FJ-3 Fury cockpit color

On 5/25/2021 at 5:15 PM, Corey said:

thanks!

where else besides the HB Fury and the Grand Phoenix Fury can the 200 gallon tanks be sourced?  

Probably the old Matchbox kit too.

20 hours ago, Corey said:

yeah, me too….I think!  🙂

Also, I'm beginning to think the -3 cockpit interiors were not repainted gray until the aircraft were being reassigned to the reserves. By then most if not all active USN cockpits were gray so as to keep it standard for the reserve pilots. My assumption anyway. 

5 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

It's a muzzle blast relief door.

Interesting!  That seems like a recipe for compressor stalls and other engine problems, venting gun gas into the intake.  

Edited by Corey

For those that may have been considering buying the rocket.aero DVD on the Fury in hopes of obtaining some additional information on the Fury, especially the -3...don't bother. Everything on the disc is available online. 

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, picknpluck said:

For the green cockpits, what color/paint are folks using?

For my first FJ-2 build, I used AK Russian cockpit turquoise with a little blue mixed in, then knocked down with a wash of black.

for my current builds, I used MRP 132 Interior Bronze Green with a little azure blue mixed in and then knocked down with a grey wash. 

I was initially mixing to get this, but I’m not sure how accurate this museum cockpit is.  

I’m now thinking the interior bronze green might be the closest.  Out of the bottle might work best actually.

8 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

The MRP colour is the one to go for: it's the only out-of-the-bottle colour I've found.

@Sabrejet what are your thoughts on that Hornet FJ-2 colors?  A museum repaint or shifted to the blue side by lighting/photography???

On 5/26/2021 at 11:00 PM, Corey said:

I was just rewatching that fabulous video posted above.  The Sidewinders being carried, are they practice rounds or live missiles?  I don’t think I’ve ever seen Sidewinders in those bright colors.  They must have been brand new in 1956 too, maybe part of the testing program?

I was wondering if they were practice rounds or live as well. In Ginter's book there's a small segment on the sidewinder. There are 4 B&W photos from the testing program with markings similar to the color footage from the video however the heads are different. There are also a few more B&W photos of operational Fury's with sidewinders and the bodies appear to be all white like later examples. The Fury was the first fighter to be deployed with the Sidewinder. I will be looking forward to Bert's new book on the Fury series. 

Edited by jpk
Added info.

The Sidewinder's are test articles, they are doing carrier suitability testing hence the blue rocket motors and orange seekers.

The rocket motors are inert, the seeker heads are test/live, they are testing how the seekers handle the carrier environment (i.e. cats/traps or what we call "shake n bake").

Operational (live) Sidewinders (AIM-9B's) were all white.

Edited by GW8345
1 hour ago, GW8345 said:

The Sidewinder's are test articles, they are doing carrier suitability testing hence the blue rocket motors and orange seekers.

The rocket motors are inert, the seeker heads are test/live, they are testing how the seekers handle the carrier environment (i.e. cats/traps or what we call "shake n bake").

Operational (live) Sidewinders (AIM-9B's) were all white.

Thanks for the info.