Hello!

This is my recent project, an Airfix Avro Lancaster, 1/72. I usually build 1/48 aircraft, but this one would have a 60cm wingspan, too big for my space. 

Having built a few nice Airfix new tools, I have to say I was a little disappointed with this one. The fuselage halves and bomb bay doors were all warped. Not beyond repair, but it took quite some time to have them fit properly, even though not perfectly. I think that if I had tried to leave the bomb bay open, it would be a challenge.

And almost all the clear parts came with some minor scratches. The canopy have you to glue 3 parts to build it, which was quite fidlly, since they are far from being precisely molded. 

Finally, the plastic is kind of rugged in general, which doesn’t add for the painting finishing, decaling and washing, IMHO.

The decals were just fine, no issues at all.

Eduard clear parts masking is really recommended!

Hope you enjoy

Cheers!

IMG_9815.jpg

IMG_9817.jpg

IMG_9818.jpg

IMG_9819.jpg

IMG_9820.jpg

IMG_9821.jpg

IMG_9822.jpg

IMG_9823.jpg

IMG_9824.jpg

IMG_9825.jpg

IMG_9826.jpg

IMG_9827.jpg

IMG_9828.jpg

IMG_9829.jpg

IMG_9830.jpg

Looks beautiful! I like the paintjob, all those streaks make it look like it's really wreaked havoc above Geman cities.

I was actually considering getting one just a while ago so it's interesting to hear about your experiences. I just finished Max Hastings' impressive "Chastice" book about the German dam raids and found myself reading a lot about Lancasters and Lancaster model kits from the internet.

I've understood that this kit is now the best of the bunch and really makes old Hasegawa etc. more or less obsolete. In this sense I was somewhat surprised you had some troubles with it. Then again, in recent years I've had three Airfix kits on the bench (new 1/72 Hawk and Vampire kits and a much older 1/72 Piper Cherokee) and my experiences with them have been extremely varied. The Vampire was very nice and I thoroughly enjoyed building it. Even the old Piper was surprisingly good kit despite of its age and raised panel lines, but the Hawk has been a pain in the butt and is still on the bench.

4 hours ago, janman said:

Looks beautiful! I like the paintjob, all those streaks make it look like it's really wreaked havoc above Geman cities.

I was actually considering getting one just a while ago so it's interesting to hear about your experiences. I just finished Max Hastings' impressive "Chastice" book about the German dam raids and found myself reading a lot about Lancasters and Lancaster model kits from the internet.

I've understood that this kit is now the best of the bunch and really makes old Hasegawa etc. more or less obsolete. In this sense I was somewhat surprised you had some troubles with it. Then again, in recent years I've had three Airfix kits on the bench (new 1/72 Hawk and Vampire kits and a much older 1/72 Piper Cherokee) and my experiences with them have been extremely varied. The Vampire was very nice and I thoroughly enjoyed building it. Even the old Piper was surprisingly good kit despite of its age and raised panel lines, but the Hawk has been a pain in the butt and is still on the bench.

Thank you! I think it really is the best in all scales, despite these issues.