Sunken F6F Hellcat Bikini Atolls Marshall Islands

Just ordered the 12" Diam acrylic container it comes with a lighted LED lid and you can change the color. It will work great to apply light through the resin and highlight the model. Ill remove the container flip it over cut the diorama base which I measured and made 13" diameter down so it slides to the bottom and secure it with adhesive. Ill detail the process once it arrives in about a week.

20210901_225342-600x430.png

Hello Dave

Your build is awesome and inspiring, I'm following it with interest since the beginning, but until today I remembered an episode of Netflix's "Tales by light" (the first on season one), they are photographing a sunken plane with a technique that made the scene very interesting; I recommend seeing it if you have the chance.

Maybe it is too late, but it could be interesting to add some color subtly, perhaps on some part of the scene, to simulate where the diver's light is shining? Not that your work is lacking anything, just a suggestion.

Please keep up the good work you are doing; I'm eager to see it finished.

Carlos

On 9/2/2021 at 2:02 AM, Night Owl Models said:

Just ordered the 12" Diam acrylic container it comes with a lighted LED lid and you can change the color. It will work great to apply light through the resin and highlight the model. Ill remove the container flip it over cut the diorama base which I measured and made 13" diameter down so it slides to the bottom and secure it with adhesive. Ill detail the process once it arrives in about a week.

20210901_225342-600x430.png

Nifty idea!  But it says in the product description that the LEDs are in the base, not the lid?  I'm confused.  Do you plan to mount it upside down?

Yes lol ill separate the clear acrylic base turn it over and use it as a container. I'll cut the diorama down in circumference so it slides to the bottom secure it then do the pour. The LED base will become the lid so the light will accentuate the model like sunlight through water.

I watched "Tales by light" wow that's is a powerful documentary everyone should watch. Dont want to get too far off topic but some of the episodes are very touching. 

That old biplane is so amazing...thanks Cruiz now I am thinking of a new project!

I agree I have a few thoughts on how I can add some colour within the lighted area. I am having some issues getting a 3D modeling company to make my drivers. This part may take a few months.

I am looking to the O scale train world for the miniature LED lights that will make the divers flood light. Here is a test I did with a light shine through a small aperture into my test acrylic pour. The angle is hard to determine but it is from the top side down onto the wing. Here is a reminder of the test pour and the light trial.

Test piece 3"Ă—3" clear acrylic box filled with tinted acrylic poured over mock up.

20210419_134231-600x292.jpg

Light test in a dark room.

20210828_204718-600x450.jpg

The acrylic has hundreds of mico bubbles that come alive and add to the realism. It also accentuates the light just like real water. I am so stoked to get this to the finish line.

20210828_204124-600x450.jpg

So I pushed a 3D rendering to Shapeways for quote to design and print two 1/48 divers.đŸ˜² $650 C'mon really. I can buy a 3D printer and download a free STL file which is probably the way to go anyways. I have been waiting to pull the trigger on 3D printer so this is giving me a reason to invest. I want to start making my own detail sets anyway. I have seen other members making custom parts it's the wave of the future making parts and sharing files.

Edited by Night Owl Models
Update
  • 3 weeks later...

I think if you reverse think your model purchases you can spend $60 On a mediocre kit $85 on a high end kit add taxes and shipping. Then add the cost of detail sets, paint, custom decals now your at $300 or more. The Jasmine Hellcat is what it is no decals,paint or upgrade parts. So I just call it even. 

Anyways I have the acrylic cylinder from Displays to go. I took it to my local plastic store and they were able to cut it down and finish the edge. The dimensions we're 12" diameter 12" high. I can only pour 6" max no acrylic deep pour product is meant to go deeper. Because I am tinting the resin it has to be poured in one go.

20210920_143201-600x450.jpg

20210920_214448-600x450.jpg

20210920_214541-600x450.jpg

Still working on the divers. In the meantime I am doing a test on a small piece where I am using clear fishing line to suspend fish and create a school of them which is common haven at wreck sites. The fishin line will disappear in the acrylic resin and give the fish a realistic suspended swimming effect.

This looks great, Dave; your idea of using a fishing line is interesting; I've seen other works where this effect is achieved by pouring the resin in stages and placing the elements in different layers. However, I don't know if it is easier or if this will cause undesired optical effects.

• 2 weeks later...

I have moved into another trial to see if I can create a school of marine fish which are always around a wreck. The goal is to make them look like they are floating/swimming.

The problem-when you place an object in resin during the curing process it iether wants to float to the surface or sink to the bottom. I tried once putting rice grains in when the resin was just over half way solid some sank some floated.

Solution-fix the fish to thin strands of clear fishing line. 

Here you can see I cut some fishy shapes from tin and fixed them to an inch long piece of fishing line. I just put some glue on the other end of the line and pokes it into the sea floor. 

This is a 1/48 scale barrel on its side fish swimming around it. Look closely at the line holding the fish up.

20210930_222933-600x450.jpg

On this trial I really cut back the pigment powder. I am happy with the way the fishing line disappears in the acrylic and the fish look like they are suspended in water. Please zoom in as close as you like.

20211010_192042-600x288.jpg

This will be my last post for a bit I am going to purchase a 3D printer get it set up do some trials. I have found great sites for files on the diver and fish so I can make as many as I like.