F-15EX Officially the F-15EX "Eagle II"

Political reasons. By calling it the F-15F it becomes "a new" fighter, rowling up the politicians in Washington. By calling it F-15EX you basically state that this is an evolution of the existing F-15E, ie not a "new" fighter by political definition. Adding Eagle II you firm up this yet retain that this is a new generation F-15E. 

You saw the same with the F-16C Block 40/42, which initially - although not formally - was the F-16G/H (single/Dual seater) which became the F-16CG/DG and the F-16C block 50/52 which initially was the F-16J/K (single/Double seater) which became the F-16CJ/DJ.

Washington simply don't want to be lured into buying a new fighter which is essentially a development of an existing model. Like it or not, it's politics! 

1 hour ago, Niels said:

Political reasons. By calling it the F-15F it becomes "a new" fighter, rowling up the politicians in Washington. By calling it F-15EX you basically state that this is an evolution of the existing F-15E, ie not a "new" fighter by political definition. Adding Eagle II you firm up this yet retain that this is a new generation F-15E. 

You saw the same with the F-16C Block 40/42, which initially - although not formally - was the F-16G/H (single/Dual seater) which became the F-16CG/DG and the F-16C block 50/52 which initially was the F-16J/K (single/Double seater) which became the F-16CJ/DJ.

Washington simply don't want to be lured into buying a new fighter which is essentially a development of an existing model. Like it or not, it's politics! 

Nailed it!

10 hours ago, ST0RM said:

Eagle II, meh. Sums up the current USAF leadership's imagination. 

Like I said earlier, this is not up to USAF management but to the politicians. I can only refer you to what I said earlier on the politics of the game, and the politicans hold the wallet with the money. 

17 hours ago, Spectre711 said:

How about a F-15G?  That could be real interesting.

Back in the 80s, McDonnell Douglas proposed a Wild Weasel variant that most likely would have been designated F-15G ...

-Gregg

1 hour ago, freshnewstart said:

Or simply: This is an Eagle two

Or : This is an Eagle too  :monkeydance:

I can read it as Eagle II = Eagle Eye (squared)

Edited by habu2