Suggestions for aftermarket parts for 1/48 Tamiya F-14A?

Hi all,

Even though its out of my usual 1/72 scale, I found a Tamiya 1/48 F-14 for a price that was too good to pass up.  I'm look for suggestions for the best aftermarket upgrade parts for this kit.  I'm looking for your suggestions on the best quality or newest tooling/best detail.

I'm looking at the new 3D cockpit decals (never used them before, only PE parts) but what's the difference between Quinta & Eduard Look/Space?  Anyone who has actually seen both can make a recommendation between the two?

https://quinta-studio.com/en/product/201/

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/f-14a-space-1-48.html?cur=2

I'm also interested in the Eduard Big Ed for the rest of the photo-etched (I realize the colour PE cockpit controls are wasted as the Quinta looks so much better)

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/f-14a-1-48-1-10.html?cur=2&listtype=search&searchparam=f-14A 1%2F48

(who's got the best canopy lugs?)

What about seats, Eduard seems newer (I've never used their resin), I've always used Aires (which sculpt is better?) - the Eduard comes with data stenciling decals (which I love), but which is the best sculpt?  Sculpted belts in or Eduard no belts but using the 3D printed decals?

https://www.eduard.com/eduard/f-14a-ejection-seat-1-48-1.html?cur=2

https://www.e-aires.cz/en/product/martin-baker-mk-gru-7a-seats-f-14a-b-version/0-1166/

or even QuickBoost (are they as good as Aires?)

https://www.e-aires.cz/en/product/f-14a-b-tomcat-ejection-seats-with-safety-belts/0-2934/

I love Aires Wheel Bays, but the only F-14A they have is for Academy, will they work with Tamiya?

https://www.e-aires.cz/en/product/f-14a-d-tomcat-wheel-bay/0-1886/

Lastly the tail nozzles - who's got the better detail/sculpt, KA Models 3D printed stuff or Aires resin?  The KA would be expensive because they only come both open and both close but their detail is exquisite (I have their 1/72 scale and can only guess at how amazing they'd be at 1/48) but the Aires come with one open and one closed in the same box - are they that different to be worth twice the price?

http://ka-models.co.kr/?product=148-f-14a-pw-exhaust-nozzle-set-closed-for-tamiyahasegawa

https://www.e-aires.cz/en/product/f-14a-tomcat-exhaust-nozzles-varied/0-3402/

Oh yeah, the Alpha probe?

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/master-am-48-007-f-14-alfa-probe-and-angle-attack-probe--114256

Anything else I've missed?  I do love the VF-84 so I'm going to use the kit decals (unless you're telling me they are missing things or require extra data stenciling).  This is my favourite plane and will be my ultimate kit since its so big.  This was my last 1/72 F-14 GWH kit that I loved working on (I'm sure this will be a much better kit)

As always I really appreciate all the help I've been given here on these forums.  TIA.

Edited by wm_cheng

Building this kit now. So far I plan on zero aftermarket.  The tamiya kit so far is amazing. I could see better main landing gear wheels, maybe ejection seats. But no, going out of the box on mine.

My recommendations : The Quinta Studio stuff is fantastic! Skip the Big Ed set unless you must have it. For the seats, you didn't mention if you will be crewing yours. Could be a factor in the decision. I would get some resin wheels and exhaust maybe...look into Reskit, you will not be disappointed.

QuickBoost is Aires. You didn't mention weapons also, you might need some...maybe? Decals? You could go hog wild with aftermarket for this kit.

Steel Beach also made stuff for this kit, sadly not being produced anymore... IIRC.

Also don't forget Master for the alpha probe.

This thread comes up every month or so. You’ll get a lot of info from them. 

The only seats are Phase Hangar or Eduard Brassin. None of the others fits the kit tub. Aires would require cutting into the seat cushions to get to fit. 

Quinta beats Eduard/First Look in every way. 

Any of the probes marked for Tamiya work. I like WANDD. 

KA nozzles are worth it and beat Aires. And also come open/closed in the same box if you want. I’ve never had a broken set from them. And I’ve never had an Aires set that wasn’t broken. I’d buy ResKit over Aires. Plus Aires tubes don’t fit in the Tamiya kit without a LOT of work.  

wheels are Halberd, Eduard or DEF. None of the others match their work.  

Frankly, this kit doesn't need aftermarket at all!

If you go there it's not by need but by desire 🙂

OOB just completed F-14A VF-84 inflight:

My only modification was the pilot pose and especially their heads that are looking down in the pit. Decals are OOB as well

Splendid model, lots of contradictions in the possible configurations and it is really not designed to be built wheels up. The rest is a pleasure to model

SbS_F14_134_Tamiya_final.png

SbS_F14_135_Tamiya_final.png

Edited by Red Dog
sp
2 hours ago, Red Dog said:

Frankly, this kit doesn't need aftermarket at all!

If you go there it's not by need but by desire 🙂

OOB just completed F-14A VF-84 inflight:

My only modification was the pilot pose and especially their heads that are looking down in the pit. Decals are OOB as well

Splendid model, lots of contradictions in the possible configurations and it is really not designed to be built wheels up. The rest is a pleasure to model

SbS_F14_134_Tamiya_final.png

SbS_F14_135_Tamiya_final.png

Nice one Red Dog 

How was the fit of the weel well covers? Also planning mine inflight (as with all my builds) but haven't sorted this question wrt the weel well yet? 

51 minutes ago, Niels said:

How was the fit of the weel well covers? Also planning mine inflight (as with all my builds) but haven't sorted this question wrt the weel well yet? 

To be honest, that's the flaw from this kit.

The fit is horrible and that's the only spot where you'll need putty if you address this with a Tamiya state of mind (I.E. thinking it will fit perfectly)

There is zero support for the nose gear door and the fitting door closed is not designed so you will need to plan supporting rods or notches before gluing the door, so careful planning from the modeler will be required. I'd assemble all the NLG doors together and then place supports on the side of the nose gear bay, trim to fit and place it if I had to redo it.

The main gear doors are no better. the outer surface of the  smaller door alongside the intake is not even smooth. There are 2 huge gaps in there (one wonder why) that will need to be filled. The aft door is ok, the glove door is far from a perfect Tamiya like fit

It's visible here on the left side which is the Tamiya build

sbs_f14_035_right_intakes.png

So if you built this one gear up, don't make the same mistake as me and don't overestimate the quality of that step. It's far from Tamiya usual attention to detail unfortunately

but once again, the rest of the kit is wonderful, and considering most of the modelers usually don't built in flights, the above issues do not have a huge effect overall.

2 hours ago, Gambler said:

That looks superb Red Dog!

To echo Gambler's comment... that is a superb!:thumbsup:

Thank you gents

Edited by Red Dog

Thanks so much everyone,

@phantom I was wondering why my search didn't turn up many build threads here in the Jet Modeling forum (sorry I originally just have a link saved to my browser directly here - I didn't know about the Group Builds threads until you mentioned it and I had to back up to the forum top page to find it).  I will scour through those with great interest!

@markiii I really want to see this Quinta stuff for myself in person (thanks for the recommendation over Eduard - that was exactly what I was looking for).  I'm definitely not crewing this one (made the mistake on my last 1/72 and all the effort I put into the cockpit is totally covered up).  I do consider the office the jewel of any model!  Is there a significant bulge to the tires?  I usually just sand a small flat spot on kit tires (I assume Tamiya tires should be good) but I guess this works on 1/72 more so than 1/48?  I was just going with kit supplied weapons & decals.

@Brian P: Fightertown Decals Sorry my search didn't turn up any threads specific to these pieces (my Google-Fu must be weak).  Good to know that only 2 seats fit, I've never heard of Phase Hanger but will look into them.  Good to know Quinta stuff is better.  I couldn't find a close/open nozzle from KA-Models - I looked again (direct from their website) and can only find a set both open or both closed - ideally I want one open and one closed but don't want to buy 4 nozzles just to get that.  Good to know that they are in fact better than resin.  Don't know Halberd or DEF - I will look into those.

@Red Dog That is absolutely beautiful!!!  Congrats.  What do you mean contradictions in configurations?  Thanks for the heads up about the gear doors, but I'll be building this one with the gears down and canopy up.  

Any ideas about whether the Aires wheel wells made for Academy will fit the Tamiya kit?

With all these different parts (I usually order direct from the manufacturers) is there a good place that carries the bulk of these where I could lump into as few shipments as possible (shipping to Canada?).

14 hours ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

The only seats are Phase Hangar or Eduard Brassin. None of the others fits the kit tub. Aires would require cutting into the seat cushions to get to fit. 

What about Wolfpack? They're advertised as being for the Tamiya kit.

I've also got a couple of True Details GRU-7s. I just cut one of the block and tried it: seems to fit the tub just fine.

Edited by seawinder
9 hours ago, Red Dog said:

To be honest, that's the flaw from this kit.

The fit is horrible and that's the only spot where you'll need putty if you address this with a Tamiya state of mind (I.E. thinking it will fit perfectly)

There is zero support for the nose gear door and the fitting door closed is not designed so you will need to plan supporting rods or notches before gluing the door, so careful planning from the modeler will be required. I'd assemble all the NLG doors together and then place supports on the side of the nose gear bay, trim to fit and place it if I had to redo it.

The main gear doors are no better. the outer surface of the  smaller door alongside the intake is not even smooth. There are 2 huge gaps in there (one wonder why) that will need to be filled. The aft door is ok, the glove door is far from a perfect Tamiya like fit

It's visible here on the left side which is the Tamiya build

So if you built this one gear up, don't make the same mistake as me and don't overestimate the quality of that step. It's far from Tamiya usual attention to detail unfortunately

but once again, the rest of the kit is wonderful, and considering most of the modelers usually don't built in flights, the above issues do not have a huge effect overall.

Thank you gents

Thanks Red Dog! Surprising they goofed up on this? The F-16C has a flawless fit, save maybe a little light sanding so this surprise me? But atleast you have taken the stress off my back - much appreciated, thanks 😄

I just did a gear up Tamiya Tomcat and thought the doors fit great. You have to brace the front doors somehow but I did front and aft ledges. The rear doors were a perfect fit, for the cove door you have to sand down the inner frame a bit. The small door isn’t made to close and I chose to cut out a piece of styrene based in the kit part shape. 

Pictures posted on the Fightertown FB page under VF-24 vs TOPGUN. Can’t link the page here and the photos won’t load (too big) 

5560F6DD-F8BC-4FB3-A682-01E710F3C384.jpeg

Edited by Brian P: Fightertown Decals

I am currently building the "A" with the Eduard Big Sin stuff.  The only reason I am using it, is because I scored the sets off Ebay for a deal.  It's honestly not worth the money for the small improvement.  

With that being said the cockpit looks great and fits very well. 

I'll build by "D" OOB other than maybe decals.  

Brent's F-14 Build

I'm thinking I need the canopy rails/lugs and the canopy frames with the pulls and mirrors - none of that is represented in the Tamiya model.  I need the ladder (the Tamiya doesn't even have the holes - a bit embarassing for 1/48!) forward gear door punch through grills and the afterburner interior.  Already that's more than the price of buying them separately.  Where did you get this deal off eBay - any more I can buy?

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the mold details/rivets on the Tamiya at 1/48 - I thought it would be insanely detailed.  I'm sure the fit and finish is where they excel at but I have to say I was very surprised how detailed my G.W.H. 1/72 F-14A was - its got sharper landing gear details than the 1/48 from Tamiya!  Its got more rivets too!!!  I know its probably out of scale at 1/72, but the level of detail was just so good - I thought I would be pleasantly surprised when I moved up to 1/48th - but I was very underwhelmed (its much more shallow - probably more in scale).  I'd say even my Fine Molds 1/72 F-14 has sharper and more details than the Tamiya 1/48 F-14A.