F-100D External Tanks - 200 Gallon?

Hello All!

I'm about to build several F-100Ds in 1/48 scale. In every reference photo I have for the individual Huns I want to build, the jet is carrying the external fuel tanks shown in the photo below.

I believe these are 200 gallon tanks, but I'm not sure. Any F-100 fanatics out there who could confirm this for me?

Also, if they are 200 gallon tanks, does anyone know where I can source them in 1/48?

Thanks!

4922610009_6a1bdff5a6_h.jpg

Yup, those are 200-gal tanks. Many years ago, Fox 3 Studios sold them in 1/48. I don't know if Gerry is still trading, but you can try contacting him through his Facebook page: LINK. Renaissance, from France, sells a 1/48 recon pod for the F-100 that looks like a modified 200-gal drop tank. 

Ben

1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

Yup, those are 200-gal tanks. Many years ago, Fox 3 Studios sold them in 1/48. I don't know if Gerry is still trading, but you can try contacting him through his Facebook page: LINK. Renaissance, from France, sells a 1/48 recon pod for the F-100 that looks like a modified 200-gal drop tank. 

Ben

Thanks for confirming this! I've also read that the 1/48 Revell/Monogram F-101 comes with the same 200 gallon tanks. Do you know if this is true?

Thanks again!

Hello!

The F-101 tanks are Sargent-Fletcher 400-gal tanks. They also made similar-looking tanks for the F-100 and H-21 helicopter. An ex-F-100 pilot I correspond with looked into the dimensions of the tanks and found the F-100 and F-101 400-gal tanks to be externally identical. Apparently, there were some internal differences, so you couldn’t mount an F-101 tank on an F-100 or vice-versa. Sort of like the high-speed centerline drop tanks for the F-4 later in its life being externally identical to the F-15’s tanks, but they weren’t interchangeable. From a scale modeling standpoint, you can mount some F-101 tanks to an F-100. The first picture here shows an F-100D with the 400-gal tanks: LINK

The 200-gal tanks were smaller and were shaped differently.

Ben

Edited by Ben Brown

The tanks in the image shared in the original post are the same or very similar to the large ferry tanks used by some models of the F-86 Sabre and were also seen on the USAF Sikorsky HH-3 'Jolly Green Giant' CSAR helicopters.  

On 5/25/2021 at 10:45 AM, Ben Brown said:

Ben

Thanks for this! I contacted Gerry and he's taking a look to see if he has any leftovers.

On 5/25/2021 at 8:18 PM, Ben Brown said:

Hello!

The F-101 tanks are Sargent-Fletcher 400-gal tanks. They also made similar-looking tanks for the F-100 and H-21 helicopter. An ex-F-100 pilot I correspond with looked into the dimensions of the tanks and found the F-100 and F-101 400-gal tanks to be externally identical. Apparently, there were some internal differences, so you couldn’t mount an F-101 tank on an F-100 or vice-versa. Sort of like the high-speed centerline drop tanks for the F-4 later in its life being externally identical to the F-15’s tanks, but they weren’t interchangeable. From a scale modeling standpoint, you can mount some F-101 tanks to an F-100. The first picture here shows an F-100D with the 400-gal tanks: LINK

The 200-gal tanks were smaller and were shaped differently.

Ben

Thanks for this as well. I could see in articles that people were using the tanks from F-101 kits, but they didn't really specify the tank size.

6 hours ago, jeffryfontaine said:

The tanks in the image shared in the original post are the same or very similar to the large ferry tanks used by some models of the F-86 Sabre and were also seen on the USAF Sikorsky HH-3 'Jolly Green Giant' CSAR helicopters.  

Thanks, I took a look and I'm pretty positive the 1/48 Hasegawa F-86F-40 comes with the same 200 gallon tanks used on the F-100. Now where to find someone to part with them?