Hi all, been a long time since I've posted anything here, so thought I'd share one this with you. This is a model I finished for Airfix Model World, a few months ago and it featured in the March edition of the magazine. It is, of course, Airfix's all-new Avro Vulcan B.Mk2. Early in the project I was asked by Airfix to provide research for the kit, in particular detail photography, aircraft history and to select the colour schemes to be used. As for the kit itself, it was a pleasure to build, however there were a few annoyances (and minor omissions) along the way, which I covered at length in the magazine article. Summing up, it was an enjoyable build that went together without drama. The kit comes with a good variety of options, including parts for early and late B2s along with Blue Steel carrier or free fall bomber with full bomb load. Overall, the fit was excellent and thought has been given to make assembly straightforward, a definite improvement over the old Airfix kit. Should be available mid-year.

Thanks for looking.

Andy

01-AGD-0854.jpg

02-AGD-0853.jpg

03-AGD-0852.jpg

04-AGD-0850.jpg

3-AGD-0806.jpg

5-AGD-0807.jpg

Base by Noy Miniatures and ground equipment courtesy of Aircraft In Miniature 3D printed items (the red engine blanks are supplied in the kit)

11-AGD-0820.jpg

1-AGD-0818.jpg

Edited by General Melchett

Stunning! I've just added this one to my list to build.

I have fond memories watching the Vulcan fly at the early Dayton Air Shows, mid 1970's up until '80 or '81, I believe. That thing would rattle your teeth!

Thanks Dutch, that's very kind of you.

Does the kit include the TFR pimple on the nose in the first release?  The buildups and decal profiles on the Airfix web site only show the original smooth nose.

Dave, thanks, yes this issue includes three nose configurations, two nose cones, one completely smooth, the other with a recess for fitting either just the TFR pimple, just the  IFR probe or the IFR probe and TFR. Also included are two styles of exhaust jet pipes (Olympus 201 and 301), three styles of counterpoise ECM panel, (that fit between the rear end of the underside engine tunnels, either single or a pair, depending on the airframe), two tail fin caps, one the original smooth style and one with the rectangular AR18228 Passive Warning Radar fairing. Also included are two styles of tail cone for Red Steer Mk1 and Mk 2 rear warning radar and a choice of twin or single head X-Band emitter housing that fits under the rear fuselage, ahead of the bulged ECM tail fairing.

Hope this helps.

Andy

On 4/7/2021 at 8:22 PM, aircommando130 said:

Awesome Vulcan! I wish I could of seen one fly!

I read the book "VULCAN 607" awhile back...WOW!

If you want a great story that reads like a movie that's it!

Cheers...Ron

Just finished the book myself... brilliant story of some amazing aviation history.

If it was a fictional novel, or a Hollywood movie, you'd be rolling your eyes thinking "oh right, of course that just randomly happened" numerous times throughout the story.

It gave me the itch to buy this new Vulcan kit as well... despite vowing never to build another large model. 😏

Amazing build.  

When I was 13 living on Andersen AFB, Guam in 1970 a Vulcan was visiting the base.  When it took off it did a few high speed passes and a couple of steep turns at low level.  (Nothing our B-52Ds could try.)

My dad got it all on 8mm and years ago we transferred it to DVD.  It was painted just like your phenomenal effort.  Gotta dig out the DVD.

Thanks guys, agreed, Vulcan 607 is a great, inspirational read. If you want the ultimate guide to the Vulcan Mk2 that includes every variation of the aircraft throughout its life then get hold of a copy of Craig Bulmans 'The Vulcan B.Mk2 from a Different Angle', a superb reference work. Every Vulcan period is covered along with squadrons, equipment and final disposal.

Thanks AD-4N, the Vulcan made a pretty good show of itself when displayed due to it's power and that large wing. I remember watching them at UK airshows in the mid 60s and being blown away by the noise and maneuverability of the thing at low level. A very impressive beast.

• 1 month later...
On 4/17/2021 at 5:47 AM, General Melchett said:

If you want the ultimate guide to the Vulcan Mk2 that includes every variation of the aircraft throughout its life then get hold of a copy of Craig Bulmans 'The Vulcan B.Mk2 from a Different Angle', a superb reference work. Every Vulcan period is covered along with squadrons, equipment and final disposal.

Andy,

Does this book contain any reliable side view profile drawings that could be used to correct the shape of the nose in the only 1/48 vac-form kit there is in the market?

Think it'd make a very useful birthday gift to my other half.

TIA

Cheers,

Gwen

Hi Gwen, I'm afraid there aren't any profile views in the book. I know exactly what you're talking about as I have the Aeroclub kit too and spent a long time modifying the nose to get the shape right. In the end I stopped, before burning through the thin vac styrene having being given the prototype 1/48th Icelandic Fine Arts resin kit from Alan Wilson (which had the same issue with the nose but overall a lot more accurate (and, of course, newer) than the old Aeroclub kit.  It's quite hard to find accurate profile drawings of the Vulcan's nose, most, like the two kits mentioned, have them too blunt, short and rounded. My best suggestion would be to use the link to the image below. Although it shows a tech drawing for a B1 (XA903), the nose shape was identical for the B Mk.2. Hope this helps.

Avro Vulcan drawings   

Andy

Hi Andy,

Many thanks for the reply. Well, I'm afraid the book is already on its way by now. Got a copy for £9, so I felt the urge of hastily triggering on the 'buy' button yesterday without even having read your answer.

Well, it's all rocket science for me, but I'm sure my boyfriend will find the link you posted very useful (I think he said he was going to replace the whole upper surface of the nose in that kit?). Or something like that; I don't know. 

Stay safe.

Cheers,

Gwen

Gwen,

You got it at a bargain price. The book is still a good investment as to my mind it's the most comprehensive Vulcan book available (from the modellers perspective). It was a huge help during my research for the new Airfix kit as it includes every possible detail variation, individual airframe history and modifications, aircraft movements between squadrons and tech data. Bottom line, I think your boyfriend will find it very useful.

You mention him replacing the upper surface of the nose but unfortunately the lower suffers from the same issue, although it's easier to sand that to a better shape than the top. The problem is that the whole thing needs reshaping as it's too fat and bulbous in both plan and profile views. Basically it needs a new nose forward of the cockpit. If he needs any help or info then please let me know.

Cheers

Andy 

On 6/6/2021 at 6:03 AM, General Melchett said:

You got it at a bargain price. 

Andy,

If only I could disregard those £33 which the shipping was for it... (ouch!)

On 6/6/2021 at 6:03 AM, General Melchett said:

If he needs any help or info then please let me know.

Highly appreciated! How nice of you. Will tell him. Thank you very much.

Take care.

Gwen

• 3 months later...

Late to the thread here but that is such an amazing build Andy.   The Vulcan is such an iconic aircraft and probably one of the loudest I've ever heard.   We used to have them visit Offutt AFB in Nebraska when I was a kid and one morning one took off and literately had the windows of the house rattling it was so loud.   Loved it when they'd do flying demos during open houses at Offutt before they were retired.

Regards,

Don