Hobbycraft 1/72nd De Havilland Dash 8-300

Dutch suggested I ask here in this section of the forums since others may know. I also realize that the heading of the thread may be a bit confusing as I do know the kit itself is not a -300 but a -100. I have a line on some decals but there are for a -300 so I am guessing they will not fit so trying to figure out how to stretch the kit. I did a few Google searches but so far nothing other than some overall dimensions. I could work with that but not sure if the stretch was 2 plugs.

Would be grateful for any help.

Thanks very much

I assume you are talking about the 1/72 Hobbycraft kit?

Well firstly you need to add two plugs forward and aft of the wing, the first is 25.75mm ahead of the wing, make your cut on the panel line just behind the door. The rear plug is 21.78mm just forward of the rear door just before where the fuselage starts to sweep up.

Finally the wingtips need extending 10.58mm (each), cut along the tip cap panel line, the extension is sweeps with the leading edge.

13 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

I assume you are talking about the 1/72 Hobbycraft kit?

Well firstly you need to add two plugs forward and aft of the wing, the first is 25.75mm ahead of the wing, make your cut on the panel line just behind the door. The rear plug is 21.78mm just forward of the rear door just before where the fuselage starts to sweep up.

Finally the wingtips need extending 10.58mm (each), cut along the tip cap panel line, the extension is sweeps with the leading edge.

Thanks very much for the info, very much appreciated. I think your info will help a lot. Only just got one of the kits so too bad I can't get another to cut up. Will have to figure out how to splice in the plugs. I did not know about the wing change but that may not be important since the scheme I am looking at is mostly for the fuselage but I could look at it. When you say "sweeps with the leading edge" do you mean it is a simple plug?

Thanks again

14 hours ago, scotty100368 said:

What Trojan (Ray) said:

DHC-8-300_conversion.jpg

Wow thanks so much. I just went to Hawkeye's site and this is not even there. Do you know where it would be hiding? Figured there may be more stuff like this. Thanks again and it is much appreciated.

5 hours ago, Dutch said:

Hmm, Very useful info.  Does Hawkeye offer a conversion set?

Nope! Do it yourself Dutch 😄

I still need to figure how I will do mine, I do have a couple of kits to hack if need be but I have planes for them all so I will need to find a piece of pipe the correct diameter or use the string/stab/putty method.

Ray, Yes, I thought that if you can find some PVC pipe the correct diameter as the outer fuselage and perhaps, another one to slip inside to act as the reinforcing sleeve.  However, the PVC will most likely be a different thickness than the kit plastic, so it will have to be a custom job of how to reinforce the lap joint.  I wouldn't go with just a butt joint.  Don't you just love this hobby?  😎 

Edited by Dutch
17 hours ago, skyhawk174 said:

Wow thanks so much. I just went to Hawkeye's site and this is not even there. Do you know where it would be hiding? Figured there may be more stuff like this. Thanks again and it is much appreciated.

Chris, If you need black DHC-8-300 window decals, I believe that Airline Hobby Supply did a set.  Contact Russell Brown at airline-hobby-estore.com. K/r, Dutch

5 hours ago, Dutch said:

Ray, Yes, I thought that if you can find some PVC pipe the correct diameter as the outer fuselage and perhaps, another one to slip inside to act as the reinforcing sleeve.  However, the PVC will most likely be a different thickness than the kit plastic, so it will have to be a custom job of how to reinforce the lap joint.  I wouldn't go with just a butt joint.  Don't you just love this hobby?  😎 

Looks like Ray has helped and giving me the info to cut up the kit. I have been giving it some thought and though of doing the slab, cover, filler root but then I had a small brain storm. Since I work with 3D software pretty much every day I am going to look at designing a plug and get it 3D printed. I have both an FDM and resin but have not used the resin version yet. Lots of stuff printed on the FDM. Actually the printer is at my son's place but I have sent him several files for printing so he just loads up the macine and away you go. Still thinking how to do it. I may do it in halves so that everything lines up and I am not trying to align the nose to the plug and then to the fuselage. Will see once I take a close look at the kit. That's my plan anyway. The wing plugs will do the old school way with plasticard.

Chris, 

I plan on tracing my AHS window decals onto masking tape and using them as masks.

However, I am running into a similar problem with my 1/72 KC-130T-30 stretch.  I have the Italeri Herk kit with the old Airmodel stretch plugs. There are two plugs, one fore and one aft and split into port & starboard halves, so four pieces altogether.  I have had problems with old vacuform conversion where the plastic has become extremely brittle and snapped in all the wrong places.  Then, how to glue these up, reinforce the seam, and keep everything aligned on all three axis so there is no twist, or longitudinal or lateral warpage in the fusleage is beyond me at the moment.  I would think that one piece plugs with a small interior lip for gluing the fuselage sides to would be stronger and keep everything aligned better, but will leave it to your judgment and expertise with CAD and 3D printing.  Also, you can probably add the window holes to the CAD as well, n'est pas?  Unless of course you are just going to putty them over and use decals.  To quote Miracle Max and his wife:

"Have fun storming the castle!"

"Do you think it will work?"

"It'll take a miracle!"

K/r,

Dutch 😎

Edited by Dutch
47 minutes ago, Dutch said:

Chris, 

I plan on tracing my AHS window decals onto masking tape and using them as masks.

However, I am running into a similar problem with my 1/72 KC-130T-30 stretch.  I have the Italeri Herk kit with the old Airmodel stretch plugs. There are two plugs, one fore and one aft and split into port & starboard halves, so four pieces altogether.  I have had problems with old vacuform conversion where the plastic has become extremely brittle and snapped in all the wrong places.  Then, how to glue these up, reinforce the seam, and keep everything aligned on all three axis so there is no twist, or longitudinal or lateral warpage in the fusleage is beyond me at the moment.  I would think that one piece plugs with a small interior lip for gluing the fuselage sides to would be stronger and keep everything aligned better, but will leave it to your judgment and expertise with CAD and 3D printing.  Also, you can probably add the window holes to the CAD as well, n'est pas?  Unless of course you are just going to putty them over and use decals.  To quote Miracle Max and his wife:

"Have fun storming the castle!"

"Do you think it will work?"

"It'll take a miracle!"

K/r,

Dutch 😎

Thanks for the vote of confidence Dutch 😄. Yeah I am lazy so decals for windows work fine with me.

One nice thing about my cad program is that I can trace a scan so I will start with that. Cut the fuselage and then use a pencil to draw the profile. Scan that and then create my 3D model from that scan. Got to figure out how to add photos to this forum once again. I don't even have my avatar anymore as it went poof on an update years ago.

As for that C-130 stretch I also have that update and to be honest not to impressed with it. Maybe now with the Zvezda kit coming not necessary?

Yes, I saw the Zvezda C-130J-30 kit, so I would have to also buy the original Zvezda C-130H and just swap engines.  If I add IFR pods to both I can have a regular KC-130J and a KC-130T-30.  Now I just need decals for the latter; already have the former.  It all means more $$$$!  I am trying to reduce the stash, not add.

Edited by Dutch
On 5/11/2021 at 5:02 PM, Dutch said:

Yes, I saw the Zvezda C-130J-30 kit, so I would have to also buy the original Zvezda C-130H and just swap engines.  If I add IFR pods to both I can have a regular KC-130J and a KC-130T-30.  Now I just need decals for the latter; already have the former.  It all means more $$$$!  I am trying to reduce the stash, not add.

Reduce the stash LOL. You so funny Dutch. Ok sorry to laugh but I am trying to do the same thing. Pulled out several kits from my pile that is now on my get rid of stack. Trying to be more realistic but it is like getting rid of your children.
I don't have the Zvezda kit kit but still have my 2 x Italeri Blue Angles boxings plus an AC-130 from them too. Should get rid of those and just get the Zvezda one and be done. Not sure what you mean about swapping engines unless you mean the props, 4 vs 6 blades?

Chris, You are correct, of course.  I meant swap engines and props between the Zvezda kits to make a short C-130J and a C-130H-30.  Putting the IFRpods on would make them tankers of course.  😎 Dutch

On the C-130 front, I have the Zvezda E/H and plenty of Italeri kits and resin stretch conversions (2 used and 2 in the stash). I am not going to dump the Italeri kits, They build up OK and look like C-130s. Some tweaking can be done. I just remembered I have 3rd stretch set which was made by a friend from styrene card and wooden formers which I used on my in work RAAF C-130J-30 and worked quite well.

Chris, you are lucky to have the CAD skills and printer at hand, it won't be hard to make the plugs up. I have a couple of One Man Model 3D printed whole kits, and am looking forward to trying to assemble one soon.

3 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

On the C-130 front, I have the Zvezda E/H and plenty of Italeri kits and resin stretch conversions (2 used and 2 in the stash). I am not going to dump the Italeri kits, They build up OK and look like C-130s. Some tweaking can be done. I just remembered I have 3rd stretch set which was made by a friend from styrene card and wooden formers which I used on my in work RAAF C-130J-30 and worked quite well.

Chris, you are lucky to have the CAD skills and printer at hand, it won't be hard to make the plugs up. I have a couple of One Man Model 3D printed whole kits, and am looking forward to trying to assemble one soon.

Thanks Ray, we will see how it goes. Looking forward to at least trying it and actually make something that is useful in my hobby. I will take some pictures as I go along and see if I can write an article on how I did it.

Oh and maybe I should keep my Italeri C-130 kits. Bird in hand and all that.