Hobby 2000 1:72 F-111F and F-111D/F

I noticed that Hobby 2000 have reissued the venerable Hasegawa F-111D/F kit in two new flavours.

72044 General Dynamics F-111D/F Aardvark

72038 General-Dynamics F-111F Operation " Desert Storm "

I wonder what this will do to the second hand prices of the Hasegawa originals...

Excellent news! Even though I already have a few Hasegawa F-111s, It'll be nice to have some good quality decals that aren't over two decades old. Also theres been quite a bit of aftermarket released for these kits recently.

7 hours ago, Paul Boyer said:

Wish they would do the F-111A in Vietnam service. I think Hasegawa issued that version only once at the beginning of the series. I need one now.

If you have a spare F-111C/G as it comes with two types of bottom fuselages parts, take the sprue D and use those parts in place of the fuselage parts contained inside the F-111E

Luigi

Edited by Mizar

Unfortunately, at least for me, the F-111D is offered in Gunship Gray only, the 2nd decals version is F-111F in usual four-tone camo. So if I don't want to have two F-111F (yes, I bought both offered kits)  I am forced to have "D" in gray camo which is not so attractive. I hope somebody will release decal sheet.

6 hours ago, Mizar said:

If you have a spare F-111C/G as it comes with two types of bottom fuselages parts, take the sprue D and use those parts in place of the fuselage parts contained inside the F-111E

Luigi

I bough one of each too and the CosmiC D in grey was rather welcome. I have a Superscale sheet with an F-111D in SEA scheme already and Im pretty sure the original boxing of the kit had decals for an SEA camo D too.

Im not quite sure what you are complaining about with the decals though. I mean all the F-111s wore SEA most of their lives and then went to grey over all in the later years, so you are always forced to either have SEA camo birds or one SEA and one grey. Or both boring grey.

I did not complain about their camouflage, Jan_Cz did 😛

Caracal released A-E and EF decals, I don't know if they have all the stencils as I still have to order them, I do have various SS decal sets but most important I have four stencils sets plus a set Aussie Decal (?) for a complete F-111C/G, I gave up on the camouflage war due decal companies going always for the wrong scale, my builds are Ace Combat centered so outside some plain and gray ones I can vary with whatever camouflage theme I want and keep the THAT GUY crowd out as I only respect weight and clearance limits and mission specif weaponry & pods configuration, wild cards are only for experimental aircrafts and planes that never were such the F-20, CF-105 a TSR2 and few others

Luigi

13 hours ago, Jan_CZ said:

Unfortunately, at least for me, the F-111D is offered in Gunship Gray only, the 2nd decals version is F-111F in usual four-tone camo. ... I am forced to have "D" in gray camo which is not so attractive. I hope somebody will release decal sheet.

Hi Jan,

Where did you see the decal options? I can't find any specific reference to the schemes provided in this or the Desert Storm boxings.

As Luigi mentioned, Caracal have offered sheets for -A, -E and EF-111s in the recent past, so with any luck they'll do a sheet for F-111Ds as well.

10 hours ago, Mizar said:

I did not complain about their camouflage, Jan_Cz did 😛

Caracal released A-E and EF decals, I don't know if they have all the stencils as I still have to order them, I do have various SS decal sets but most important I have four stencils sets plus a set Aussie Decal (?) for a complete F-111C/G, I gave up on the camouflage war due decal companies going always for the wrong scale, my builds are Ace Combat centered so outside some plain and gray ones I can vary with whatever camouflage theme I want and keep the THAT GUY crowd out as I only respect weight and clearance limits and mission specif weaponry & pods configuration, wild cards are only for experimental aircrafts and planes that never were such the F-20, CF-105 a TSR2 and few others

Luigi

Sorry Mizar. I quoted the wrong post ))

On 4/22/2021 at 7:19 AM, AndrewS said:

Hi Jan,

Where did you see the decal options? I can't find any specific reference to the schemes provided in this or the Desert Storm boxings.

As Luigi mentioned, Caracal have offered sheets for -A, -E and EF-111s in the recent past, so with any luck they'll do a sheet for F-111Ds as well.

The markings are placed on the side of the box. Decals are printed by Cartograph and the paint mask for canopy and wheels is included.

20210423_191706.jpg

20210423_191659.jpg

20210423_191544.jpg

20210423_191536.jpg

20210423_191358.jpg

Edited by Jan_CZ

I just checked this out on the Scalemates website and noticed that the Eldorado Canyon markings are for 70-2386, which just happened to be the jet with my name on it that night 😃. I know the WSO who flew it and he confirmed the next morning that it was 'my' jet. Unfortunately, it was an air spare and didn't fly the whole mission, turning back after the first air refueling near Land's End (with a runaway INS showing 600 knots of wind 🙄).

BTW, my book on the raid is nearing completion--hoping to get it sent off the the Pentagon within the month for the security review. Not sure how long that will take as they seem to be working from home--they for sure aren't answering the phone!

Here's a picture of 72-1448 taken during a low level in Turkey. Sorry it's a bit soft, but I was shooting cross cockpit through plexiglass--best I could do under the circumstances.

850322_f111f_72-1448_ln-5.jpg

Edited by mrvark
On 4/20/2021 at 11:18 PM, Paul Boyer said:

Wish they would do the F-111A in Vietnam service. I think Hasegawa issued that version only once at the beginning of the series. I need one now.

Oh yes!! I know that airframe a little bit. (well a 45 minute class)

gary