adding depth to panel lines

the panel lines on this revell kit are ok and some have depth inside the plastic which you can just run an exacto blade through to make them deeper but some mostly on the tail section have no depth to them and come out of the plastic which makes it difficult to cut down into. Initially i was using electrical tape as a guide and running a blade over them which worked out ok but I thought Id post this problem here to see if there was a better way. 

The red circle is one I cut down with the electrical tape guide and the blue outlines are ones sticking out of the plastic. I really just dont want to mess these up because they are all over the helicopter. 

IMG_0013.thumb.JPG.c7a3bfb5e1e0c64e4ef50736982e79fb.JPG

Edited by hws5283

Which kit are you building? Interesting you have recessed and raised panel lines in one kit. I would say sand down the raised panel lines and rescribe as your doing using the old panel line as a guide.

4 hours ago, Tank said:

Which kit are you building? Interesting you have recessed and raised panel lines in one kit. I would say sand down the raised panel lines and rescribe as your doing using the old panel line as a guide.

Its a 1/48 hind by revell, which I beleive its a pretty old kit with a new set of decals, overall its pretty descent, I wanted to get the Zvezda one but didnt feel like waiting a month to get it from Russia. 

12 hours ago, Tank said:

Actually that's fairly common in older kits.

49 minutes ago, Chief Snake said:

Dymo tape is much more rigid that electric tape, try some of that. Tamiya makes a scribing specific tool which cuts a neater line. The more passes you make, the greater depth you can get.

Chris M

Good points. Another option for a scriber.
http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/product_info.php?cPath=21_105&products_id=474&osCsid=f4716848b8c0b8075da2e18c3dda283a