A&A Models 1/144 C-141 coming in May

On 4/24/2021 at 9:05 AM, Paul Boyer said:

Looks OK 'cept the national insignias are out of proportion. 😐

I know zero about designing and printing decals.  But of all the things to get wrong, the US national insignia?  And it happens ALL THE TIME.  It is one of the most recognizable designs of the last seventy years, yet it gets mis-proportioned (is that even a word?) over and over by decals manufacturers.  Or the colors are off.    

4 hours ago, AD-4N said:

I know zero about designing and printing decals.  But of all the things to get wrong, the US national insignia?  And it happens ALL THE TIME.  It is one of the most recognizable designs of the last seventy years, yet it gets mis-proportioned (is that even a word?) over and over by decals manufacturers.  Or the colors are off.    

And it sticks out like a sore thumb!

Please remember that the "printing" of most decals is done by companies that don't design the artwork that they are printing. Arguably, Cartograf is the best decal PRINTER in the modeling world today, but I've seen a few mistakes on their sheets - all because the artist of the original design (kit or aftermarket decal designer) miss-sized an item, or requested the wrong color on an item. 

• 4 weeks later...
13 hours ago, Grayhawk said:

I've seen some really badly painted national insignia on 1 to 1 US aircraft in front line service (not gate guardians which are separate case all together). 

😀

Of that, I do not doubt.  In fact, AOA decals makes a sheet for the A-6s from the movie, Flight of the Intruder, which faithfully reproduces the misshaped national insignia the art designers slapped on the high vis bombers depicted during Vietnam.  E models masquerading as A models.

But for me, I am not going to spend five weeks eliminating seams, polishing canopies, detailing cockpits and using .3mm wire on landing gear only to apply distorted national insignia, regardless of how accurate.  But that is just me.

The only exception I can think of that I might model is a captured bird.  For example:  a Nazi jet captured by US forces with hastily applied national insignia.

But again, that is just my feelings.  One of the joys of this hobby is you can model anyway you desire.  In fact, I plan at some point to adapt my Caracal Skyraider decals to fit a Skyshark.