiting for is the Cessna 402 so I can replicate the Cape Air network that I've flown so often.   

16 minutes ago, 11bee said:

Thanks for the info.   I've got the DD KDCA, I'll have to check out their DC Landmarks.   They do some amazing work, now if they would just do BOS and PVD, my Northeast CRJ flying network would be completed (have aftermarket LGA, Bangor and the base sim comes with an upgraded JFK).    I've heard a great deal about the FBW Airbus, it's supposed to be amazing.  I'll probably go for it since the price is right but I'm still mastering the CRJ.   

With regard to issues with the Aerosoft CRJ, not sure about the flight dynamics, it seems to handle ok (I'm no expert) but the autoflight system seems to be spot on.   The FMS appears to be current with it's database of nav aids, STARS/SIDS, etc.   It typically gets me from point a to point be with no issues.   It's a bit challenging to master because the CRJ (unlike every other commercial jet out there) doesn't come with an autothrottle.   Speed management is a challenge (and to be honest, it's quite fun at this stage).   The only other aircraft I'm waiting for is the Cessna 402 so I can replicate the Cape Air network that I've flown so often.   

The two most glaring issues are: 1) (flight dynamics) handling at Vr. It is very sluggish in rotation, but then jumps off the runway. It makes speed management very challenging in the second segment climb since you gain a lot of speed during rotation. And 2) (AFS) it’s known to start a nose dive while in APP mode around 1,000’ without any warning or reason… or consistency. 

There are some other minor tags with the AFS, but more minor. The poor rotation handling really bothers me, because like AMS in scale modeling, I tend to be a bit OCD in flight simming and want to fly well by the numbers and book. It’s why I can spend hours just trying to fly the perfect case I carrier landing in DCS. 

Edited by ESzczesniak
  • 1 month later...
On 12/29/2021 at 2:47 AM, Ken Cartwright said:

Just for kicks, thought I'd post this video I ran across, that compares the same airport in MSFS 2020 to DCS 2.7.  As some of the comments point out, the clouds in DCS could be better, and I'm not sure why those were what showed up.

That's a really useful video.  FS2020 definitely has DCS beat for overall terrain detail and clouds but honestly, for a combat sim, I'll take fully modeled weapons and avionics over terrain detail any day.   I'd say both sims aircraft are equal in level of detail.   DCS has much better runway textures but there are mods out there that improve this in MS2020.    What's with the 25-knot difference in approach speeds between the DCS and MSFS Hornets?  Somebody got it wrong, LOL. 

Just got a Quest 2 VR headset for X-mas.  Looking forward to trying it out in both sims.   My biggest gripe with DCS was that it was nearly impossible to keep eyes on a bad guy in a dogfight using the joystick hat to move my viewpoint between cockpit and adversary.    Hoping this will be a gamechanger for DCS. 

56 minutes ago, 11bee said:

… What's with the 25-knot difference in approach speeds between the DCS and MSFS Hornets?  Somebody got it wrong, LOL. 

…Hoping this will be a gamechanger for DCS. 

To be somewhat pedantic, MSFS models an F/A-18E and DCS models an F/A-18C. There are some visual mods to make the legacy a super Hornet, but visual only. 

With that said, the whole MS flight sim franchise has historically been very basic flight models. MSFS is holding up better for GA aircraft, but military is typically very poor. 

The on top of that, MSFS makes it really easy to not think about loads. It defaults to 100% fuel. If my memory and numbers are serving me well, a rhino on full fuel load and no stores is about 5,000 lbs over max field landing weight, and 10,000 lbs over max trap. 

And VR is a game changer. The lower resolution makes some technical stuff working on the DDI’s harder, but things like BFM, AAR, and case I carrier patterns are much easier and more immersive!

Edited by ESzczesniak