Mig-29SMT centerline fuel tank

I am about to start GWHs lovely Mig-29Smt and the instructions tell you not to use the provided parts for the centerline fuel tank, only the wing fuel tanks. Now looking at reference photos I see:

a) the wing fuel tanks are (almost?) never used (haven't seen any photos with them installed) whereas the centerline fuel tank is worn most of the time and ...

b) the centerline fuel tank used by the SMT version seems to differ from the early versions, however it seems hard to find good photographs to really see the difference.

So my questions would be: has anyone good reference photos of said fuel tank and how close is the old one shape- and dimensionwise? Would it be feasible to modify the kits fuel tank to the one currently in use with the SMT? 

IIRC, the SMT centerline fuel tank is noticeably bulkier as its capacity was increased from 1500 to 1800 litres (I presume to cover up for the shortened dorsal tank on the 9.19 compared to the originally planned one like on the 9.17).

MiG-29N+2014+Wiki.jpg

mig-29_up_1546349130.jpg

It was discussed here already in some GWH MiG-29 topic.

Edited by ijozic
2 hours ago, ijozic said:

IIRC, the SMT centerline fuel tank is noticeably bulkier as its capacity was increased from 1500 to 1800 litres (I presume to cover up for the shortened dorsal tank on the 9.19 compared to the originally planned one like on the 9.17).

MiG-29N+2014+Wiki.jpg

mig-29_up_1546349130.jpg

It was discussed here already in some GWH MiG-29 topic.

Thanks! Yeah, looking at reference photos it looks like the old tank was round in crosssection whereas the new one is elliptic. Well at least the width should be the same (really not much space left between the intakes) and the new one seems to be only slightly longer. So maybe, if I feel frisky I'll go and try to scratchbuild a new one...

4 minutes ago, Ratte said:

Thanks! Yeah, looking at reference photos it looks like the old tank was round in crosssection whereas the new one is elliptic. Well at least the width should be the same (really not much space left between the intakes) and the new one seems to be only slightly longer. So maybe, if I feel frisky I'll go and try to scratchbuild a new one...

I've only found an earlier thread with the same topic which mentions that Zvezda MiG-29SMT has the correct bigger tank so perhaps you could use the photos of that from some build thread as a reference.

1 hour ago, ijozic said:

I've only found an earlier thread with the same topic which mentions that Zvezda MiG-29SMT has the correct bigger tank so perhaps you could use the photos of that from some build thread as a reference.

That's a great idea, thank you very much! There are good sprue pics of the Zvezda kit out there and it includes both old and new style tanks on the sprue and luckily both are split vertically. That should be a very good starting point. 

Edited by Ratte