Spangdahlem F-105 Thunderchief questions

Hi all,

For my Spangdahlem Heritage project I'm also planning to build a F-105F (and maybe a F-105D) next in addition to the F-4E, F-4G, A-10A, F-15C and F-16CJ.

After a very long search decals have been located and obtained, so now I can focus on the kits and their configurations. 🙂 

I will build a bare metal or Aluminium F-105F, as these are the decals for that I've found and it will most likely be a Monogram or Revell kit.

Now I only need to look for an interesting loadout.

Can anybody help me with the following questions:

1:  Were any of the Spangdahlem based F-105F's upgraded to Weasel standard during 1966-1967 with self-protection kits and equipment needed to fire AGM-45's by installing a pair of external blister fairings on the lower central fuselage?

2: What colors were the F-105's in during their stay in Spangdahlem? I'm only able to find photo's and drawings of silver and aluminium F-105's.

This topic (https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235053309-the-thud-over-germany-f-105s-of-usafe/) states the following about the paintjobs:

- They were bare metal before the ‘Look Alike’ upgrades that started in 1962;

- They were painted aluminium after the ‘Look Alike’ upgrades;

- They were painted SEA camo after mainenance from 1965 and apparently lose all of their squadron markings. Unfortunately no photographic confirmation is shown.

The F-105G at Spangdahlem's gate in SEA camo (my picture) was most definitely not based there, as F-105F's only started to be upgraded to F-105G standards from 1968. 

According to the info I found online, Spangdahlem switched to F-4C's in 1967-1968 and the 49TFW was relocated to Holloman 1 July 1968. 

If that is the case then this (or any) F-105G couldn't be based at Spangdahlem. 

I therefore assume the SP markings on this F-105G are completely fictional and for display purposes only.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or corrections.

19900724_F-105G.jpg

47501051331_f9eb0e3b53_b.jpg

09dc9fc1fabdf6060de5f4cbfcbb44dc.jpg

On 6/1/2021 at 12:08 AM, VADM Fangschleister said:

Don't forget the F-4D from the 23 TFS.  

Indeed! And I think ! also need to consider the EF-4C too...

First I'm going decal hunting for the F-4D decals as I know these exist.

• 5 months later...
On 5/22/2021 at 5:10 PM, Finn said:

Some Bitburg F-105s from that time period can be seen here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/mdebock/albums/72157633718479218

they should give you an idea what European based Thuds were like.

Jari

Those are great photos! Question: some of the NMF birds look like unpainted aluminum, with a lot of contrasting surfaces, while others look like overall aluminum lacquer, much more uniform. Is that what the photos are actually showing, or were they all aluminum lacquered with a lot of wear?

23 hours ago, seawinder said:

Those are great photos! Question: some of the NMF birds look like unpainted aluminum, with a lot of contrasting surfaces, while others look like overall aluminum lacquer, much more uniform. Is that what the photos are actually showing, or were they all aluminum lacquered with a lot of wear?

If I remember correctly they used to be bare metal in the beginning, but during one of the upgrade programs they were painted overall aluminium.

21 hours ago, Susaschka said:

If I remember correctly they used to be bare metal in the beginning, but during one of the upgrade programs they were painted overall aluminium.

Only the B models were NMF but eventually painted aluminum under Project Look Alike. The D's were painted at the factory before delivery. The color difference is due to the underlying material causing tonal differences. Another interesting photo is the one is the USAF DeHaviland Beaver next to a French Bf 108 Taufin (sp). To best of my knowledge no EF-105F's or F-105G's were ever stationed in Europe.

Cheers :cheers:

Itch

Edited by Cajun21
On 11/19/2021 at 3:12 PM, Cajun21 said:

To best of my knowledge no EF-105F's or F-105G's were ever stationed in Europe.

Cheers :cheers:

Itch

If I've researced correctly, the SEAD/Wild Weasel mission was only introduced with the 52TFW with the (E)F-4C and no F-105's at Spangdahlem were ever tasked for this.

This really means I'm only left with a very clean F-105F with only two droptanks if I want it to be realistic.

Maybe I will try to scratchbuild the bomb bay after all, but we will see. 🙂

The F-105G at the gate of Spang has indeed never flown there, is 100% fictional, but it does exist.

As this is allready fictional, I will load this one up as a pure Weasel with a Centerline fueltank, one droptank, an AGM-78 and two AGM-45's.

Edited by Susaschka