1/48 Tamiya F-14D --> F-14B VF-143 Dog 100

How awful is it that in building this Tamiya Cat, the way it's engineered, I don't want to build ANYTHING but Tamiya kits from here on?

I just added their 1/48 A-1J to my stash, as well as their P-38H. (I have two more D-Cats, a P-51D, two P-47M's, and two F4U's, all from Tamiya.)

One other quick thought - has anyone here built any of the Zokei-Mura F-4's, the "Super Wings" series? I have an E and a J model, I've read reviews that seem to place these up there with Tamiya.

Once this Cat is done, I'm probably going to build one of the Hobby Boss "easy assembly" kits just to finish something in under four weeks' time.

• 2 weeks later...

After hitting the wall for almost two weeks, I've made a bit more progress.

Input/critiques are encouraged.....I re-did the forward fuselage colors, clear-coated, then masked and did the darker color. Now, to me, the upper forward fuselage looks "sterile" - none of the tonal variation I'd worked so hard to get on the other surfaces. Arghh!

Also - the lighting may be off here, as this in our DR - but too dark overall for Dog 100?

20210529_194823.jpg

20210529_195014.jpg

33-F-14B_162921_VF-143_AG100_3-2001.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm doing the Fightertown Decals version of Dog 100, and have a question as to what "dual bomber" means...or clarification. "100 was only configured as a dual bomber."

Does this mean that rear pallets (in the tunnel area) were not carried? Would Dog 100 have carried GBU-12's and -16's? The wording on the sheet is confusing, IMO.

553583455_20210620_152342(1).jpg

It means that it was approved for both load-modes and that is, to carry the GBU-31 and the GBU-12 for a specific mission and the second mission's configuration that it refers to. at least this is what I understand by reading the text.

I thought I remember GW replied to that question.  Yeah,  here it is -- Page 2 Apr29 ---  "Dual bomber means it has two bomb rails on the forward stations. For the 02 their standard load out was 2 x GBU-12 and 1 AIM-9M and 1 AIM-7M or AIM-54C on station 1B (depends on the aircraft, half of the birds had a Sparrow launcher, the other half had a Phoenix launcher on the left wing), and of course a LANTRIN Pod and 2 drop tanks.

GW

96-00 Pukin Dogs Ord/QA"

1 hour ago, crackerjazz said:

I thought I remember GW replied to that question.  Yeah,  here it is -- Page 2 Apr29 ---  "Dual bomber means it has two bomb rails on the forward stations. For the 02 their standard load out was 2 x GBU-12 and 1 AIM-9M and 1 AIM-7M or AIM-54C on station 1B (depends on the aircraft, half of the birds had a Sparrow launcher, the other half had a Phoenix launcher on the left wing), and of course a LANTRIN Pod and 2 drop tanks.

GW

96-00 Pukin Dogs Ord/QA"

I did go back and found that post from GW. "...only configured as a dual bomber." My situation is the holes for the rear pallets have been drilled out.....I don't want to install the rear ones if it wouldn't be accurate.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/29/2021 at 10:29 PM, GW8345 said:

Dual bomber means it has two bomb rails on the forward stations. For the 02 their standard load out was 2 x GBU-12 and 1 AIM-9M and 1 AIM-7M or AIM-54C on station 1B (depends on the aircraft, half of the birds had a Sparrow launcher, the other half had a Phoenix launcher on the left wing), and of course a LANTRIN Pod and 2 drop tanks.

GW

96-00 Pukin Dogs Ord/QA

So, for Dog 100 (OEF 2002), would a GBU-12 and a GBU-16 be accurate? I'm at the ordnance assembly steps.

Also, in the tunnel, were the two rear pallets installed (empty), or left off?

Thanks everyone!

On 7/4/2021 at 7:54 AM, MA Cooke said:

So, for Dog 100 (OEF 2002), would a GBU-12 and a GBU-16 be accurate? I'm at the ordnance assembly steps.

Also, in the tunnel, were the two rear pallets installed (empty), or left off?

Thanks everyone!

No, I've never seen or heard of them mixing GBU-12/16's, all the load outs I've seen and loaded were of the same GBU so 2 x GBU-12 would be accurate.

The two rear pallets (weapons rails) were left off unless you were actually carrying something, this allowed the pilot to have a thousand pounds of more gas coming across the ramp for a trap.

hth

GW

On 6/22/2021 at 12:19 PM, MA Cooke said:

I'm doing the Fightertown Decals version of Dog 100, and have a question as to what "dual bomber" means...or clarification. "100 was only configured as a dual bomber."

Does this mean that rear pallets (in the tunnel area) were not carried? Would Dog 100 have carried GBU-12's and -16's? The wording on the sheet is confusing, IMO.

553583455_20210620_152342(1).jpg

Dual Bomber = two weapons rails (pallets) loaded on the front stations

Quad Bomber = for weapons rails (pallets) loaded, two on the front, two on the back.

Weapons Rails were 99% carried in pairs, the only time were didn't carry them in pairs was when were taking a spare rail with us when we went somewhere (ie going to the boat/Fallon/etc). (beats the hell out of putting it in the truck with rest of the gear, which has been done and is a huge PITA).

8 hours ago, GW8345 said:

Dual Bomber = two weapons rails (pallets) loaded on the front stations

Quad Bomber = for weapons rails (pallets) loaded, two on the front, two on the back.

Weapons Rails were 99% carried in pairs, the only time were didn't carry them in pairs was when were taking a spare rail with us when we went somewhere (ie going to the boat/Fallon/etc). (beats the hell out of putting it in the truck with rest of the gear, which has been done and is a huge PITA).

Thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it.

One last one - did Dog 100 ever have an AIM-9 on the starboard ring root - above the LANTIRN pod?

9 minutes ago, MA Cooke said:

Thank you for the clarification, I appreciate it.

One last one - did Dog 100 ever have an AIM-9 on the starboard ring root - above the LANTIRN pod?

Yes.

Normally the AIM-9 was flown on the opposite side of LANTRIN Pod but at times it was flown one the same side.

10 minutes ago, GW8345 said:

Yes.

Normally the AIM-9 was flown on the opposite side of LANTRIN Pod but at times it was flown one the same side.

Thank you again!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 2:26 AM, FASTEAGLE107 said:

Can't wait to see your Pukin' Dog bird finished MAC. Any progress on the project?

No, I hit two brick walls. First - lot of "to-do" stuff around the haus, as well as the yard, etc.

Second....I'm not at liberty to discuss at this moment. Sorry.

Honestly, I don't think I'll have Dog 100 done by the end date.

• 3 weeks later...

Latest archived pic of Dog 100, as well as "The Tomato."

(I thought I had later pics of the abandoned Tomato build - it's ~ 85 to 90% complete. Gear doors and bang seats are about all that's left.)

I've lost steam in building right now.....I may pick up again in January. Right now, I'm studying for private pilot ground school. AND exercising and working on getting to a better healthy state. The academics so far aren't very challenging (I've got a BSME from 20+ years ago), but I doubt I could pass an FAA physical.

20210621_201055.jpg

20210411_183111.jpg

20210401_205655.jpg

• 4 months later...

UPDATE - if anyone is still around.

Last fall I posted that I was undertaking private pilot ground school, but that was a part of a bigger goal, which I'm verrrrrrryyyyyyy close to finishing.

I've just completed the remote learning course, "learn at your own pace", and comprises 138 hours of the required 200 hours to earn an FAA Aircraft Dispatcher's Certificate (ADX). Saturday morning, in about 36 hours, I start the final stretch, 62 hours of live classroom sessions (Saturday thru Friday, 9 or 10 hour days each day).

My nephew has been an ADX now for 11 years, and made it to "the big leagues" 6 years ago - he's been at United since. He planted the bug in my ear almost 4 years ago....I thought it was a pipe dream, but here I am, almost at the top of Mt. Everest.