1/48 - Hawker Tempest Mk.II by Special Hobby - released

On 5/12/2021 at 5:37 PM, Falconxlvi said:

Ordered!  I am really looking forward to this one 

Hey Steve, where did you order yours from?  I gotta get one!

57 minutes ago, Falconxlvi said:

Ah, perfect. thank you, my friend!  Just registered at Special Hobby and ordered my Tempest Mk. II also!  I am definitely a Tempest junkie, and was thrilled to see that they were offering this variant.  I also have confidence, hopefully not misplaced, of a good fitting model, given that it is mostly, hopefully, Eduard plastic.  This will be Tempest kit number 5 that I'll have in my stash, plus the Mk. 5 Series 2 that I've already built.  Plus the absurd number of Spitfires and Fw190 variants I have in the stash, too.  Where am I going to put them all when they're done?  My wife has been worried about what I'm going to do about storing more boxes of unbuilt models...I'm more worried about where I'm going to put the finished ones!

Edited by Curt B
30 minutes ago, Curt B said:

Ah, perfect. thank you, my friend!  Just registered at Special Hobby and ordered my Tempest Mk. II also!  I am definitely a Tempest junkie, and was thrilled to see that they were offering this variant.  I also have confidence, hopefully not misplaced, of a good fitting model, given that it is mostly, hopefully, Eduard plastic.  This will be Tempest kit number 5 that I'll have in my stash, plus the Mk. 5 Series 2 that I've already built.  Plus the absurd number of Spitfires and Fw190 variants I have in the stash, too.  Where am I going to put them all when they're done?  My wife has been worried about what I'm going to do about storing more boxes of unbuilt models...I'm more worried about where I'm going to put the finished ones!

These are good problems to have Curt, and cement your status as a hard-corp modeler to your fellow ARCites 

2 hours ago, Falconxlvi said:

These are good problems to have Curt, and cement your status as a hard-corp modeler to your fellow ARCites 

Indeed, sir!

15 hours ago, barkin mad said:

Curt, if you are a Tempest nut then you my be interested to know that there has been one being restored to airworthy condition at Sywell in the UK, it's due to make it's first flight soon.......

https://www.facebook.com/UltimateWarbirdFlights

Oh wow!!!!  Super cool, barkin!!!  Thank you for the link...I'll definitely keep an eye out for the first flight!!

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2021 at 4:11 PM, Falconxlvi said:

Hey Steve...just got my Special Hobby Tempest Mk. II that I ordered from Special Hobby.  I'm impressed with the instructions and parts...very much Eduard-like, and, as we know, most of the parts are Eduard.  It will be fun doing that airplane!  Did you get yours, yet, and if so, what do you think?

On a different note, did you ever get a chance to look at my desert/US Spitfire (http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/317491-spitfire-ixc-early-version/&tab=comments#comment-3049084) Just curious about your opinion.

On 6/9/2021 at 5:57 PM, Curt B said:

Hey Steve...just got my Special Hobby Tempest Mk. II that I ordered from Special Hobby.  I'm impressed with the instructions and parts...very much Eduard-like, and, as we know, most of the parts are Eduard.  It will be fun doing that airplane!  Did you get yours, yet, and if so, what do you think?

On a different note, did you ever get a chance to look at my desert/US Spitfire (http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?/topic/317491-spitfire-ixc-early-version/&tab=comments#comment-3049084) Just curious about your opinion.

Howdy Curt, I’m sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you!  I’ve been on a two week road trip with the family all around the PNW.   I’m guessing my tempest my be in the mail when I get home and am hoping that it is!   Happy to hear it looks so great in the box!  I’m excited about the resin engine block included as well.   

I DID get a chance to look at your spitfire!  You are improving with each build and the Spitfire came out really great.   I think you can refine the weathering a bit more next time out by blending some of the effects a bit more (especially the dust pigments).  I have been looking at armor modeling a bit more for some inspiration on weathering techniques and although airplanes will never be as beat up as tanks, I feel like there are some things to be learned from that genre.  I highly recommend Mike Rinaldi’s TankArt series books for some incredible inspiration!   

Also, I WILL be attending nationals with my dad!  I’m not sure if I can finish my P-47M in time but I will try.  See you there!

Steve

On 6/19/2021 at 10:27 AM, Falconxlvi said:

Howdy Curt, I’m sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you!  I’ve been on a two week road trip with the family all around the PNW.   I’m guessing my tempest my be in the mail when I get home and am hoping that it is!   Happy to hear it looks so great in the box!  I’m excited about the resin engine block included as well.   

I DID get a chance to look at your spitfire!  You are improving with each build and the Spitfire came out really great.   I think you can refine the weathering a bit more next time out by blending some of the effects a bit more (especially the dust pigments).  I have been looking at armor modeling a bit more for some inspiration on weathering techniques and although airplanes will never be as beat up as tanks, I feel like there are some things to be learned from that genre.  I highly recommend Mike Rinaldi’s TankArt series books for some incredible inspiration!   

Also, I WILL be attending nationals with my dad!  I’m not sure if I can finish my P-47M in time but I will try.  See you there!

Steve

Hey Steve!

No worries on getting back to me.  Glad you were doing the family thing...sounds like fun.  

I'm sure you will be thrilled with the new Tempest.  For all intent and purpose, it's an Eduard kit, and you know what that means...great things!  I might be inclined to do one of these with small engine panel open, but not is that's the only Tempest Mk. II that I build.  I'll need at least one more...LOL

I agree that I went a bit over the top with the weathering on my US Spitfire...though I intended to make it really desert dirty.  And I have all 4 of Michael Rinaldi's TankArt books...that man creates THE most realistic armor weathering I've ever seen, and it can be frustrating to see, as it makes me, sometimes, want to throw in the towel.  But his work is definitely something to aspire to.  I plan to do a Marine M1A2 Abrams tank that is the most rust/dirt encrusted vehicle I have ever seen, at least for a running tank, and I plan to use his TankArt books extensively as guidance.

I'm THRILLED you're coming to the National!  I'm debating if I want to enter any of my models into the show, but as of the moment, I don't think I have any that are up to sufficient standards.  I may try to select one to build from the start with a National entry in mind, though 2 months to begin and complete a model two that level is likely an impossibility for me.  I think you should absolutely work hard to get your P-47 done for the show.  I can't imagine that it wouldn't do very, very well.  I'll  send you my cell number in a PM.

Curt

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...