F-15EX Officially the F-15EX "Eagle II"

• 3 weeks later...

Oh, ok. So it means my local flyboys could still fly that F-15's I thought of as a kid? Nice. I might even have the notebook with drawings from English lessons. Gotta get me an F-15 kit.

For the name Super Eagle feels too 90's. I'd love an Eagle too for a cheaper, less capable version. Oh the fun... They should have gone with something more modern. Like... Neagle? So now they got Lightning II along with Eagle II. Ok, I admit, I was waiting for a Duper Hornet. Now all I can hope for is Hornet III.

On 5/10/2021 at 10:17 AM, GreyGhost said:

Don't forget the AV-8B Harrier II.

Like I said, its not without precedent ...

-Gregg

On 5/10/2021 at 1:01 PM, wxltcol said:

And Lightning II, the F-35..

and both of those are examples of names tainted with STOVL. how gauche 

On 5/9/2021 at 1:20 PM, Thadeus said:

Oh, ok. So it means my local flyboys could still fly that F-15's I thought of as a kid? Nice. 

P-40_fighters_Mitchel_Field_41.jpg

2471693_original.jpg

Y8%20(1).png?itok=CHDWyj-c

Please note all images separated by 40 years.

On 4/13/2021 at 8:49 PM, dylan said:

Can't afford and won't spend the money are 2 very different things. Canada has a lot of money for "other stuff"

and IMO we don't need much in the way of 5th gen stuff ....yet. we need an interceptor for NORAD commitment and a bomb truck to drop ordy on people 2 days after the U.S. starts a fight.

5th generation is entry standard now. This would be like saying they don't need a missile equipped CF-18.. since missiles are the 4th gen stuff they don't need. just guns and some clouds like dad needed. If you're doing NORAD, you're doing 5th gen because thats what's carrying the weight now and in the future. 

I know Canada puts off the future as long as possible, but its here unfortunately 

5 hours ago, habu2 said:

B-52 crews everywhere are lol at these comparisons.... 

If they're laughing its comfortably after the more modern bombers have created a permissive environment for them to operate over. 

2 hours ago, GreyGhost said:

So, the F-35 has a shelf life of 25* more years then ...

-Gregg

*If going by production first flight, prototype first flight, its 20 years.

its a fine guess but the timeline is well beyond 25 years in all the plans. Plans change of course, but as of now its the 2070s. Remember that in order to christen the airplane a "trillion dollar fighter" they had to take the timeline out to the 2070s...

F-35 Will Fly Until 2070 — Six Years Longer Than Planned

By: Lara Seligman   March 24, 2016

PW5RH4IJEFBUFFJKWJMSN3OIBE.jpg 

An F-35A takes off from Hill Air Force Base, Utah, March 14, 2014. After getting upgrades, the F-35A is on its way back to Nellis AFB, Nev. (U.S. Air Force photo by Airman 1st Class Joshua D. King/ RELEASED)

WASHINGTON — The F-35 joint strike fighter will fly until 2070, reflecting a decision by the US armed services to extend the operational life of the fleet by six years.  

All three services that operate the F-35 — the US Air Force, US Navy and US Marine Corps — increased the total flight hours for the fleet by 1.6 million, F-35 Joint Program Office Chief Lt. Gen. Christopher Bogdan told reporters March 24 at the Pentagon. Of the total, the Air Force added 1.3 million flight hours, while the Navy added 300,000 flight hours, according to the JPO.

The Air Force extended the life of each F-35A jet by two years, adding six years in total to the program, according to the JPO. This effectively means the JSF will fly until 2070, instead of 2064 as planned.

This extension translated into an addition of $45 billion in operating and support (O&S) costs to the 2015 estimate, masking a 2 to 4 percent drop in real O&S costs, Bogdan stressed. Without this extension, F-35 life cycle O&S costs would have decreased by about $22 billion from the 2014 estimate, he said.

From 2014 to 2015, the Pentagon's latest Selected Acquisition Report shows the total cost to operate and support the F-35's over its service life has increased by  $107.3 billion in then-year dollars, or adjusted for inflation. The 2014 estimate for the 55 years of expected F-35 service to 2064 was $1016.5 billion, or just over $1 trillion; the now 60-year estimate to keep F-35s flying until 2070 is $1123.8 billion.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all, 

Besides Kursad decals, what is needed to build an F-15EX from existing kits. Is it reasonnably possible to build one?

Namely, can anybody list/sum up the cosmetic differences between an F-15E and an F-15EX?

Cheers 

Eric B.

20 hours ago, Eric B. said:

Hello all, 

Besides Kursad decals, what is needed to build an F-15EX from existing kits. Is it reasonnably possible to build one?

Namely, can anybody list/sum up the cosmetic differences between an F-15E and an F-15EX?

Cheers 

Eric B.

Much is internal and from the exterior has an additional pylon station on each wing as well as the new EPAWS antenna on the tail booms. Check out the F-15SA and it will have much of those exterior antenna. I think we will have to wait for kit makers to give is the details and/or the resin making crowd to get on the computer and 3d print details. We still do not have an accurate F-15E cockpit, so I doubt it will come anytime soon. 

Edited by Mr Matt Foley
5 hours ago, Mr Matt Foley said:

Much is internal and from the exterior has an additional pylon station on each wing as well as the new EPAWS antenna on the tail booms. Check out the F-15SA and it will have much of those exterior antenna. I think we will have to wait for kit makers to give is the details and/or the resin making crowd to get on the computer and 3d print details. We still do not have an accurate F-15E cockpit, so I doubt it will come anytime soon. 

BAM Models has a conversion set out for Academy, Revelle and GWH F-15’s.

I just received my set and I can tell you the only thing that is missing that I can see is the wheels.  They seem to be different from the E model wheels.

The BAM set is excellent and I’m going to use a GWH F-15I to convert to an EX with Oregon Air Guard Markings since they will be the first unit to receive the new EX!

22 minutes ago, ORANGF15Guy said:

BAM Models has a conversion set out for Academy, Revelle and GWH F-15’s.

I just received my set and I can tell you the only thing that is missing that I can see is the wheels.  They seem to be different from the E model wheels.

The BAM set is excellent and I’m going to use a GWH F-15I to convert to an EX with Oregon Air Guard Markings since they will be the first unit to receive the new EX!

Does the BAM conversion make an EX or just update to a current E status?

I need to make a current E, but I have and old Academy kit.

4 hours ago, Da SWO said:

Does the BAM conversion make an EX or just update to a current E status?

I need to make a current E, but I have and old Academy kit.

Designed for the new F-15 EX.  Go check it out at their web site.  The casting and 3D printing is excellent!

2 minutes ago, ORANGF15Guy said:

Designed for the new F-15 EX.  Go check it out at their web site.  The casting and 3D printing is excellent!

I stand corrected it is for the SG, but I spoke with Arnaud and he says that the conversion is good to go for an EX with the exception of the front IP, but you would have to use, in my case either the GHW F-15E or I because of the conformal fuel pallets!

4 hours ago, ORANGF15Guy said:

I stand corrected it is for the SG, but I spoke with Arnaud and he says that the conversion is good to go for an EX with the exception of the front IP, but you would have to use, in my case either the GHW F-15E or I because of the conformal fuel pallets!

All IPs and glare shields are different actually, I'm working on them - it takes a lot of work as it's quite a fidly assembly between the cockpit tub, the fuselage, the IPs and the glare shields 🙂 The good news is that once this is done I will have most of the SA,QA and EX sets done 🥳

@ORANGF15Guy Here is the front glare shield, quite different from the current one as you can see:

[img]https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51207818495_42163da925_c.jpg[/img]

You should have told me you wanted to build an EX by the way, it would have been easier for you 😉