Great Prop Weathering Reference Photos

The jet forum has a great topic going with weathering photos for modern aircraft, thought maybe start one for Prop aircraft. 

I noticed the fading on the top surfaces of the Skyraiders.  But noticed the outer wings are not.  My guess is because of the wings being folded...

wdEATNQl.jpg

Great idea!! Thanks for doing this. I am sure it will become very useful. I like your hypothesis about the wing fading differential, but I have a question for you: Did the Skyraider's outer wings fold up and towards the fuselage, as the Corsair did for example? If so, would it then not follow that the folded outer wings would shade the inner wings from the sun and elements thus preventing fading?? 🤔

2 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:

I am sure that would happen, Jamie.  I suspect the Skyraider above might have had its wing replaced, taken off a less weathered bird.

Yup. That's where I was heading as well. 

On 5/11/2021 at 3:43 PM, Jamie Cheslo said:

Great idea!! Thanks for doing this. I am sure it will become very useful. I like your hypothesis about the wing fading differential, but I have a question for you: Did the Skyraider's outer wings fold up and towards the fuselage, as the Corsair did for example? If so, would it then not follow that the folded outer wings would shade the inner wings from the sun and elements thus preventing fading?? 🤔

nVowIkll.jpg

They did fold upward, however, there is a sizeable gap between the wing tips, where it is possible for sunlight to shine in.    

It just seemed unique because all the aircraft seem to have the same pattern of weathering, or at least that's how i see it.  

9 hours ago, eraucubsfan said:

nVowIkll.jpg

They did fold upward, however, there is a sizeable gap between the wing tips, where it is possible for sunlight to shine in.    

It just seemed unique because all the aircraft seem to have the same pattern of weathering, or at least that's how i see it.  

Yes, I see what you mean. So if the Skyraider's wingfold mechanism sits the same way as the Bearcat?? above then I can definitely see how the inner wing panels could become significantly more faded. Cheers!! 

On 5/13/2021 at 10:44 AM, dogsbody said:

I guess I misunderstood this topic's title. 

I thought it was about weathering propeller blades. My bad!

You are not alone.  I thought wing weathering was just a brief side topic.  I had to look at the topic again to see the parallel with the weathering topics in Jets.

On 5/13/2021 at 12:44 PM, eraucubsfan said:

They did fold upward, however, there is a sizeable gap between the wing tips, where it is possible for sunlight to shine in

Plus, the sun is hardly ever directly overhead, so light will get in obliquely from front and rear.

A good test to confirm whether it's because of the folded wings would be to check the undersides of aircraft in the same colour scheme.  The outer panels should be even more strongly faded than the inner panels, since they'll get no shade while the inner panels are permanently shaded.  Another check could be the tailplanes - in the OP's picture they do look more faded, and they never get shaded by other parts of the airframe.

However (there's always a however) you also have to bear in mind that no aircraft spends its whole life out in the sun.  At sea, there usually have to be some on deck, but they'll spend a good deal of time in the hangar.  Ashore, it'll depend on the airfield - how much undercover space do they have, and do they fold the wings when they park their aircraft?  Another factor is that the colour difference might have as much to do with salt in the air as it does with light.  So, on balance, I'm not sure those aircraft are necessarily sun-faded - but it's still an interesting feature.  I wonder what in my stash would suit it ...