Phantom Newbie - Best 1/48 Kit for Lakenheath F-4D?

Hello All!

Could any of you Phantom Phanatics help me figure out which 1/48 kit would be best for building an accurate F-4D from RAF Lakenheath?

I will be using Xtradecals markings for F-4D-29-MC Serial 66-7502, circa 1974-1977. Photo below for reference.

I'm assuming the decision will come down to either the Academy or Zoukei-Mura 1/48 F-4D kits, but I know almost nothing about F-4s, so I would appreciate the advice!

Thanks in advance!

51116162038_aa6dc23bba_b.jpg

Four options, all pretty decent, in order of release date and (not surprisingly) price:

• Monogram F-4C/D

• Hasegawa F-4C/D

• Academy F-4D

• Zoukei Mura F-4D

My choice would be the newest (and most expensive) of the lot, ZM.

Edited by RichB63

Arguably, the Monogram and Hasegawa kits, both released about 40 years ago, capture best the subtle curves and lines of the Phantom airframe.

But the more recent Academy and ZM offerings benefit from modern tooling advances: recessed panel lines, fasteners and, in general, more refined detailing.

Your budget and other personal preferences will dictate the choice but, suffice to say, a good looking “Toom” can certainly be had from any of the above kits.

Edited by RichB63
14 hours ago, latormentabritanica said:

Could any of you Phantom Phanatics help me figure out which 1/48 kit would be best for building an accurate F-4D from RAF Lakenheath?

These are always very open ended questions as we don't know you level of modelling and opinions will be varied. But all the kits will give you a decent level of detail and accuracy. As @echolmberg stated about the Monogram C/D, still stands up well but with raised panel lines and reasonably priced. Monogram/Hasegawa lack the intake trunks and engine compressor front detail as well. All four mentioned in @RichB63 list, if built up side by side on a table in front of you, I doubt you could tell a difference in a 30 second glance.

Good luck in choosing.

20 hours ago, RichB63 said:

Four options, all pretty decent, in order of release date and (not surprisingly) price:

• Monogram F-4C/D

• Hasegawa F-4C/D

• Academy F-4D

• Zoukei Mura F-4D

My choice would be the newest (and most expensive) of the lot, ZM.

He is right, all 4 are good. Easiest is Hasegawa, hate the canopy on the Monogram, Academy builds real nice,  cant afford ZM

2 hours ago, phantom said:

He is right, all 4 are good. Easiest is Hasegawa, hate the canopy on the Monogram, Academy builds real nice,  cant afford ZM

But  latormentabritanica wanted the kit that is "best for building an accurate F-4D", and that is Zoukei Mura. 

IMHO (of course) the Academy kit does not build up particularly well, especially the non-seamless intakes, and the ZM kit is only around $15-20 more for a heck of alot of more detail, accuracy, and fit.

NOTE: Some have put down the ZM kit as not being accurate and/or worthwhile because of rear fuselage contour "issues", but many, like me, still consider the ZM to be the best.

Gene K

It takes some aftermarket and elbow grease to bring  the Academy kit up to close to the same level of accuracy as the Z-M kit. That brings the cost up to close to or even over that of the Z-M kit. I'd go with the Z-M kit and invest in Hypersonic's aft fuselage correction if that area bugs you. Or, you can sit around for a couple of years and see if Tamiya releases a C/D....

Ben

16 hours ago, GeneK said:

But  latormentabritanica wanted the kit that is "best for building an accurate F-4D", and that is Zoukei Mura. 

IMHO (of course) the Academy kit does not build up particularly well, especially the non-seamless intakes, and the ZM kit is only around $15-20 more for a heck of alot of more detail, accuracy, and fit.

NOTE: Some have put down the ZM kit as not being accurate and/or worthwhile because of rear fuselage contour "issues", but many, like me, still consider the ZM to be the best.

Gene K

Thanks for answering my question! I was leaning toward the ZM kit, so I might pull the trigger and get it. I took a look around and read a bunch on the ZM shape issue, but it looks inconsequential considering nobody coming to my house will notice but me.

On 4/15/2021 at 2:16 PM, Craig Baldwin said:

These are always very open ended questions as we don't know you level of modelling and opinions will be varied. But all the kits will give you a decent level of detail and accuracy. As @echolmberg stated about the Monogram C/D, still stands up well but with raised panel lines and reasonably priced. Monogram/Hasegawa lack the intake trunks and engine compressor front detail as well. All four mentioned in @RichB63 list, if built up side by side on a table in front of you, I doubt you could tell a difference in a 30 second glance.

Good luck in choosing.

24 years of experience, so I can build almost anything.

17 minutes ago, latormentabritanica said:

Thanks for answering my question! I was leaning toward the ZM kit, so I might pull the trigger and get it. I took a look around and read a bunch on the ZM shape issue, but it looks inconsequential considering nobody coming to my house will notice but me.

The ZM kit with the superb  Hypersonic rear fuselage correction will give you the most accurate F-4D currently available.

I still like the old Esci kit. Engraved lines, fits  reasonably well, not bad for a C or early D...and can generally found cheap.  Needs some help in the cockpit though. I’ve got a pile of those along with the Monogram. So many phantoms to do, I can’t afford an ZM/Academy kit for every scheme I have planned. 

This is the Hasegawa kit from 1988.   I lowered the flaps and opened the 'chute door but other than that, pretty much stock with MM paints and kit decals.  

I remember the only niggling bit was the joint between the bottom wing to the intake trunk.  There is no engine detail down the intakes but there are seamless intakes available through aftermarket as well as a ton of exhausts, cockpit parts and seats to make it really pop.  None of which were available in the pre-interwebz days.  

The "D" kit does suffer from raised panel details.   

148 F4D 01.jpg

148 F4D 02.jpg

148 F4D 03.jpg