Michael Collins has died

When I read this earlier on today I was genuinely ... sad.

My mental image of these Apollo astronauts is of their mission PR pix. 50 years could NOT have gone by already ...

There aren't too many of these explorers remaining ... and ... they don't build 'em like that any more. 

Thanx CaptKirk!

Pete

One of the things I found remarkable about him was the matter of fact way that he dealt with situations that would completely overwhelm a normal person. Of course he was aware that as an astronaut he was frequently sitting on a large bomb that had recently killed a number of his colleagues and that countless minor failures could have sent him drifting off away from ever returning to earth; Yet he seemed to be able to compartmentalise the risk and just get on with doing the things he trained for in as near a flawless manner as possible. Others (journalists) worried about how lonely he might have been on the far side of the moon or how he might have been jealous of the opportunity to step on the moon's surface. He just made sure that the command module was always where it needed to be - which is I guess why NASA picked him in the first place.

As I say, remarkable guy.

Let's keeping the legacy for their legendary Apollo 11 Mission alive forever! 

Apollo 11 – v. l. n. r. Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, Buzz Aldrin

Left to right: Neil Armstrong, Michael Collins, Buzz Aldrin 

Source: wikipedia.org

May they rest in peace.

Edited by spaceman

I don't know how I missed this...but I am truly and deeply saddened.  Somehow, I continue to picture these amazing men to be the age they were at the time of their space flights...and can't conceive of them aging and becoming old.  I have Mike Collins' book, and remember him discussing things that you wouldn't expect an astronaut to be thinking, much less saying, such as desiring that things be referred to in 'agricultural terms', that is, plain English, rather the complex and often arcane nomenclature of the space program, and how much he hated pressure (i.e. 'space') suits.  

Not to repeat, but...RIP Michael Collins, and Godspeed.