I've read about it elsewhere too but I'm still uncertain about the scale. Has it been mentioned anywhere? 

We already have (well my son has) Saturn 5 rocket which is in 1/100 scale so a matching pair would be cool.

I have read it is approx 1:70 scale.  My 1:72 shuttle is ~19"-20" long

Lego website:

The shuttle model measures over 8.5 in. (21 cm) high, 21 in. (54 cm) long and 13.5 in. (34 cm) wide

3 hours ago, habu2 said:

I have read it is approx 1:70 scale.  My 1:72 shuttle is ~19"-20" long

Lego website:

Thanks!

Sounds about right since after my post I begun to think about my unassembled Tamiya shuttle and how it might be just a tad too small to be accurately represented in Lego.  

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 4/1/2021 at 1:22 AM, janman said:

I've read about it elsewhere too but I'm still uncertain about the scale. Has it been mentioned anywhere? 

We already have (well my son has) Saturn 5 rocket which is in 1/100 scale so a matching pair would be cool.

The Saturn V is closer to about 1:110. If you're looking for a Lego Shuttle of roughly comparable scale, set number 10213 or the modified re-release 10231 are close, though slightly undersized. There are also various fan-designed ("MOC") instructions out there that more closely match the Saturn V scale and have some better detail, especially on the SRBs, (though one has a large single-piece nose and cockpit part that IMO looks very wrong with its oversized flight deck windows, one center-aligned) if you're interested in sourcing the pieces yourself. The detail on the smaller models is, of course, less than on the ~1:70 new 10283 pictured in this thread, but you do get an ET and SRBs if you're looking for the whole Shuttle stack There are instructions out there for a set of them for 10283, but they are enormous and would be very expensive to source parts for.

On 4/16/2021 at 10:02 PM, southwestforests said:

How well they can render things within the constraints of their parts geometries is remarkable.

That's one of the things about Lego that appeals to the perfectionist in me. When building a normal model, there's always (scale-permitting) something else that you can add to make it more realistic, some detail that you have omitted. With the Lego system, you can get arbitrarily close within the 'resolution' of the pieces that exist. Selecting the exact right parts and how they connect is the challenge, with ensuing tradeoffs in structural integrity and accuracy between different small areas of the model covered by the same piece.

• 9 months later...

So far I've built the Lego Saturn V, Lunar Module, Space Shuttle and the ISS.  The Sat V & LM are in a Detolf glass cabinet, the shuttle & ISS are too big to fit inside a Detolf.