This F-18B Hornet is going into the paint shop!

This model has been driving me crazy for a year every time I walk past it I know the colors are all wrong. So a bit of history...I originally purchased the Twobobs F-18B "Rough Raiders" decal set. It became apparant that the FS codes for the paint did not match the decal color at all.

20200215_195053-338x450.jpg

This is the called for FS colors with the decals aarrrgg!

So then I did exstensive color matching to try and fix the problem. Even then the middle shade and dark shade are way too close together and ended up almost indistinguishable from oneanother.

20200215_195303-338x450.jpg

The final paint was ok but I still had to tint the entire model with decals applied with a pigment powder.

20200314_201821_resized-600x315.jpg

On a whim of intrest I actually found a sheet of Fightertown decals for the "Wicked West Coast Hornets" they have the same marking for the unit VFA-125 but their decals are the correct colors. You can see here how dramatic the differnce is in what is supposed to be the same shade of brown FS30279 U.S. Desert Sand.

20210517_194046-368x450.jpg

If there is one thing I strive for its color accuracy so the OCD has kicked in and this bug is going into the paintshop. This wont be a easy endevour I am going to start with removing the canopy, landing gear and drop tank. Ill need to soak the entire model in 99%  isopropyl for 20 min then hit it with a tooth brush to get back to plastic. try to do this without disturbing the cockpit interior. I am thinking if I can mask off the cokpit I can mist spray the fuselage keeping it wet without submerging it. 

Wish me luck ill post photo's as I get into it any tips from anyone who has done this before. I am really looking forward to repainting this jet in the proper colors with the proper decals.

I am also going to apply my newly developed post shading process I did on the TA-4J Scooter Bandit to this bug.

Sometimes my friends the modeling gods smile upon us😃

This is working better than I expected I started by removing the canopy, landing gear, drop tank and gear doors. 

I sprayed the isopropynol alcohol 99% starting on the drop tank let it soak in for about 10 min then took a toothbrush to it. Within five min I had it completey stripped and cleaned off with a soft makup pad soaked in clean alcohol.

It appears to be gently on anything but paint I was worried about glued seams and putty fillers but it didnt effect them life is good.🤗

20210520_192315-338x450.jpg

20210520_192511-338x450.jpg

20210520_193145-338x450.jpg

Now onto the rest of the model post later.

Night owl "up all night"

On 5/18/2021 at 8:01 AM, Night Owl Models said:

If there is one thing I strive for its color accuracy so the OCD has kicked in and this bug is going into the paintshop.

I'm with you brother. Color accuracy is an issue that I'm striving to get it right for the past thirty-something years on my adversary aircraft models. So many FSs, so many companies that produce them both as enamel and acrylics paints and then you have the decals (when you can find them at reasonable prices) and the references to juggle and understand which one of the many is showing the correct colour hue, and the list goes on. But, I am happy with this accuracy exploration because in difficult times it helps keep my interest alive.

Onto the main fuselage tonight 

20210521_202153-600x292.jpg

It took about three hours to get the paint off. Pretty messy it takes alot of rinsing the brush and removing excess with Qtips and swabs.

20210522_222644-600x450.jpg

Re-masking the cockpit.

I will repaint the wheel wells then mask them off. I think then it's ready for a primer coat. I'll just over spray the gear doors.

20210522_222515-600x450.jpg

Edited by Night Owl Models
Update
  • 2 weeks later...
20210524_220344-600x450.jpg

Here goes the desert sand primer coat and the initial first color.

This the first coat I post shaded with a lighter sand colour then have it a light mist coat to tone down the post shade highlights.

20210527_202701-600x450.jpg

Masking second colour and spraying it out.

20210528_220211-600x450.jpg

I love the AK interactive camo putty so easy to work with. In round a key element using it is to let it sit for 15min to settle. That way you get super smooth flowing pattern edges not chunky like it a was brush edge.

Yes, looking good!

You are better than me, despite having OCD with stuff like this as well, I dont think I could go through the process on a built model, I'd end up out of pocket by starting with a new kit over again..😆

Not sure if I missed it, but what type of paints was it done in originally, Acrylic's?......and yes, Fightertown's Decals are as accurate as they get!

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Lol thanks...the cost is time and patients. The original finish was Vallejo acrylics with AK interactive clear Matt coat.

Before all these great paint lines there was Model Master enamels remember that! I have an F-16C about 20yrs old. I would like to strip it down the old gray scheme add some PE upgrade kits, new seat, paint and decals. 

I think if you have old tired models why throw them into the parts bin. If you can develop a process to upgrade and resurrect that's real fun modelling.

I'm interested to see your build finished and I agree, throwing your old builds to the bin of spare parts is not right. Reviving them is the best way. I have a Hasegawa 1/48 F-4C that my dad bought me when I was 14 (that was many decades ago), and I am currently rebuilding it. But, I will keep the LG bays' doors as they are just to remind me from where I have started as a scale modeller.

Keep up the good work!

15 hours ago, Night Owl Models said:

Lol thanks...the cost is time and patients. The original finish was Vallejo acrylics with AK interactive clear Matt coat.

Right, thanks Night Owl.

Cheer's,

Jeff.

Recap photos 

Before-too orange 

20200314_200044_resized-600x338.jpg

After

20210619_223944-600x294.jpg

Real aircraft

fa17f2eac1b0f02898005a9cabf77ec3-600x402

I am happy with the results it was worth the work. Knowing the colours are correct makes me feel better about the project and learning new skills.

Thanks for looking. If your interested in the colors and paint used drop me a message.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Fantastic job...I don’t have the guts to do what you did regarding paint stripping, unless I was prepared to trash the model and rebuild if it turned out bad.  Really great job!

And let me second the opinion on the AK Ultra Matte Varnish.  It is my ONLY flat finish, have used it for years, and so easy to use, airbrush or regular brush, water based so no mess, and perfect finish.  Best stuff out there for flat, in my opinion!

Edited by Curt B