Tamiya 1/48 F-4B Phantom II *** TEST SHOT ***

My local hobby shop amazingly got a test shot of the upcoming 1/48 Tamiya F-4B Phantom II and the owner asked me to build to for his shop.    So I thought I'd share it with you all.

I am not a photographer (using an older smartphone camera) and I've never submitted anything here, but I think you all will enjoy this.  I've only assembled a few parts but I am VERY impressed with this kit thus far.

The box and photocopied directions so you know I'm not pulling your collective legs (no decals, masks, etc. were included):

IMG_8333

Nose gear well.

IMG_8359

Test-fitting the cockpit tub and wheel well into the fuselage.

IMG_8360

Holding the fuselage halves together.  This kit thus far fits REALLLY well.

IMG_8358

Thus far?  This fits like a glove.  

I'm not the fastest builder, so please be patient 🙂

More cockpit dry-fitting.  The engineering is amazing.  If you enjoyed the Tamiya F-14A/D kits, you will likely enjoy this just as much.  Small sprue gates, the plastic cuts and sands easily, and the parts just *click* into place.  The only pin marks I've seen so far will be hidden by the ejection seats.

IMG_8366

IMG_8368

The engines are just as well-engineered.  The join between the top and bottom pieces are right along a 'panel line'.  And the flame holders and turbines look great too.

IMG_8372

Sorry, I need a third hand to hold it all together!

IMG_8374

And this is how they mount to the airframe.  They also act like a space to keep everything lined up:

IMG_8376

That's impressive engineering, I love the integration of the spacer function into the exhausts design. I look forward to an E version - I hope Tamiya will do it instead of stopping at one or two versions as they so often do 😕

Edited by arnobiz

Some base painting done - here are some cockpit components, the nose wheel well and the engines:

IMG_8388

The cockpit sidewalls:

IMG_8386

Test-fitting the tub into the fuselage:

IMG_8390

IMG_8392

Edited by MattN

A minor update - fitting the wings and main gear well parts.    The main piece is a rather large section, with reinforcing ribs, and it fits quite snugly against the bottom wing.  There are some detail parts that slide in, and make up the sidewalls of the wheel wells.  There are a few holes to drill out on the bottom wing piece too.

IMG_8394

Even though it fits well, a few clamps never hurt - keeps it flush and square:

IMG_8396

The upper wings fit VERY well.  The sprue gates, though, are on the mating surface of the bottom wing piece.  Take care in removing the stubs and be sure to sand them flush to ensure a good fit.

IMG_8400

A very nice touch is being able to see the engines, etc. through the doors on the belly of the aircraft. 

IMG_8402

I'm kinda bouncing around here and there, seeing how parts fit, etc. 

Edited by MattN

Some more progress the cockpit is just about done and ready to clear-coat and give it a wash to bring out the details.  The airframe is just resting in place.  I fiddled with the tailfin too (not glued in place yet either).

IMG_8418

The flash washes out some details, to be sure - but it gives you an idea:

IMG_8419

Another view.  You can see from the pic that the spine will be a one-piece unit that fits right along the panel lines - clever.

IMG_8420

Started on the seats too:

IMG_8422

Edited by MattN

Much progress on the Tamiya F-4B.  The cockpit was given a pin wash using Abteilung oils (Starship Filth), some very light drybrushing, flat-coated, and a fair amount of the airframe is assembled:

IMG_8436

IMG_8439

The tailfin is glued in place (missing a few detail parts).  There is a TINY gap along the base, which I can fill with Mr. Surfacer1000 and wipe the excess away with a Q-tip and rubbing alcohol:

IMG_8441

The piece that makes up the underside of the nose, and the nosecone, are not glued in place yet - hence the gaps.

IMG_8443

Edited by MattN
typos
  • 2 weeks later...

A small update today - been a busy last couple of weeks.

The intakes have been fitted.  I tried to get some good photos that look down the intakes, but they didn't tun out that well.  But there are full-run intakes in there, and engine faces.  The seams took a bit of work (sand-putty-paint-sand-putty-paint) and I think they turned out quite well.

IMG_0006

The stabilizers have been fitted.  The are a one-piece unit, that are on poly caps, so they pivot up and down.  You have a choice of slotted and non-slotted stabs.  They fit into the bottom portion of the aft fuselage, and that assembly fits nicely into the tail.

IMG_0007

IMG_0008

I am using Mr. Surfacer 1000 as my filler, and a LOT of what I have had to use (which hasn't been much) has been removed with Q-tips and rubbing alcohol or lacquer thinner.  I've had to do very little sanding on the seams thus far (I take responsibility for any fit issues, the kit really does pretty much  fall together).

• 3 weeks later...

Small update - been busy and haven't had as much time as I want to work on this wonderful kit (plus I am also working on an Italeri M-901 ITV).

Added some Eduard PE seatbelts to the kit seats.  Don't know if they are 100% accurate, but as far as I can tell, the cockpit really doesn't need anything else!

IMG_0025

I goofed up one of the kit nozzles, so I took a chance and purchased some KA Models 3D-printed F-4 nozzles (closed) for a different look.

IMG_0026

I had to thin the edges of the fuselage to get a better fit, and I like the look.

IMG_0027

Edited by MattN
9 minutes ago, dai phan said:

Does this cockpit need an Eduard PE set? I know I will not be able to paint the instrument panels/consoles that matches the quality of the Eduard's PE set. But how long do I have to wait for it? Dai  

You can do one better than Eduard PE set. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/quintamodellingstudio/permalink/1455344634822161/