Scribing over filler/putty

I remember when Humbrol first released their model filler. It was always a problem that you couldnt scribe panel lines back into the model, which gave rise to masking before filling and using the glue as a filler.
Today  its sprue glue that does the trick.

I used sprue goo on my model collect B-2, have been filling/sanding for a long time now on it. Tried scrubbing use tamiya scriber and did not look to good. I looked the other day at it and it looks ok, especially after some light sanding.

I like the red Bondo (automotive filler). To me the key to scribing neatly over any putty is to use a razor saw first like suggested above. This works great especially for long straight lines or curves with moderate curvatures. 

If scribing, say, an oval panel line, doing rivets, or something similar, I think it can be tricky unless you tread slowly with a template. Even then, the dreaded chipping of the putty is hard to control against. I have found both Mr. Hobby and Tamiya putties to be very prone to this. But with thinly applied lacquer thinner or Tamiya green the hard chipped edges can be softened a bit.

Others seem to have success but I've never had luck with sprue goo. But if you can get that to work, that's probably the best material to scribble over once cured.