Low Level Hell Podcast

For any rotorheads who do podcasts, check out the Low Level Hell Podcast.   It's hosted by an Army Apache pilot who prior to that, flew OH-58D's (and was WIA while deployed in Iraq).   The guy has some really fascinating guests; most of the focus is on military helo pilots (including many non-US pilots).   The latest episode (which I think airs later this week) has a very special guest, Col (ret) Hugh Mills.   Hugh flew Cobras and Loaches in Vietnam and is an absolute legend.  Well worth checking out.

The Low Level Hell Podcast | The Low Level Hell Podcast

See the source image

See the source image

COL Mills used to come speak at our Weapons and Tactics class in Yuma Az twice a year. The house was packed every time!  An absolute must hear if you’re a rotor dude. 

I bought the 1/6 scale OH-58 from Dragon (I think) anyways it was huge, and he signed the model for me. He even initialed the GI Joe sized pilot right on the chest. He is a great speaker and highly recommend him. 

R/Gunny

Thank you so much for the heads up 11bee!

Listened to the Mills episode this morning. Awesome to hear the man speak after having read Low Level Hell several times; listening to his stories make them even more real. Terrific story teller, humorous and modest.

Also great to hear mr. Mills say that that a second book and a documentary are in the making! 

Edited by GeejeeZ
22 hours ago, GeejeeZ said:

Thank you so much for the heads up 11bee!

Listened to the Mills episode this morning. Awesome to hear the man speak after having read Low Level Hell several times; listening to his stories make them even more real. Terrific story teller, humorous and modest.

Also great to hear mr. Mills say that that a second book and a documentary are in the making! 

I think the Squadron “Gunslingers in Action” book (which focuses heavily on Col Mills) was one of the main reasons I ended up joining the Army.   Just an amazing story this guy has.  

I’m so glad that he ended up on this podcast (I had a small role in making this happen), also stoked that he has a second book in the works.  I really wish Hollywood would consider doing a movie based on his story.  

Hugh Mills' 'Low Level Hell' and Squadron/Signal's "Gunslingers in action" were why I chose to fly Cobras.  I was a Blackhawk guy up to two weeks prior to aircraft selection in flight school.  Then I read both of those books, in a weekend, and was instantly sold on the Cavalry gunship idea.  It spoke to me.  Since I was third in my class I had a choice of aircraft and I chose Cobras.  The rest as they say is history.

Hugh and I have been friends for years.  I was lucky enough to fly with him once as a police officer and we got 2.1 hours of flight time and one arrest out of that flight.  A cherished memory.

Floyd

Edited by Floyd S. Werner, Jr.

I finally got a chance to listen to the podcast.  Good stuff, as I expected.   Very excited that Hugh is working on a follow-up book to LLH and also, he mentioned that there is a documentary in the works that followed him to Vietnam, to the site of a particularly bloody battle he was involved in.  During his visit, he met members of the NVA anti-aircraft company that he was fighting against.   Sound like it'll be an amazing documentary.    Wish Hollywood would consider doing a movie version of LLH (ideally with a director that sweats the details).   

Kinda makes me wish there was a decent OH-6A kit out there!