Vf-142 F14B 1994 TPS or not?

Hi guys,

About to put paint to plastic. Building an F14B from 1994 with VF142. 

Decals are from the furball sheet and look superb. However the side profile shows 3 color TPS paint but the top profile shows overall light ghost grey. Photos I have are hard to tell. Leaning towards 3 color TPS . Anyone know for sure?

Cheers

Tom

If it is the Furball 1/48 Tomcats part 2, VF-142 is shown as dark GG at the top and sides, and light GG at the bottom, and no FS35237 (darkest gray) that normally appears in the TPS scheme. I have quite a few ref pics of those as well and I were to do it, I would stay away from 35237 and do DGG and LGG as the instructions show. Those would be more of a base color anyway and I would attempt some overall tonal variation that would eventually blend the grays. Hope this helps.

3 hours ago, Janissary said:

If it is the Furball 1/48 Tomcats part 2, VF-142 is shown as dark GG at the top and sides, and light GG at the bottom, and no FS35237 (darkest gray) that normally appears in the TPS scheme. I have quite a few ref pics of those as well and I were to do it, I would stay away from 35237 and do DGG and LGG as the instructions show. Those would be more of a base color anyway and I would attempt some overall tonal variation that would eventually blend the grays. Hope this helps.

Hello mate,

It is the tomcats sheet part XI. Think it was an update. I definitely fade the 35237 quite heavily when I build tomcats. Looks odd otherwise.

I have a few photos of this jet landing at an airshow in England and it looks like 35237 above the horizontal stab. But the wing glove area looks very light with no discernable demarcation line. Weird!

Thanks for the help and advice. Your 1980s ghostrider was a work of art.

1 hour ago, Brian P: Fightertown Decals said:

These jets were mostly Dark Ghost Gray. No Light Ghost Gray on the sides or tops.

89A1713C-46F4-48E2-9F1A-49596E15E388.jpeg

Thanks Brian!

That's the exact one. Light ghost grey on the belly? Any 35237? Or overall dark ghost gray? 

Thank you as always for the help.

To my knoweldge, VF-142 never received TARPS capability. Its sister squadron VF-143 deployed TARPS for CVW-7. This (and probably its non-political-correct insignia and squadron name were fundamental in it being disbanded.

If you search VF-142 on FICKR, a lot of VF-142 pics show up, some of them quite high res.

B/r

Michael

2 hours ago, SCOUT712 said:

To my knoweldge, VF-142 never received TARPS capability. Its sister squadron VF-143 deployed TARPS for CVW-7. This (and probably its non-political-correct insignia and squadron name were fundamental in it being disbanded.

If you search VF-142 on FICKR, a lot of VF-142 pics show up, some of them quite high res.

B/r

Michael

I just had a look on flicker. Thanks for the tip! I found a lot of great stuff on their. 

Oct '92 we did a 4 V 4 against VF-142 F-14B's as a final hoorah for one of their pilots in leadership.....those 4 were in darker grey TPS-ish colors....including the one that gunned the living daylights out of our poor little dark grey TA-4J... as we ran out of energy chasing another F-14B. 

I can still close my eyes and see the F-14B in front of us easily climb straight up in full F110 blower x 2 (like two little "suns" as I mentioned in the debrief)....as we just lagged below out of energy to follow...then (at my pilots asking) I turned my head and witnessed the perfect front profile of a F-14B just sitting at our 4-5 o'clock "gunning" the crap out of us.   

Cheers

Collin

19 hours ago, Collin said:

Oct '92 we did a 4 V 4 against VF-142 F-14B's as a final hoorah for one of their pilots in leadership.....those 4 were in darker grey TPS-ish colors....including the one that gunned the living daylights out of our poor little dark grey TA-4J... as we ran out of energy chasing another F-14B. 

I can still close my eyes and see the F-14B in front of us easily climb straight up in full F110 blower x 2 (like two little "suns" as I mentioned in the debrief)....as we just lagged below out of energy to follow...then (at my pilots asking) I turned my head and witnessed the perfect front profile of a F-14B just sitting at our 4-5 o'clock "gunning" the crap out of us.   

Cheers

Collin

Mate now thats a great TINS tale! What an experience. Thank you so much for sharing.