Build Log: 1/32 UH-34D Conversion

I am about to start on something I have wanted to do for a long time; a large scale (1/32) UH-34D conversion.   

The finished product will be a USMC UH-34D from Vietnam which is currently at the National Museum of the Marine Corps in Quantico, VA; YN-19.  This helicopter has very long and storied history, which can be found here: https://www.freedomsflyingmemorial.org/AircraftHistory.htm
26727755119_1eecc0916a_z.jpg

I will be starting with the Fly Models Westland Wessex HC.2 kit, which is of a later British version with turbine engines.  The kit is interesting that it is a true multi-media affair with injected plastic, resin, PE, and paper parts.

936419-20006-53-pristine.jpg

I will be using a new product that will be available soon to backdate it to a USMC UH-34D with piston engine.  It is a 3D printed H-34 nose conversion designed by our very own Oliver "Rotorman" and printed by Norbert from Reedoak Rubber Composites ( http://reedoak.com/ ) out of France, who do excellent 3D printed figures and accessories in multiple scales.  It is beautifully printed and extremely detailed.  A great piece.

040270a737416da7fa6e7b5fac272e2a7b474e6c

More to come as I get started.

Edited by HeavyArty

That’s a great choice for a project.   Lot of history behind the UH-34, I’ll be following closely.    

That conversion nose looks great (as I would expect).  Any idea if Oliver is providing PE screens?  Also, what’s your plan for decals?   

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Any idea if Oliver is providing PE screens?  

I don't think Oliver plans to provide anything.  I believe the nose piece will be available to purchase from Reedoak as is.  You have to provide the screens.  I have a sheet of Royal Model PE screen I will be cutting to shape.

2 hours ago, 11bee said:

Also, what’s your plan for decals?   

Heli-Scale Quality out of of Germany does a set for YN-19.  All the stencils and smaller decals are in the Fly Models kit.  Heli-Scale also does the different landing gear struts as 3D prints as well.

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty

I am not planning to add screens for the nose at this time.  I may do an open cowlings version or a version with screens already printed on the nose.

Stay tuned.

Oliver

Edited by Rotorman
3 hours ago, Rotorman said:

I am not planning to add screens for the nose at this time.  I may do an open cowlings version or a version with screens already printed on the nose.

Stay tuned.

Oliver

Looking forward to whatever you come up with, fwiw, my humble suggestion would be for the screens incorporated into the nose.

Good luck! 

12 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

Heli-Scale Quality out of of Germany does a set for YN-19

Are those markings greyed for viewing purposes but white on the sheet? Marines used on white then black markings in country.

I have made a bit of progress.  It doesn't look like much, but it was time consuming.  The Fly Models kit is very detailed.  You start by adding all internal stringers and longerons in the rear cabin.   The vertical stringers weren't too bad as each was a separate part that you glue onto thin lines on the inner wall.  The longerons and parts around the windows are each individually cut to fit between the stringers.  

Here is one side done, one to go.

5ad176e4d9262cffd37e81dae10193daf871b9ff

5dc150c40622da9e2af2867d16e20e98599d4603

They took some time, but it does look great when done.

Edited by HeavyArty

Progress is moving along slowly. I have completed all the stringers and longerons on both sides of the cabin. After finishing them, you glue a bunch of triangular and diamond shaped PE bolt plates where they come together.

c1460eb49719129ab17a709c1ec6d8abebf93727

bc9212df990bbc639f15c2a7da46e38640d2ada7b48fa44b00e3b508f036dfca1c8dcbc96bf4ba4c

There was a minor issue with these PE plates. The instructions indicate a total of 33 of the diamond shaped plates. However, there are only 24 on the PE sheet. To rectify this, I left them off behind where the seats will be. You won’t see that area to tell they are missing.

Edited by HeavyArty

Can you order the nose conversion from Reedoak.com?  I am making my Dad's H-34 from when he was the commander of the 31st Transportation (Helicopter) company in 1956.  I built him one of the 1/48 scale from Revell Germany in 1988.  I would love to make the 1/32 scale Fly model that I bought about a year ago.  Please let me know.  Thanks

1 hour ago, SlickRick said:

Can you order the nose conversion from Reedoak.com?  I am making my Dad's H-34 from when he was the commander of the 31st Transportation (Helicopter) company in 1956.  I built him one of the 1/48 scale from Revell Germany in 1988.  I would love to make the 1/32 scale Fly model that I bought about a year ago.  Please let me know.  Thanks

Hi Rick,  Its great to hear that someone else is making the H.34. I cant wait to see what you do with yours and I am sure you will make your dad proud.. I own the rights to the nose since I produced it for my H.34. I just gave Gino a copy so he could build his ahead of us and share his building tips,  i cant wait to see what he does with his. There are minor details  i want to improve with the nose and Reedoak will be helping with the printing. Please be patient I am working on it. Thanks.

Oliver

Edited by Rotorman
On 4/11/2021 at 6:04 PM, HeavyArty said:

Progress is moving along slowly. I have completed all the stringers and longerons on both sides of the cabin. After finishing them, you glue a bunch of triangular and diamond shaped PE bolt plates where they come together.

c1460eb49719129ab17a709c1ec6d8abebf93727

bc9212df990bbc639f15c2a7da46e38640d2ada7b48fa44b00e3b508f036dfca1c8dcbc96bf4ba4c

There was a minor issue with these PE plates. The instructions indicate a total of 33 of the diamond shaped plates. However, there are only 24 on the PE sheet. To rectify this, I left them off behind where the seats will be. You won’t see that area to tell they are missing.

Great progress. 

Thanks Oliver!  Your scratch building on the sonar H-34 is truly a work of art!  I am pretty sure my Dad's H-34 was a very early variant, like an A or B.  It didn't have the triple exhaust in the upper area of the clam shell rather, the single exhaust pipe at the bottom of the left clam shell.  Pretty cool that you came up with such a great "backdate" to take the British westland wessex and make it a great us army early h-34.  Any tips, ideas, advice or whatever, please let me know right away.  Thank you all for help.

SlickRick