Thanks to Covid I got back into doing the odd Aircraft in the last year. I have been unaware of any models over the last ten years or so.

My main interest is finescale UK model railways, in October 19 we moved into our new home, the intention was a new hobby room for me, this is very much approaching on the horizon, so Ian will soon have by the year end I will have a 5m x 7.5 m model hobby room self contained, only draw back I have to build it and extension! 

So the odd Aircraft can occupy me when I have down time during the build.

I have been assembling a few models which seem to follow a "listening" theme. The E3 is the biggest of this collection. 

I had chance to visit my "local" model shop and came across face to face a Heller 707, I wasn't even aware this was available!!  My thinking at that stage buy it and use it as a basis for a Sentry...Then a few searches and online had E3's for less than the 707 a few more quid was used...

I guess the model is OK scale wise it has the proportions off a e3 from my very limited knowledge of them. What struck me is the lack of much detail with the kit, so how to address that?

In the last two weeks I have further been back to the bank and bought:-

Combat Conversions E3D Resin conversion kit with decals (oh and Joint Rivet why oh why oh why, lovely details)

Flightpath etch E3D some nice touches contained within these etches

Brengun 707 general detail etch which are on their way to me...

I had also looked at sourcing the eduard etch but think Brengun and Flightpath have similar details 

Scaleaircraftconversions whitemetal lending gear is also under consideration.

Is there anything else aftermarket I haven't come across or mentioned which could be worth considering?

Edited by iggy
58 minutes ago, Dutch said:

iggy,  Sounds like you're off to a good start.

Thanks! 

I am used to adding bits to kits but this aero stuff the parts are a bit more "complete" I think, in 4mm UK railways there are very few complete kits. with people like etchers offering a variety of parts for one item but rarely sold as a project. 

Its refreshing getting a box of parts like the Combat Conversion and Flightpath which seem so complete.

21 minutes ago, iggy said:

Thanks! 

I am used to adding bits to kits but this aero stuff the parts are a bit more "complete" I think, in 4mm UK railways there are very few complete kits. with people like etchers offering a variety of parts for one item but rarely sold as a project. 

Its refreshing getting a box of parts like the Combat Conversion and Flightpath which seem so complete.

Oh I dont know.
I not long ago built up a 507 set...
Ends in one set, bodies in another, boogies from the same company as the bodies but did have to make up my own PE for it all.

I work in OO gauge too, but made a couple of O gauge too.

48 minutes ago, ElectroSoldier said:

Oh I dont know.
I not long ago built up a 507 set...
Ends in one set, bodies in another, boogies from the same company as the bodies but did have to make up my own PE for it all.

I work in OO gauge too, but made a couple of O gauge too.

OOOOH I *meant* the after market stuff Like Eduard as extra aftermarket, buying a set or a sheet of etches. But yes I guess an aircraft equals one railway vehicle...sort of thing.

How was the 507? I had a hand in the 503 from Mike Edge many years ago.

I do EM and have P4/S4 stuff to just muddy the pool!

Hey there Ian,

I think we have been chatting about these aftermarket bits over on Britmodeller in my Heller E-3A thread (I am Romeo Alpha Yankee over there).

I have built the E-3D for the RAF 100th Anniversary as well. I did not use after market on that one but did correct some parts as well as updating the antenna fit for the time period of my build. AS I mentioned elsewhere I found the Flightpath parts are a bit oversized so I made my own in this case.

Here is a build thread detailing the corrections I made as I went

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235037410-airfix-e-3d-823r-sqn-zh103/

18 hours ago, iggy said:

OOOOH I *meant* the after market stuff Like Eduard as extra aftermarket, buying a set or a sheet of etches. But yes I guess an aircraft equals one railway vehicle...sort of thing.

How was the 507? I had a hand in the 503 from Mike Edge many years ago.

I do EM and have P4/S4 stuff to just muddy the pool!

It went together as expected.
Over the years Ive gotten used to working without instructions, the kit basic... I mean a cab end is a cab end, it doesnt take much to figure out how to make the one look like the prototype.

8 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

Hey there Ian,

I think we have been chatting about these aftermarket bits over on Britmodeller in my Heller E-3A thread (I am Romeo Alpha Yankee over there).

I have built the E-3D for the RAF 100th Anniversary as well. I did not use after market on that one but did correct some parts as well as updating the antenna fit for the time period of my build. AS I mentioned elsewhere I found the Flightpath parts are a bit oversized so I made my own in this case.

Here is a build thread detailing the corrections I made as I went

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235037410-airfix-e-3d-823r-sqn-zh103/

Guilty as charged! 

Thanks for the link for your previous build

On 5/15/2021 at 6:29 AM, ElectroSoldier said:

It went together as expected.
Over the years Ive gotten used to working without instructions, the kit basic... I mean a cab end is a cab end, it doesnt take much to figure out how to make the one look like the prototype.

have you motorised it?

Ive tried their paints. They seem rather typical for acrylics, nothing to write home about, but then that goes for all acrylics for me.
But on the whole Ive nothing bad to say about them at all really.

I used Vallejo retarder and flow improver to try and stabilize them and stop the tip dry problem you get with all acrylics, but thats a pretty universal thing with all of them.

As with all paints, your millage may vary.

I have seen this before with Welsh Model engines which they replace the undersized part with the appropriately sized recast part.

I assume this is from the Flightpath set?

Perhaps send them an email to show the issue?

Edited by Trojan Thunder
5 hours ago, Trojan Thunder said:

I have seen this before with Welsh Model engines which they replace the undersized part with the appropriately sized recast part.

I assume this is from the Flightpath set?

Perhaps send them an email to show the issue?

This is from a Combat Conversions set, sent an email about some omitted parts, then one after realising they shouldn't be like that.

He wants the kit back in the first instance to swap it...no mention about engines in that email!

Edited by iggy