USAF Now Allows Helmet Art

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/38402/fighter-pilots-are-taking-full-advantage-of-the-air-forces-lifted-ban-on-custom-helmet-art

Previous strict USAF rules regarding any changes to flying helmets have been relaxed as part of a push to improve morale in squadrons and empower the more junior ranks. The result is some stunning helmet wraps that are now appearing in increasing numbers throughout the Air Force. These helmet decals are often designed to represent an individual squadron or airframe and foster esprit de corps among the aircrews that wear them.

Disgruntled officers approached then USAF Chief of Staff Gen Dave Goldfein in 2019 to seek his blessing to implement changes in regulations as part of the wider bid to help improve squadron culture and morale, thus helping to address a serious issue with retention. U.S. Naval aviators have traditionally customized their flying helmets with reflective tape, callsigns, and squadron emblems, but USAF aircrews have been prohibited from doing so in recent years due to specific Air Force Instructions, or AFIs.

I'm glad helmet art is being allowed. It looks like the F-35 community isn't yet getting the waivers. I'd like to try doing this in 1/48 scale.

USAF F-16 Helmet art.jpg

When morale is in the crapper, you have to make some concessions. 
So who is responsible for creating these? In the Navy, do the PR (Parachute Riggers) have to make them? This is new to the USAF, so I'm curious. 

Some squadrons are contacting shops that do graphics for cars and laptops, and it looks like one pilot started a company to make the graphics/wraps:

https://www.nugget-wraps.com

While some squadrons are using local firms to wrap their helmets, Brad “Scooby” Hunt has started Nugget Wraps, a company specializing in a bespoke service. Hunt told The War Zone that his motivation was to help improve morale among fighter pilots. “I tried to find a local company to wrap a helmet, but they either said no or it turned out terrible. So, one weekend I decided to try to figure out how to do it for myself. I looked at how the Navy does it, and it’s actually not a single piece, they use adhesive strips. So I went to a car shop and got some red, white and blue vinyl, and wrapped my first flying helmet.”

Given the cost and complexity of the F-35 helmet I’m not surprised. 

(for some reason I couldn’t add my comment above)  

Edited by habu2
8 hours ago, TaiidanTomcat said:

We like to give leadership a hard time a lot, but this will definitely fix morale. no need to make tangible, important decisions about that anymore

funny_demotivational_posters_12.jpg.

Send in the Drones ...

190305-f-ha049-003-jpg-1551985824.jpg

-Gregg