Warren Bodie book on the P-38

Hey All,

Certainly not news to the many long standing experts on various types of airplanes, but I ordered and JUST received the Warren Bodie book 'The Lockheed P-38 Lightning'. I've just barely thumbed through it, but all the reviews I've read of it certainly seemed accurate...WOW, WHAT A BOOK!!!  It doesn't hurt that I am a P-38 fan, but it will be great as a reference for the forthcoming P-38 builds I have planned.  I've already built one P-38 ('Miss Virginia") from the absolutely stellar 1/48 Tamiya P-38F/G kit, with one more F/G plus an H in the stash, and hoping for a J/L forthcoming from Tamiya...COME ON MR. TAMIYA, pull out the stops, we want a P-38J/L!!!!  The book is going to be a spectacular reference for these builds...I can't wait!!!!

The above being said, does anyone have any recommendations for the best book about the P-47?  I see that Mr. Bodie also did a book on the P-47, and wondering if that book has the same standing in the P-47 world as his book about the P-38 does.  Thoughts?

Edited by Curt B

Yes, here's a link to the P-47 book on Amazon:  https://www.amazon.com/Republics-P-47-Thunderbolt-Seversky-Victory/dp/0962935913

And I've spent a bit more time thumbing through the P-38 book, and it is truly fabulous!  It is gong to be an excellent reference for my future P-38 builds! And I'm looking forward to reading it, too, not just looking at the photos  🥴

Edited by Curt B

I have both books, but haven’t looked at either for a long time (15+years). My impression at the time was the P-38 book was better than the P-47 one, but again that is an old recollection. I think we are still waiting for the P-47 book.

edit, added. Just saw your sig. We are currently enjoying our last night in Las Vegas, spent the day at the Valley of Fire and also visited an old friend in Henderson the other night, had dinner at Todds(?)

Edited by Chuck1945
On 5/29/2021 at 7:24 PM, Chuck1945 said:

I have both books, but haven’t looked at either for a long time (15+years). My impression at the time was the P-38 book was better than the P-47 one, but again that is an old recollection. I think we are still waiting for the P-47 book.

edit, added. Just saw your sig. We are currently enjoying our last night in Las Vegas, spent the day at the Valley of Fire and also visited an old friend in Henderson the other night, had dinner at Todds(?)

Sorry I didn't see your post until just now.  I hope you had a great time in my adopted city!  I'm coming up on 21 years here, originally from Chicago.

• 1 year later...

If your looking for another overall book on the P-38 you might consider Lightning Strikes: The Lockheed P-38 by Steve Blake.

I did contribute photo's to this book.

Lockheed P-38 Lightning (Crowood Aviation Series) by Jerry Scutts I thought was decent too.

Are your looking for certain unit's? There are some very good unit books out there.

Mike