Apollo 4 - Key differences?

I hope you guys may forgive me for what may be a few silly questions! I am more of a shuttle aficionado than Saturn V although I love them both dearly, my Saturn V knowledge is much more limited. 

Back in March, I picked up a Dragon 1/72 Saturn V for a fairly good price, although I told myself I would not begin in earnest until the Revell 1/72 shuttle was complete (it's getting there). So in the meanwhile, I started thinking about what S-V I wanted to represent. I've already done a Revell 1/144 as representative of Apollo 11, so my thoughts turned to either the first or last (that isn't Skylab) that flew, Apollo 4 or 17. I've settled on Apollo 4 after reading about the first all-up launch and I enjoy the idea of having a representative of the 'prototype'. 

Being fully aware of the various inaccuracies this kit has, my goal is to build it out of the box as much as possible - I don't want to go johnlove_mk_II levels of detail (though his projects are incredibly interesting to read with all the 3D printed parts). I do plan on replacing the kit engines with the RealSpaceModels 1/72 batted engines set, and I've toyed with cutting out the S-IC skirts and replacing them with shapeways parts from the areospace place but I might not bother with that. I might add some other surface detail pieces from shapeways but I'm trying not to fuss too much. I'm no rivet counter, no disrespect to those that are, I'm happy with a reasonable representation that passes my own sniff tests!

So for Apollo 4 specifics, I understand that the CSM is Block I, and there is the repainted S-IC section. The S-IC repaint would be easy, a brighter white covering what was the old stripe pattern contrasting with a very slightly darker off white for the surrounding sections - would this be visible or noticeable at 1/72 scale? Probably not but I think it's a fascinating detail to include so I plan to. For the Block I service module, my thought is using a similar diameter PVC pipe and building the detail with sheet styrene. I'd go with a shapeways part, but for some reason there are a dozen block IIs and no block I designs in any scale, so I'm on my own here I think. 

Is there anything else I am missing? Are any of the markings exceptionally different from Apollo 4 verses any others? The markings on SA-501 seem to be very similar to any other Saturn V (save for Apollo 6's white service module) but I figured I'd check with folks who knew better than I on these things. Thank you all!

Michael

John Duncan's ApolloSaturn may help you.

https://www.apollosaturn.com/Website-II/About-Us/About-Us

This is his About Us page with a Contact email, which may or may not work ... the site may not have been updated recently.

I gave his site a quick once-over and didn't see anything for the 500F, but he may have lots o' photos he hasn't published.

John is also a member on ARC, I think, ... I hope this'll help!

Pete

PS, I'm not sure why the link doesn't present as a link ... 

I had a look at John's site, but also did not come across anything specific as well. I did not think to contact him, so I may just do that. Thanks Pete!

Apollo 4 CM was a hybrid Block 1/2, SM was Block 1 and painted silver, S-IC/S-II interstage had 8 ullage motors. There were probably a bunch of unique telemetry antenna for the first Saturn V launch but I haven't found that level of detail.

Ah good to know, I probably would have completely missed the 8 motors.

I also found this video with some decent shots of the rocket during assembly as well, showing the S-IC before it lost its stripes. Also shows fiducial markers on the S-II which wouldn't be too hard to replicate. 

So I think I have a good starting point for some changes to make.

• S-IC black stripes painted 
  • 8 ullage motors
  • S-II fiducial markers (were these on all Saturn Vs or just early ones?)
  • Block I Service Module
  • RealSpaceModels 1/72 Batted F-1 engines
  • Add support structures to the inside of the fairing skirts

I'm debating on whether or not to smooth out the kit's own service module and then build the detail up with thin styrene sheets, or get a piece of 2" diameter PVC and do the detail on that. 

As far as extra details, I'm not too concerned with that - Mainly I wanted a companion to my 1/72 shuttle, and the size of the thing is impressive enough. Also if anyone was not aware, Horizon-models is having a pretty great sale on their 1/72 Redstone and Atlas kits, I picked up a combo Mercury-Redstone and Atlas to go along with the Saturn V. I guess I do 1/72 now after being in 1/144 for so long 😆