1/48 Tamiya F-14D --> F-14B VF-143 Dog 100

17 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

You're a marbling pro!  : )  Have you found out why your black primer kept clogging up your nozzle yet?   I was thinking it was because it wasnt 1500 but some coarser grade.

Thanks crackerjazz.

It was the 1500 - I prolly didn't have it thin enough. Even when I'd thinned the stuff today beyond the 2:1, I'd still have to pull the needle back all they way every so often - but not as much as yesterday.

Got the upper wings darkened a bit, as well as the underside. And I pulled up the Maskol on the panel lines. THAT was satisfying, like pulling up a spider's web.

Too much?

20210427_201939.jpg

20210427_202439.jpg

On 4/28/2021 at 2:50 AM, MA Cooke said:

Got the upper wings darkened a bit, as well as the underside. And I pulled up the Maskol on the panel lines. THAT was satisfying, like pulling up a spider's web.

Too much?

20210427_201939.jpg

20210427_202439.jpg

Great marbling skills here. Maskol is a great idea.

I also find my inspiration on the Doog's video (espacially the Intruder's one).

Ready for more.

1 hour ago, FASTEAGLE107 said:

Great marbling skills here. Maskol is a great idea.

I also find my inspiration on the Doog's video (espacially the Intruder's one).

Ready for more.

Thank you......thankyouverymuch.  (Announcer: "Mitch has headed back to his workbench.")

Very nice, Mitch!  The photorealistic effect you can achieve with marbling is just incredible.  And it makes the model look huge.   Have a question for you guys, is the TPS paint scheme strictly followed on the actual aircraft where divisions are clear between the top and bottom colors? I'm talking about the 3-color scheme here:

https://www.cybermodeler.com/aircraft/f-14/f-14_profile02.shtml

Also, I have Fightertown's sheet, it indicated Dog 100 was a "dual bomber" - I'm not sure what is meant by this. I'm looking to do a proper loadout, but honestly, many of the pics I've seen show it empty (minus the one linked above), except for the LANTIRN pod.

6 hours ago, MA Cooke said:

Does anyone know if the three-grey TPS scheme was used on VF-143 birds circa 2002 - 2003? I am doing this one.....

Dog 100 via www.anft.net

...it APPEARS to me that it has all three, but I've seen other photos that seem to show just two greys - 36320 upper and 36375 lower.

The picture you linked is from the 2000 cruise on the IKE, at that time it was two color. I left the squadron in Dec 2000 but from what my friends in the squadron told me (and from the pics I've seen) the only difference between the 2000 cruise and the 02 cruise on the JFK markings was that the style of the modex on the nose.

6 hours ago, MA Cooke said:

Also, I have Fightertown's sheet, it indicated Dog 100 was a "dual bomber" - I'm not sure what is meant by this. I'm looking to do a proper loadout, but honestly, many of the pics I've seen show it empty (minus the one linked above), except for the LANTIRN pod.

Dual bomber means it has two bomb rails on the forward stations. For the 02 their standard load out was 2 x GBU-12 and 1 AIM-9M and 1 AIM-7M or AIM-54C on station 1B (depends on the aircraft, half of the birds had a Sparrow launcher, the other half had a Phoenix launcher on the left wing), and of course a LANTRIN Pod and 2 drop tanks.

GW

96-00 Pukin Dogs Ord/QA

Edited by GW8345
On 4/29/2021 at 10:29 PM, GW8345 said:

The picture you linked is from the 2000 cruise on the IKE, at that time it was two color.

Two color.....375 lower and 320 upper, or other colors?

Moved into some blending layers last night. All the attachments are on sticks, and man, I feel like these alone are 2 to 3 hours of airbrushing alone.

I'm thinking I'm going to do a bit of darkened marbling in the middle rear fuselage (wings back), then a lighter blend coat. Or maybe just the lighter blend, not sure. Thoughts from you all?

I still need to lighten the underside, but I do want to keep the "tunnel" on the darker/grimy side.

20210503_221017.jpg

20210503_220941.jpg

20210503_220958.jpg

Yes, that is looking really good and realistic.  That 3rd photo is already like a real F-14 zapped with a shrinking ray.   I guess the randomness of the mottling is what makes it really effective.   And this is all freehand, right?   No templates or anything? 

14 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

Yes, that is looking really good and realistic.  That 3rd photo is already like a real F-14 zapped with a shrinking ray.   I guess the randomness of the mottling is what makes it really effective.   And this is all freehand, right?   No templates or anything? 

Thanks. Yes, freehand. Last night's was with the 0.5mm needle/nozzle set. The 0.35mm sizes are great for detail work, but dang, you sneeze and the tip of the nozzle is deformed. I ran to Hobby Lobby yesterday and picked up two more 0.35 sets, I had none.

Quite frustrated....masked to paint the upper fuselage & canopy-surround area, painted, and when the masking tape was removed, it pulled some paint.

I'm using the Scotch blue tape, supposed to be low tack....I haven't had issues with this before. Wondering if the "marbling technique" over black basing is leaving the paint vulnerable (due to how thin it goes down). Anyone else have this issue?

20210514_201210.jpg

20210514_201143.jpg

20210514_201158.jpg

Yeah painters' tape can do that.  Even Tamiya tape has done the same thing to me.   Especially when I don't wash the oils off the kit parts first, cause I tend not to prime.  Was the paint fully cured?  You'll probably need to lessen the tack by sticking the tape to your wrist several times before using it and when you pull off the mask from the model, fold it over 180 degrees and go very slowly.  Sometimes if I really need to mask bigger areas I use litter bags and just tape the very edge if necessary, or sometimes I just use cling wrap.

Maybe you can sand down the area a little just to get rid of the ridges (but only if they are noticeable), then do the marbling again.  The great thing about marbling and weathered paint schemes is how forgiving they are to retouches.

Edited by crackerjazz
13 hours ago, phantom said:

I think those little dings make it look real. Bug splats, salt spray. I like it.

Yes. You would have done it, you wouldn’t have succeeded... nice touch MAC !

THe weathering process will subdued it

15 hours ago, crackerjazz said:

You'll probably need to lessen the tack by sticking the tape to your wrist several times before using it...

Nope. My nickname in high school was "gorilla wrists". LOL JK I have just enough hair that your suggestion is still a "nope", though. I do get the gist of the idea.

Maybe I'll keep clean hands, and just do that with my fingers or palm.