1/48 Hasegawa A-4 Skyhawks

Which 1/48 kit can I borrow the correct'ish size large (400 gallon?) drop tanks to include on a Hasegawa kit? As I understand it, Hasegawa's tanks are too small? Hobbycraft? Monogram? Another plane that used the same type tanks like the A-6, A-7, etc? I can't remember where I saw this discussion. Thanks as always. 

S/F,

Masterguns

Hi Gunny,

Three different sizes of fuel tanks could be fitted to Skyhawks: 150, 300 and 400 gallon varieties. As far as I know, all 1:48 scale kits supply only the 300 gallon Aero-1D tanks. But Phase Hangar Resin offer the 400 gallon tanks...

PjgLhDT.jpg

Edited by RichB63

Which were usually carried operationally not counting ferry flights? 300? I don't know which size the Hasegawa tanks are supposed to be without having that article handy. Thanks.

S/F

Masterguns

The 150 gal tanks, although common in the very early years, were seldom seen on Skyhawks from the early 1960’s onward.

300 gal tanks (like the ones Hasegawa provide) were most common and could be carried on both inboard wing and fuselage centerline stations. Tail configurations for these tanks varied - “long tail” finned and “bobtail” finless were both common. Some USMC Skyhawks flew with tail cones removed entirely.

The 400 gal tank could only be carried on the fuselage centerline station. It was commonly used from the Vietnam War years onward and was configured with or without a “finless” tail cone, and almost always as the sole external fuel tank, freeing up the wing stations for ordnance use.

Edit...see later post by efd327, which points out that 150s reappeared years later on Skyhawk "Aggressors"

Edited by RichB63
32 minutes ago, RichB63 said:

The 150 gal tanks, although common in the very early years, were seldom seen on Skyhawks from the early 1960’s onward.

300 gal tanks (like the ones Hasegawa provide) were most common and could be carried on both inboard wing and fuselage centerline stations. Tail configurations for these tanks varied - “long tail” finned and “bobtail” finless were both common. Some USMC Skyhawks flew with tail cones removed entirely.

The 400 gal tank could only be carried on the fuselage centerline station. It was commonly used from the Vietnam War years onward and was configured with or without a “finless” tail cone, and almost always as the sole external fuel tank, freeing up the wing stations for ordnance use.

thank you!!!!

S/F

Masterguns

Some illustrative examples...

A4D-1 with 150g tanks, a common arrangement in the early years of deployment, but seldom used from the Vietnam War era onward...

TwxfsU8.jpg

A-4C with long tail, finned 300g tanks, perhaps the definitive Skyhawk look...

nrRJjVY.jpg

A-4C with 300g bobtail tanks, another common configuration, at least through the mid 1970s...

BOu26Ls.jpg

Another Charlie model with 300g tanks, tail cones removed...

kEZFYDc.jpg

A-4F with 400g tank, its tail cone removed...

MxGxn1R.jpg

Edit...see later post by efd327, which points out that 150s reappeared years later on Skyhawk "Aggressors"

Edited by RichB63
37 minutes ago, efd327 said:

Aggressor TA-4s used the 150 gallon tank on the centerline station on a regular basis.  There are quit a few photos out there with TA-4s carrying them.

Great info, thanks for sharing. Earlier posts edited.

Edited by RichB63

Thank ya’ll much, for the outstanding & timely intel, gents! This helps me out a tremendously! Feel free to add anything else with regard to the config of these tanks. I think I’m tracking now. I just can’t tell sometimes with these grainy b/w photos of shore based Marine Corps Skyhawks while in service in the Vietnam War. 

S/F

Masterguns 

Excellent explanation! Saved all the photos with captions. I'm sitting a foot away from a stack of my Skyhawk kits, Monogram A-4F, OA-4M, ESCI A-4E and Hasegawa A-4M. And a parts box with leftover Monogram, Hasegawa and Hobbycraft sprues. Now if only someone would do  affordable (and easily obtainable) A-4B and A-4C.

1 hour ago, sierrascale said:

Excellent explanation! Saved all the photos with captions. I'm sitting a foot away from a stack of my Skyhawk kits, Monogram A-4F, OA-4M, ESCI A-4E and Hasegawa A-4M. And a parts box with leftover Monogram, Hasegawa and Hobbycraft sprues. Now if only someone would do  affordable (and easily obtainable) A-4B and A-4C.

I definitely agree about the A-4B/C need. The Hasegawa kits are extremely hard to find and very expensive when you do. With the two new Bullseye decal sheets that just came out for the A-4C, we need some more kits!

1 hour ago, Brenhen said:

I definitely agree about the A-4B/C need. The Hasegawa kits are extremely hard to find and very expensive when you do. With the two new Bullseye decal sheets that just came out for the A-4C, we need some more kits!

Hasegawa rereleased their C model about two years ago. I picked up one for the stash; I wished I had bought a dozen. 

Edited by okthree
Spelling

The Hasegawa Mikes are still plentiful & less costly. The E/F aren’t too difficult to pick at a reasonable cost considering. I just picked up two Charlie’s for less than $75. Now the Bravo? We all know what those are going for & I personally think it’s ridiculous for a builders kit.

That’s the beauty of our capitalistic society in the USA, however, but still very frustrating to say the least. I have resin conversions for the A & B that weren’t expensive at all, but I don’t like the surgery involved. You gotta do what you gotta do I reckon. 

Do y’all think grafting a Hobbycraft B nose to a Heasegawa kit? Has anyone tried this? Thanks. 

S/F

Masterguns

On 4/14/2021 at 5:13 PM, Gunny said:

Thank ya’ll much, for the outstanding & timely intel, gents! This helps me out a tremendously! Feel free to add anything else with regard to the config of these tanks. I think I’m tracking now. I just can’t tell sometimes with these grainy b/w photos of shore based Marine Corps Skyhawks while in service in the Vietnam War. 

Since you mentioned you're interested in Marine A-4s used in Vietnam, here are my observations based on looking at many pics of all their C/E squadrons in the war (VMA-121, 211, 214, 223, 224, 225, & 311). I'm talking about combat loads, when they had tanks with ordnance hung at the same time. Yes, I know there are exceptions to these, again specific to USMC A-4C/Es in Vietnam:

As Rich and others mentioned, 300gal either on centerline or wings, with centerline tank most common (on both their C and Es). When on the centerline, either bobbed or no tail cone. No tail cone seemed to be most common, although either no tail cone and bobbed examples seemed to be more likely with the earlier period. Wing tanks were less common, but I've seen examples of all three rear configs - bobbed, no tail fins, and full tail/fins. With wing tanks each tank had the same config on each wing, not mixed/matched rears. If doing the finned tanks, make sure the fins are only arranged in the flat orientation. (Also there are rarer examples of no tanks carried at all)

Edited by ziggyfoos
C/E's only, not talking about the USMC TA-4s

@ Gunny - there are more differences with the A-4B/C from the later Skyhawks than just the nose.  So I guess the answer is "it all depends how accurate do you want it and how far are you willing to go to make it accurate?"

Other than just the nose, the other visual difference is the intakes.  The A-4E and later Skyhawks have a splitter plate that results in a small gap between the intake and fuselage.  The intakes on the earlier Skyhawks had a simpler arrangement without the splitter plate and the fuselage to the intake being a continuous surface.  

The Hobbycraft A-4 has recessed panel lines, but when put side-by-side with the Hasegawa parts they look "different".

Another approach might be to obtain a Hobbycraft A-4B/C kit and dress it up with Hasegawa A-4 parts to your satisfaction.

(In case you're wondering, I did TRY to mate the Hobbycraft A-4C forward fuselage with the Hasegawa A-4 rear fuselage.  I made the cut right where the fuselage "breaks" for engine maintenance.  Let's just say "there is a reason why I never posted any pictures".☠️)

Thank you. I’m pretty familiar with the airframe differences. I was hoping that I could just get the Hobbycrap -B nose to fit a Hasegawa -C. I’ve got plenty of the rest of the Hasegawa 1/48 Skyhawk family but I just didn’t see the writing on the wall & foresee the -B being the hen’s tooth these days. I only bought one -B when there were plenty to be had. In any case I just bought some conversion sets from CAT4 in the Ukraine. I’ll be able to make an -A & -B with a few other items that can back date one’s-C. I still want the kit, though. 

Semper Fi, 

Masterguns 

On 4/15/2021 at 9:43 PM, Gunny said:

Do y’all think grafting a Hobbycraft B nose to a Heasegawa kit? Has anyone tried this? Thanks.

I thought about grafting it as well but it will require a lot of sanding.   I see resin noses on ebay but intakes are harder to find.   I'm toying about the idea of vacuforming it but it will still require filling, sanding and scribing.   

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

12 minutes ago, crackerjazz said:

I thought about grafting it as well but it will require a lot of sanding.   I see resin noses on ebay but intakes are harder to find.   I'm toying about the idea of vacuforming it but it will still require filling, sanding and scribing.   

img%5D

img%5D

img%5D

Thanks for that illustration. Now I realize the issue that would cause. I’ll just stick with the resin conversions from CAT4 & I didn’t mention I have a Steelbeach resin conversion to -B & a -C with the early intakes that I just dug up out of a storage bin for my accessories. I haven’t checked in a while the availability of those. Probably hit or miss & costly if I had to guess. But, having the actual Hasegawa -B Kit is more acceptable to my modeling skills. Resin conversions have not always gone as I would have liked. Especially since this hobby has been an infrequent luxury since I entered the Marine Corps FMF all those years ago. Not quite like riding a bike for me....hahaha. Thanks to all who keep helping me!

Semper Fi,

Masterguns 

Wow.  If you still have one of those Steel Beach A-4B conversions, I think that's the way to go Masterguns.  I don't they're being produced anymore and I think they were made to fit the Hasegawa A-4C kit anyway.  I thought you were trying to go from A-4E back to A-4B/C.  A-4B to A-4C is a much less of a challenge.  The biggest challenge there would be getting a Hasegawa A-4C/L and you already know how that song goes...

42 minutes ago, John B said:

Wow.  If you still have one of those Steel Beach A-4B conversions, I think that's the way to go Masterguns.  I don't they're being produced anymore and I think they were made to fit the Hasegawa A-4C kit anyway.  I thought you were trying to go from A-4E back to A-4B/C.  A-4B to A-4C is a much less of a challenge.  The biggest challenge there would be getting a Hasegawa A-4C/L and you already know how that song goes...

Just now, Gunny said:
42 minutes ago, John B said:

Expand  

I only have one of of those SB conversions & the intakes with the early cockpit IP is a nice feature. But I think you can use that with the E/F because you do get the early intake conversions. I’ll have to look at it again because Darren produced that set shortly after the -B went “OOP” if I’m not mistaken. Either way I wager that it’ll still work with the E/F because those were still in production at that time. Are they still because I see them in web stores & eBay & only Lord knows how many are prolly still sitting on shelves in private collections & LHS. ANYWAY, I’ll get a -B built before this summer turns to fall. thanks m just afraid of screwing up these resin conversions that take a serious recon to find. 

S/F 

Materguns