Do you paint parts black if they're already moulded in black?

Hi guys, this might be a silly question...  I have these bezels that are already moulded in black that I was planning to paint.  Do you normally paint parts black if they're already black?   Can the eyes distinguish bare black plastic vs painted ones?  

img%5D 

Hi crackerjazz

If the parts are hidden or very difficult to see, I might skip the painting. However, in most cases, I do prime/paint all of the parts even if they are already molded in the final color. I have found that if you skip the painting step, the part has a slightly different look and stands out from the other painted parts. It is usually a subtle difference, but I have found that the look of an unpainted/painted parts appear different even with the same clear overcoat. Coincidently, I am working on a kit right now that is molded in a nice, pure white but I am planning on giving it a gloss white overcoat so the overall look is consistent. 

Have fun modeling!

Mike

🍻 

Yes, I do. I am not sure how to describe it, but unpainted plastic, just looks like unpainted plastic.  However if it is painted well, with smooth, even paint, it looks so much better. 

Yes I usually prime all the parts for painting even if they are moulded in the correct colour.
I made a model of a fire chiefs car once that I just gloss coated because the plastic body was nice, but then I had to paint the wheels, so they didnt match the body and I ended up painting the whole thing... But the body did look good with just a gloss coat over the top.

Bare plastic always looks like what it is.

9 hours ago, Kurt H. said:

Yes, I do. I am not sure how to describe it, but unpainted plastic, just looks like unpainted plastic.  However if it is painted well, with smooth, even paint, it looks so much better. 

I don't disagree, but in this particular case aren't bezels sometimes plastic? Maybe you want to preserve the look.

Oops, too late for that now, spejic.  They're covered in Mr. Color now.  The guys had a point about bare plastic looking like plastic.  But you have a good point, too.  These bezels are actually for a 1939 BF-110 panel.  I wonder if plastics were already used on aircraft parts at that time.

• 2 months later...