Jump to content

PC Upgraded! - Flight Sim Question


Recommended Posts

I've been looking seriously at the Authentikit line.  Free diy files.  Know anyone with a 3D printer?  I wish I did!  Some of the local libraries have 3d printers, but most have a 2 hour limit.

 

First is a Spitfire column and throttle,  and I believe P-40 is next on the list.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCR7_bfqW6cxA6Z0sBTWxQ

 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uGQyJNLBbkY

 

https://authentikit.org/

 

I could eventually see having a collection of sticks/throttles per plane. 

 

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I just bought a Thrustmaster T-Flight headset, US Air Force Edition. Very nice. They imitate the look of a set of David Clark headsets. The replaceable graphics are kind of cheesy other than that very nice. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Spending some time on FS2020 and have to say, it's amazing.   Back in the day, I took many flights from Hyannis, MA to Nantucket when I was doing a job on the island (housing / hotels are too expensive, most workers fly back and forth each day on Cape Air).    I decided to replicate those flights.  The graphics are spot-on.   You even get a bit of turbulence as you cross over the beach on final approach to runway 06 at ACK.    Simply amazing, probably the most immersive thing I've ever seen on a PC. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good to hear!  It's pretty amazing what modern computers are capable of.  I haven't actually tried FS2020 yet, since I guess I prefer being destructive with combat aircraft.  🙂

 

I've been digging into the F-16C in DCs, trying to work my way into it.  And it is inspiring me to start building one of the 1/48 Academy F-16Cs in my stash...

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ken Cartwright said:

Good to hear!  It's pretty amazing what modern computers are capable of.  I haven't actually tried FS2020 yet, since I guess I prefer being destructive with combat aircraft.  🙂

 

I've been digging into the F-16C in DCs, trying to work my way into it.  And it is inspiring me to start building one of the 1/48 Academy F-16Cs in my stash...

 

 

You’re a better man than me.   I’m completely unable to devote the time to master a modern jet.   That being said, I’ve got the F-86 and MiG-15 and find both of them to be quite simple to fly, even compared to some WW2 planes that require a high level of engine management.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I am taking it in small steps and I think it helps to have a full HOTAS setup.  I have a Logitech G13, the Thrustmaster MFD buttons, and a Thrustmaster Warthog.  Since the MFD buttons match the "menus" on the sim displays, it makes it easier - I just press the button that lines up with the button on the screen.

 

So far I have simply figured out how to use what I need for each of the free-flight and training missions I fly, but I hope I can build on that as I go, taking my time. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/26/2021 at 11:38 PM, Ken Cartwright said:

I am taking it in small steps and I think it helps to have a full HOTAS setup.  I have a Logitech G13, the Thrustmaster MFD buttons, and a Thrustmaster Warthog.  Since the MFD buttons match the "menus" on the sim displays, it makes it easier - I just press the button that lines up with the button on the screen.

 

So far I have simply figured out how to use what I need for each of the free-flight and training missions I fly, but I hope I can build on that as I go, taking my time. 

 

To be honest, when you finish all those training missions, you know just basic stuff. But like with everything, practice makes perfect. It also helps if you join multiplayer and find yourself a nice MP community, virtual squadron or a wing, because those guys will teach you the trade better than anything else.

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Sebastijan said:

 

To be honest, when you finish all those training missions, you know just basic stuff. But like with everything, practice makes perfect. It also helps if you join multiplayer and find yourself a nice MP community, virtual squadron or a wing, because those guys will teach you the trade better than anything else.

Thanks, I had joined an online squadron a few years ago for Falcon, who then transitioned to BMS, and went through some training with them.  I have been simming for a long time and have developed some of the basic skills, but now I need to learn the ins and outs of DCS F-16C. 

 

I'm thinking of jumping back into BMS and going back to that online group as well.  Programming my HOTAS was easier for DCS than BMS, so I am trying to get the controls down there to make the move to BMS easier before taking up the time of the folks at the virtual squadron.  I like the dynamic campaign in BMS better than the missions in DCS, even though it doesn't look quite as good.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/28/2021 at 9:08 AM, Ken Cartwright said:

 I like the dynamic campaign in BMS better than the missions in DCS, even though it doesn't look quite as good.

There are several great campaigns (both free and payware) for DCS and the team is now actively developing dynamic campaign generator, which should, if I remember correctly, be released sometime later this year in its basic form, so some really fun times ahead.

But flying in a virtual wing beats any single player (dynamic) campaign. I remember one mission, when us (Tomcats) were tasked with CAP on a night mission, with Hornets coming in behind us for a strike, while I could see in the distance AAA and SAM launches further up the coast, where I knew A-10s had their share of fun. So immersive and especially knowing that each aircraft was piloted by a colleague. We've got around 35 pilots up for each combat event plus a few guys doing the ATC and AWACS.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed, flying multiplayer is a totally different experience.  It's difficult to quantify, but there is just something about flying with other actual people that feels different than AI.  I did a few BMS missions with a group in the past and it just feels like a different dimension has been added to the experience.

 

I have heard that DCS is working on a dynamic campaign, but I am not holding my breath 🙂

 

My understanding is that the BMS dynamic campaign can be played multiplayer, so I think you can have a great combination with that.

 

Was your multiplayer mission in DCS?  I wasn't sure if Tomcats were what you were flying or if that's your group name.  I assume it's DCS if you were flying Tomcats...

Edited by Ken Cartwright
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/29/2021 at 10:07 PM, Ken Cartwright said:

Agreed, flying multiplayer is a totally different experience.  It's difficult to quantify, but there is just something about flying with other actual people that feels different than AI.  I did a few BMS missions with a group in the past and it just feels like a different dimension has been added to the experience.

 

I have heard that DCS is working on a dynamic campaign, but I am not holding my breath 🙂

 

My understanding is that the BMS dynamic campaign can be played multiplayer, so I think you can have a great combination with that.

 

Was your multiplayer mission in DCS?  I wasn't sure if Tomcats were what you were flying or if that's your group name.  I assume it's DCS if you were flying Tomcats...

 

yeah, ED used to be pretty slow in bringing changes and updates, but recently they picked up a pace a bit. Looks like new management is doing the right work. And now you have free Mariana's map in this weeks Open Beta patch!

 

I am flying F-14B in 108th 'Specters' Tomcat squadron, part of a 132nd virtual Wing. http://132virtualwing.org/

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 months later...

Was up surfing YouTube last night and I stumbled upon a very cool video showing the "Expressway Visual RWY 31 Approach" into LaGuardia.   Essentially, you fly a radial towards LGA, upon coming to a couple of large white fuel tanks, you disengage the autopilot and hand fly the aircraft, following the Long Island Expressway.  As you fly past the old Shea Stadium, you bank hard left and align with RWY31.     Here's the video:

Landing at La Guardia Airport - Expressway Visual Approach Runway 31 - Airbus A320 - YouTube

 

I decided to "fly" this approach in MSFS, using the Citation CJ4.  Was amazed at how well the sim replicated all the landmarks, including the Home Depot that you over fly at a few hundred feet as you align with the runway.   This sim is truly amazing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/29/2021 at 11:35 PM, fulcrum1 said:

After almost 10 years running a i5 2500k I finally built a new PC in the fall and figured I'd get a new RTX GPU in a couple months when supply caught up. Yup, got that one wrong. Might have been better off with a prebuilt. 

Never buy a prebuilt. Gamers Nexus on YouTube is reviewing prebuilts. I'll just say I was surprised at the short cuts taken, even by the big names in the business like Dell. I've built my own since the mid 90's. You know what's in the box that way. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

 

7 hours ago, Jon Krol said:

Never buy a prebuilt. Gamers Nexus on YouTube is reviewing prebuilts. I'll just say I was surprised at the short cuts taken, even by the big names in the business like Dell. I've built my own since the mid 90's. You know what's in the box that way. 

The issue is graphics card. It's been almost a year and I still haven't been able to pick one up. With some of the prebuilts today I could see taking one and using some of the parts and selling the rest. I haven't bought a prebuilt gaming PC in 15-17 years....but some of them don't look half bad. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, fulcrum1 said:

 

The issue is graphics card. It's been almost a year and I still haven't been able to pick one up. With some of the prebuilts today I could see taking one and using some of the parts and selling the rest. I haven't bought a prebuilt gaming PC in 15-17 years....but some of them don't look half bad. 

All I can say is that I’m extremely happy with my Alienware rig.  Great performance, great tech support.   Best of all, I designed the rig to meet my budget and had it on my doorstep 10 days later.   They have a very active users forum, if you have any questions or concerns, you’ll get straight answers there.  Good luck.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

For those who may be interested DCS:

 

Avro Vulcan on the way with AI Victor

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/261146-avro-vulcan-xh558-mod-by-t-pap/

 

DH Mosquito was released. it looks sweet.

 

Over on SAS1946 for il-2 1946 they added the Vulcan and the Victor Pretty nice for a 10+ year old game.

 

Victor

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,67011.0.html

 

Vulcan

https://www.sas1946.com/main/index.php/topic,66523.0.html

 

And just so people see this:

As for Battle of X(Stalingrad, etc) some interesting stuff:

Looks like they have made changes to the pilot physiology extending the time it takes to wear the pilot out and also changes to weapons.  2 steps in the right direction hopefully.

Edited by NoSG0
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...