What's the designation of this short M116-type napalm container?

Recently I made a 3D CAD model of the 750 lbs M116 napalm bomb with open fuses/igniters, as used on prop aircraft.

forsale-37.jpg

But I also see a 'short' version of this weapon, like on the A-1E's below.

forsale-46.jpg

This photo shows the same load I believe, and it clearly shows they have exactly the same design for the nose section.

forsale-47.jpg

In this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T-07nQhv8M the same weapon can be seen at least four times. I made screenshots.

f84f-107.jpg

f84f-108.jpg

f84f-109.jpg

f84f-110.jpg

Does anyone know what the designation was? I checked all the weapon technical manuals that I have as PDFs (like TM9-1325) but there's no trace of it. And to modify the CAD model into this version, I would love to know the length, of course. Thanks in advance!

Rob

I have to add something : the details visible on the nose of both the long M116 and the short Mxxx are very specific. The have recessed beads in the 'bulkhead', there's a big igniter, on the top side there's a triangular piece to guide the fuse wire, and on the bottom side there a spur-like bracket, that rotates 90 degrees if a nose fairing is fitted.

The navy Mk 77 has completely different details on the nose. This is the best picture I could find quickly. Therefore the weapon shown above is not a Mk 77.

f84f-111.jpg

Rob

The MK77 came with different ends, some tippet, some blunt. 

Copied this overview freely from Wiki showing it came in many sizes; 

• Mk 77 Mod 0 - 750 lb (340 kg) total weight with 110 U.S. gallons (416 L; 92 imp gal) of petroleum oil.
  • Mk 77 Mod 1 - 500 lb (230 kg) total weight with 75 U.S. gallons (284 L; 62 imp gal) of petroleum oil.
  • Mk 77 Mod 2
  • Mk 77 Mod 3
  • Mk 77 Mod 4 - Approx 507 lb (230 kg) total weight with 75 U.S. gallons (284 L; 62 imp gal) of fuel (Used during the 1991 Gulf War)
  • Mk 77 Mod 5 - Approx 507 lb (230 kg) total weight with 75 U.S. gallons (284 L; 62 imp gal) of JP-4/JP-5 or JP-8 fuel and thickener (Used during the 2003 invasion of Iraq)
  • Mk 78 - 750 lb (340 kg) total weight with 110 U.S. gallons (416 L; 92 imp gal) of petroleum oil. No longer in service.
  • Mk 79 - 1,000 lb (450 kg) total weight with 112 U.S. gallons (424 L; 93 imp gal) of napalm and petrol. No longer in service.

as you see form the various weights it did come in differnt sizes. 

You also have the BLU-series which is described further here: 
BAK to BSU/BSG - Equipment Listing (designation-systems.net)

Both BLU-series and the Mk77 are quite similar in appearance and sizes, but covers most of the Napalm bombs around. 

Niels, thanks for the Mk 77 deatails, but it turns out it is a BLU-11. In manual TM 9-1325-200 it is described as a shortened 500 lbs version of the M116. The centersection is 25 inches shorter, and that is exactly what I needed to know.

Rob

On 4/13/2021 at 4:42 PM, Rob de Bie said:

Recently I made a 3D CAD model of the 750 lbs M116 napalm bomb with open fuses/igniters, as used on prop aircraft.

forsale-37.jpg

But I also see a 'short' version of this weapon, like on the A-1E's below.

forsale-46.jpg

This photo shows the same load I believe, and it clearly shows they have exactly the same design for the nose section.

forsale-47.jpg

In this video  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T-07nQhv8M the same weapon can be seen at least four times. I made screenshots.

f84f-107.jpg

f84f-108.jpg

f84f-109.jpg

f84f-110.jpg

Does anyone know what the designation was? I checked all the weapon technical manuals that I have as PDFs (like TM9-1325) but there's no trace of it. And to modify the CAD model into this version, I would love to know the length, of course. Thanks in advance!

Rob

also another shot of a Farmgate B26 with the glass nose! Pics are hard to by of these birds

gary