Build Log: 1/32 UH-34D Conversion

I think it will be back to a few tracked/wheeled vehicles.  An M6 Linebacker, maybe an M915A3 truck, and a SEAL FAV.  The next helo will most likely be the Academy AH-1Z with a bunch of extras; Legend blade folds, props, and ammo/avionics bay, PE, metal barrel, resin FLIR ball, etc., etc....

2 hours ago, HeavyArty said:

I think it will be back to a few tracked/wheeled vehicles.  An M6 Linebacker, maybe an M915A3 truck, and a SEAL FAV.  The next helo will most likely be the Academy AH-1Z with a bunch of extras; Legend blade folds, props, and ammo/avionics bay, PE, metal barrel, resin FLIR ball, etc., etc....

Is the Linebacker a new artillery piece?

I've never heard of that before.

Tim

The M6 Linebacker was an ADA version of the Bradley.  There was a four pack Stinger launcher in place of the TOW and the internal stowage and gear layout was different.  They were fielded after Desert Storm and used up through the invasion of Iraq in '03.  They were all converted back to standard M2A2/3 Bradleys by the mid 2000s and are now out of service.  The Army is considering bringing back an updated version now that we are preparing for fighting near-pear competitors with an Airforce and attack helos in the future.  I plan on building it with a full interior.

M6 Linebacker.jpg

Edited by HeavyArty
  • 2 weeks later...

I have basically finished construction on the fuselage and the main parts of the helo.

I added piping and some other details found on H-34s (white styrene). I also added the teardrop-shaped antennas on both sides with small marker lights left over from another helo. The exhaust deflector below the port side front canopy is styrene as well.
IMG_1816
IMG_1817

The struts and tail wheel gear are 3D printed parts from Heli-Scale Quality out of Germany. I will also be using their decals later on as well.
IMG_1819

I added “C” channel (upper) and 45 degree angle (lower) styrene for the side door guides. The kit came with PE for this, but it was really small and almost impossible to fold and keep from kinking. I added the frames on the screens using thin wine bottle foil. I simply cut thin strips and glued them into place.
IMG_1814

I also plumbed the brake lines and rescue hoist. I cut half circle steps in each side and two new fuel filler points on the starboard side.
IMG_1818

I also had to modify the sliding door. On US H-34s, the window was centered on the side door. On the British Wessex, the window was further aft. I cut a piece out forward of the window opening, then inverted it and placed it in the aft section of the opening and filled/filed it smooth. Door window successfully moved forward/centered.
IMG_1820

Painting is up next. I also have to build the main and tail rotors, which are kits in themselves with lots of resin, PE, and plastic parts.

Edited by HeavyArty
13 hours ago, Rotorman said:

Heli scale has 3 d printed stuff ? 

Yup, lots of landing gear/skids and a few other accessory pieces.

https://www.heli-scale-quality.com/3d-printed-parts/landing-gear.html

13 hours ago, Rotorman said:

No seats belts on the pilots seats?

I am still planning on adding a crew, which will be properly belted in, so not yet.  The large side doors/windows allow them to be added after painting.  If I end up going w/out a crew, the seatbelts will be added.

Edited by HeavyArty

I was able to get the initial base coat of Medium Green on it. The USMC did not use Olive Drab as the Army did at the time. The 3D printed parts (landing gear and nose) look to have really blended together seamlessly with the plastic kit parts. I am very happy with how it is turning out.

IMG_1826
IMG_1822
IMG_1823
IMG_1825
IMG_1824

Next up is detail painting and the decals. They will be in a couple weeks though as I will be out of town for the rest of this week and next.

• 1 month later...

Work has continued...slowly. 

I have applied the decals and sealed them down. I used a set of decals from Heli-Scale Quality out of Germany for the USMC and YN19-specific markings. The Heli-Scale Quality decals snugged down really well and came out looking nicely. No issues with them at all. The rest of the stencils and aircraft placards are from the Fly Models kit. I also got her up on her wheels, no issues there either.

Here she is so far.
IMG_1827
IMG_1828
IMG_1833
IMG_1829
IMG_1830

Next up is some weathering and deciding on a crew or not. I still need to make the exhausts and build the rotors as well.

Edited by HeavyArty
2 hours ago, midnightprowler said:

Beautiful.  Can you put a ruler next to it for a sense of size? 

Sure.  It measures right about 4 1/2 inches to the top of the fuselage.

IMG_1834.JPG

Edited by HeavyArty

Fuselage is 17 1/2" from the nose to tip of tail.  Rotor span is 22".  It is about the same length as a 1/35 Black Hawk, but almost twice as tall.  Like I said, it's big.

Edited by HeavyArty
  • 4 weeks later...

This is looking fantastic! 
Very inspirational!!

Not sure if you know of or have considered Reedoak figures but the detail would certainly match the level of this build. Just not sure if he has anything that would match the timeframe. 

Looking fwd to future updates! 

Steve