tell me about 3d printers

I am thinking of getting a 3D printer mostly for model project and the occasional warhammer figure.

I did a google search and found mostly articles written by people trying to sell 3d printers.

so I am hoping some of you can share experiences and maybe some warnings.

cheers

Kind of a big topic... what do you want to know?

A few TL;DR points...

You won't get much modelling use out of a printer unless you can design your own parts.  For miniatures, there are lots of files online (the 3d printing world is lousy with warhammer people...)

For detail parts and figures, you'll want a resin printer, not an FDM one.

Most resin printers use identical basic components, so brand isn't super important; size and resolution are.

Resin printing and cleanup are kinda smelly - probably on par with airbrushing overall, but the printer runs for hours on end, so the smell can be more of an issue.  You will want either ventilation, or isolation.

Resin is somewhat temperature sensitive, so you'll want it somewhere around 20`C.

I can pretty much just echo what MoFo said and maybe add one small point. You didn't say your budget so in general Mofo is right about just getting resin for model builders. BUT if cost isn't as big a deal I'd suggest MAYBE getting both an FDM and a resin. I say maybe because it totally depends on what you want to model and do with them. For me personally, I will use some FDM prints for items that surface finish isn't as important as strength, like inner supports, larger flat structure areas that can be easily sanded or parts that are going to be under some sort of covering. Case in point, I printed the decent stage of a 1/32 lunar module because it's completely covered in foil and it was cheaper and easier to print such a large part in PLA. Other than that, yes to everything MoFo said. keep in mind, the 2 technologies will require different sets of solutions to problems and different approaches to printing. But in my mind it's worth it. 

Bill

1 hour ago, dylan said:

I am thinking of getting a 3D printer mostly for model project and the occasional warhammer figure.

I did a google search and found mostly articles written by people trying to sell 3d printers.

so I am hoping some of you can share experiences and maybe some warnings.

cheers

I currently have 13 printers, all Elegoo but one. The Elegoo Saturn (1), Elegoo Mars (4), Elegoo Mars Pro (1), Elegoo Mars 2Pro (2), Elegoo Mars 2 (4) and a Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K. 

Depending on what you want to do, how often and how big your parts are going to be will determine which printer is best. From what I have, the best bang for the buck is the Elegoo Mars 2. It and the 2Pro are essentially the same printer. However, the 2Pro has a built in filter (which really doesn't help) and 10mm more on the Z axis. The print quality is exactly the same and for most parts, that 10 extra mm isn't an issue. The 2 can be found on Amazon for $229 and the 2Pro for $299 (sometimes more, sometimes less). 

Operating the printers is easy. You literally turn them on, select the file from the thumb drive and press print.

The hard part is getting the settings down in the slicer and you can pretty much count on failures (a few to several) before finally getting a good print. Once you've nailed down the settings for a particular part though, the rest go pretty smoothly. Keep in mind though there are other factors that can cause failures (build plate not being level, FEP in the vat being damaged and the list goes on). Settings will also change depending on the part, the printer used, as well as the type of resin being used. One sized setting does not fit all!

Other expenses you have to factor in are the cost of resin (average of about $40 USD for a 1000g bottle), FEP sheets, replacement LCD screens, etc. As an example, a replacement LCD screen for the standard Mars is $39.99 while a replacement LCD screen for the Phrozen Sonic Mini 4K is $99.99. The LCD screen will go bad eventually, there is nothing that can be done to avoid it. It's simply a matter of when. You'll also need to invest in a UPS. If power goes out, you'll lose your print. Had it happen last year before I got UPS's for my printers. I was 13 hours in to a 15 hour print and lost power during a storm. It sucks when it happens as you have to start all over again and is a big waste of time and resin.

Obviously, I use mine for production and have sunk a pretty big chunk of change into parts and materials to keep the train moving. So far, I've only had to replace two LCD screens. One went bad, the other broke when the build plate slipped out of my hand and fell on it. 

It's satisfying when things go right, but very frustrating when they don't. If you have any more questions, you're free to ask here or send me an email. I'll do what I can to help. 

Dave

exactly what I was looking for guys, thank you.

50 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

Dave

Dave, what software do you recommend? obviously it comes with a program to slice an object, but can it be used for designing stuff as well?

13 minutes ago, dylan said:

exactly what I was looking for guys, thank you.

Dave, what software do you recommend? obviously it comes with a program to slice an object, but can it be used for designing stuff as well?

The slicing program is Chitubox and comes on the thumb drive provided with the printer. You can also download it for free from their webs site. Another slicing program is Lychee, but I've never used it. It seems to be more useful for those that print miniatures. To design stuff, you'll need a CAD program. I use Fusion 360 and pay $60 a month. There is a free version, but you're limited to what you can do. There are others out there, but 360 works for what I do. Some are relatively inexpensive while others are very high. As mentioned above, I would recommend watching a lot of videos on Youtube for both 360 and the various printers before making a decision. But to be honest, you won't be disappointed in the any of the Elegoo printers, especially the Mars 2. 

2 minutes ago, Dave Roof said:

The slicing program is Chitubox and comes on the thumb drive provided with the printer. You can also download it for free from their webs site. Another slicing program is Lychee, but I've never used it. It seems to be more useful for those that print miniatures. To design stuff, you'll need a CAD program. I use Fusion 360 and pay $60 a month. There is a free version, but you're limited to what you can do. There are others out there, but 360 works for what I do. Some are relatively inexpensive while others are very high. As mentioned above, I would recommend watching a lot of videos on Youtube for both 360 and the various printers before making a decision. But to be honest, you won't be disappointed in the any of the Elegoo printers, especially the Mars 2. 

Again. thank you Dave.
I am off to deep dive into this

Don't forget to add the following items:

I use a Elegoo Mars - pricing based on that.

BUT I highly suggest the Elegoo Mars 2 (not pro) you'll save about 80-100 bucks, technically Mars 2 & Mars P2 they are the exact same wrt printing.

$12.00 Pickle jar - for rinsing your print in alcohol (or whatever you find you like)

$ varies - Alcohol - I use 99% I found a very cheap place to buy.

$60.00 - Curing station, you'll  need one, I use the Elegoo Mercury version works for 90% of my needs, Mr Sunshine does the rest for me.

$10.00 - Paint strainers, paper style - recoop your resin when a print fails.

$10.00 Gloves - latex type.

And...

$37.00 For your first prints, get some cheaper resin to start. I mean cheaper stay with the most common resin grey. The other colors are typically more expensive. And then get two bottles, cuz once you get comfortable then you will go non stop. Amazon offers a subscription ($34) monthly and can get a bit cheaper.

$40+ for water washable resin (just as good), if you don't want to use alcohol, water clean up.

$20.00 ish for 5 - FEP replacement

$30.00 ish Spare screen

Watch tons of YouTube videos...but for me I watched after I had tried a couple prints to get a better idea what they were talking about. Then I played with supports etc and helped me understand it much more. I also learned how to 3D draw my own ac parts that are not avail anywhere. Like the missing pieces for my C-119, all the antennas were gone and the Main Wheels. Also designed, drew and printed my car antenna for my 1/24 Boss 302 Mustang. I also have been commissioned for an upcoming project for the near future that will require 3d drawing, then printing, then finally the build of the kit for a special bird.

Hope this helps...makes me think we should start a 3d Print Forums in here...moderators you listening …?

Cheers

AFM

Edited by AlienFrogModeller
16 hours ago, AlienFrogModeller said:

Hope this helps...makes me think we should start a 3d Print Forums in here...moderators you listening …?

Cheers

AFM

ahh yes they always get you on the accessories.
I did some math and it looks like to get a 3d printer set up I am looking at 6-700 dollars Canadian. that is if my 7 year old desktop can handle the software.
thanks for the very helpful info

40 minutes ago, dylan said:

ahh yes they always get you on the accessories.
I did some math and it looks like to get a 3d printer set up I am looking at 6-700 dollars Canadian. that is if my 7 year old desktop can handle the software.
thanks for the very helpful info

As for SW, the Chitubox should run fine, might take long in writing the file or initial drawing of the file, but once your in, should be good.

Cheers

AFM