1/48 Trumpeter F-100F - Missing Cockpit Details?

Hello all!

I'm building Trumpeter's 1/48 F-100F, but have noticed three glaring errors in the cockpit that need fixing:

1) No throttles included

2) Front seat should have a split headrest and associated mechanism, but the kit only provides two rear seats

3) The canopy reinforcement spar is totally missing. Strangely, they molded the space for the spar to fit between the front seat and the rear console, but never made the actual spar.

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket correction sets for these issues? I found seats by Black Box, but they seem significantly undersized.

Really hoping to avoid scratchbuilding all this...

Thanks in advance!

The aftermarket has pretty much left the Trumpeter F-100s alone, probably because they are such a mess.

AMS had some correct F-100F seats, available through Sprue Brothers. They're usually out of stock, but the last couple of times I signed up for the "Notify me" feature for them, I got an email within a couple of weeks. Perhaps Sprue Bros. might be ordering them when somebody requests them? I think AMS proprietor Harold still hangs out on the Large Scale Planes forum, so you might be able to contact him directly there and order a set. The Black Box seats are something like 4 mm too short. All of the problem is in the seat back, so they can't be corrected and putting something under them to raise them up puts the seat cushion well above the consoles. Legend's seats look like they used the Black Box seats as their reference, because they are almost, but not quite, identical. Aires makes a seat for the D, but it isn't much better than the kit seat. The Aires resin cockpits don't correct any of the kit's inaccuracies and I don't think they ever did a cockpit for the F.

There are several options available to correct the nose (AMS, Renaissance) and the too-large wheels (Reskit, Royale Resin).

Ben

Thanks, that's a very useful and detailed answer.

Looking at things, I think I could modify the seats and the missing throttles wouldn't be visible with a closed canopy. But honestly, out of all the issues with the kit, the one I find irredeemable is the missing canopy spar. I can understand if a company gets the shape wrong (I can even overlook the intake shape, in this case), but to be not even bother to include a very visible part is really disappointing. That spar is visible whether the canopy is left open or closed, and it'll bug me to no end.

The 1/48 Aires F-100F cockpit set has everything that's missing, but I'm not sure I want to drop ~$45 and have to go through the hassle of sawing resin and sanding away cockpit walls.

At this point, I'm considering not building this kit after all...UGH.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/1/2021 at 11:43 AM, latormentabritanica said:

Hello all!

I'm building Trumpeter's 1/48 F-100F, but have noticed three glaring errors in the cockpit that need fixing:

1) No throttles included

2) Front seat should have a split headrest and associated mechanism, but the kit only provides two rear seats

3) The canopy reinforcement spar is totally missing. Strangely, they molded the space for the spar to fit between the front seat and the rear console, but never made the actual spar.

Does anyone know if there are aftermarket correction sets for these issues? I found seats by Black Box, but they seem significantly undersized.

Really hoping to avoid scratchbuilding all this...

Thanks in advance!

Hi

the 48ers on-line shop have the seats available:

https://the48ers.com/f-100f-ejection-seats.html

good luck

Posted (edited)

See also 1/48 F-100F Super Sabre corrected seamless air intake (with corrected duct) from XMM

https://xmold-modeling.com/products-page/scale1-48/148-f-100f-super-sabre-corrected-seamless-air-intake-with-corrected-duct-for-trumpeter-kit/

4.jpg

1-48-f-100f-1.jpg

1-48-f-100f-3.jpg

They're two Aires F-100F cockpit references, early & late:

- ref. 4558 - F-100F cockpit set - (late)

https://the48ers.com/f-100f-super-sabre-cockpit-set-late-version.html

4558.jpg

- ref. 4566 - F-100F cockpit set - (early version)

https://the48ers.com/f-100f-cockpit-set-early-version.html

image-file-3.jpg

V.P.

Edited by HomeBe